PDA

View Full Version : Babe Ruth Picture Stamped 1927

drate13
12-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Hello Gentleman,

I am new here and heard that you guys are the experts. I searched the internet and could find no information about this picture. I found it in some boxes of Life Magazines that my wife's grandfather collected. It seems like it has been stamped. There are cuts along the edges that make it seem mass produced to me. You will notice that the picture is the same one used on the cover the James Duplacey book. Does anyone know what the story is? If it is real great, if not it is getting framed and put in my man room anyway!

Thanks in advance,

Drate Banks
Fort Mill, SC

19cbb
12-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Don't even frame it... your man cave will be a better place without it.

Leon
12-06-2012, 09:53 PM
I am not quite sure the question, and I am no photo expert though I have handled some, but I don't think it's a real, period photograph...if that is the question. It has that grainy look to it which is usually a later print than original. Nice photo but I would go with your guess of mass produced, not 1927 and not too valuable. All just semi-educated guesses to get the ball rolling. And welcome to the forum too.

GKreindler
12-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Drate, paper and markings aside, the image of Ruth dates from after the labeled year, being that his home jersey says 'NEW YORK' rather than 'YANKEES', which the '27 jerseys did. The Yanks abandoned the team name on front in '31, if I remember correctly. And though they had 'NEW YORK' on their jersey fronts in the early twenties as well, it's fair to say that we see an older and...ahem...heavier Ruth in this shot.

Either way, it's a classic pose. I say, if you love it, hang it and enjoy!

Graig