PDA

View Full Version : Question for set builders...

vintagetoppsguy
12-03-2012, 03:16 PM
There are different types of collectors, I consider myself more of a set builder. All of my sets are raw, with the exception of the (bigger name) stars, which of most are graded (SGC mostly). I have a question for you other set builders, more so the registry guys. Let’s say you’re building a ’56 Topps set and Hank Aaron is one of the last cards you need (could be any year or player, just using that for example). You have two to choose from – one graded a 7, the other an 8 – let’s even say both are the same price. The 7 is a really strong card for the grade, looks under graded. The 8 is weak, looks over graded. In your opinion, the 7 has much better eye appeal than the 8. So here’s the question. Do you go with the 7 because it’s a nicer card and has better eye appeal, or do you go with the 8 to maintain your set’s GPA on the registry? Not really being a registry guy, I’m going to choose the 7. You?

con40
12-03-2012, 03:36 PM
I might give the 7 a try and then go for the re-grade so I can net a bit more profit from the card. If I had to pay for an 8, I'd wait on a copy with better eye appeal. Of course, this assumes that I'd be paying around VCP averages for any of these cards.

ALR-bishop
12-03-2012, 04:19 PM
No help here David. I am solely a set builder but also soley a collector and one who prefers all cards in their natural state. So I'd pick the best looking of the two, free it from the slab, and put it in a binder with the rest of the set. I admit that if one is part investor and part collector, my method does not work well and would go with Keith's approach

Matthew80
12-03-2012, 10:47 PM
I'd get whatever I thought I would be able to sell for more later, likely the 8, I'd think.

Leon
12-04-2012, 06:51 AM
Well, it can also be applied to type collecting when there is a choice between 2 for a series. Most, but not all of us, will eventually sell our cards. Since it was a weak 8 and strong 7, I would go for the 7 and hope for the upgrade, Because I am a collector of cards first, and I like nicer looking ones. If it was solely for resale, as some of mine are, then that could change my decision.

3-2-count
12-04-2012, 07:34 AM
Without question I'd choose the 7. I place more value in what I think about a card than what some inconsistent schnook does at a third party authenticator.
I've always wanted to use "schnook" in a sentence and finally got my chance!! ;)

savedfrommyspokes
12-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Since I am CONSTANTLY upgrading my sets, I would take a weak 8 over a strong 7 as I would still be on the look out for a nice 9. My theory is that the weak 8 is just holding a nice 9's spot until I find it(at a good price, of course). A weak 8 is likely to sell for more than a strong 7 when it comes time to sell the original 7/8 card that I upgraded to a 9 card.

bosoxfan
12-04-2012, 09:36 AM
I'll go with much better eye appeal and nicer card.

That said, I'm not much of a registry guy.

sox1903wschamp
12-04-2012, 05:15 PM
What Al said.

Paul S
12-04-2012, 08:21 PM
I'll go with much better eye appeal and nicer card.

That said, I'm not much of a registry guy.

Yeah, that's pretty much me too.