PDA

View Full Version : Identify the Tin-Type

D. Bergin
12-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Not mine, but I was sent this a little while back. It certainly appears to be a boxing pose to me, and if so is one of the finest I've seen on a tin-type. He certainly has the tell-tale nose of a boxer.

Maybe he's a nobody, but unlike most tin-types the clarity is there to positively identify him, if he IS a somebody.

I've posted this with IBRO and the names floating around there so far are Philadelphia Jack O'Brien (one of my thoughts facially, but I think his frame is too small), Monte Attell and Tommy Ryan.

I don't think any of them match personally, but I wanted to check here and see if anybody has any opinions. It's a distinct possibility the names floated so far might not even be in the right era.

Exhibitman
12-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Too early for the above-listed fighters.

D. Bergin
12-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Too early for the above-listed fighters.

That's what I thought, but conceivably a tin-type photo could have been taken at almost any time, though not quite practical once you reach a certain time period.

Most likely it is somewhere in the 1860's to 1890's range. The clarity, the closeness of the subject to the camera, and that particular pose, makes me think it's probably on the later end of the scale.