PDA

View Full Version : Auction House for Boxing

Plinvestments
12-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Can anyone recommend a good auction house for consigning boxing memorabilia?

travrosty
12-10-2012, 10:08 AM
yes, collecting boxing for over 20 years, i can attest to Lelands being a great choice. they specialize in it and very knowledgable.

they don't play the 3rd party authenticator run around game with TPA's not qualified to give an opinion on boxing autographs, they use their own in house authenticators if you have autographs. if you have memorabilia, they have handled it all in the past, trophies, awards, rings, belts, robes, gloves, you name it. They know what they are doing.

Fair disclosure. I have no financial or other stake in their company, and I do not authenticate for them in any way. Some will give you their opinion but won't disclose they have a vested interest in an auction house.

toybulldog
12-10-2012, 02:27 PM
yes, collecting boxing for over 20 years, i can attest to Lelands being a great choice. they specialize in it and very knowledgable.

they don't play the 3rd party authenticator run around game with TPA's not qualified to give an opinion on boxing autographs, they use their own in house authenticators if you have autographs. if you have memorabilia, they have handled it all in the past, trophies, awards, rings, belts, robes, gloves, you name it. They know what they are doing.

Fair disclosure. I have no financial or other stake in their company, and I do not authenticate for them in any way. Some will give you their opinion but won't disclose they have a vested interest in an auction house.

Ditto, while at the International Boxing Hall of Fame each year they do seem to get the most praise and the other collectors I've talked to seem to have the most confidence in Lelands. Too many non-authentic items being passed by these TPA's for auction houses with no ryhme or reason to their authenticity. Here's a discussion on one of the poorest Marciano forged items I've come across yet it has been "authenticated" by a TPA company, PSA/DNA, and the auction house put an estimated value of $25,000 on it.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=157842&highlight=rocky+marciano+psa%2Fdna

With Lelands no TPA games, no false value added to non-authentic items. Quite refreshing!

Best,
Mark O.

Forever Young
12-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Can anyone recommend a good auction house for consigning boxing memorabilia?

As a consigner, I would look at past auction realized prices rather than if they use TPAs vs ONLY THEIR IN HOUSE EMPLOYEES. Many of the major auction houses have decent ways of searching past items sold online. Just my 2 cents:)

Plinvestments
12-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Thank you.