PDA

View Full Version : koufax

shelly
11-30-2012, 12:32 PM
http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/sports-products/sandy-koufax-signed-baseball-w-inscription-psadna.html

Would you pass this Koufax.

bigtrain
11-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Wow! That is awful.

isaac2004
11-30-2012, 01:02 PM
I have never seen an "S" like that... Is that what his signature looks like now?

shelly
11-30-2012, 01:16 PM
I have never seen anything even close and it passed Psa.:mad:

isaac2004
11-30-2012, 01:27 PM
I have never seen anything even close and it passed Psa.:mad:

There obviously are examples in their database that looks like this. They may make some mistakes, but I would be shocked if they messed up this bad, because most people in the hobby know kindof what his "S" looks like, and this isn't close.

Deertick
11-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Isn't the sticker supposed to match the certificate? Q98903 comes up with a Tony LaRussa ball. Even their own cert #'s don't match. However on the video it shows S00573 which does come back to this ball.

That being said, who in their right mind would want this atrocity? Also, PSA noted that "Additional personalizations have been removed."

shelly
11-30-2012, 01:39 PM
There obviously are examples in their database that looks like this. They may make some mistakes, but I would be shocked if they messed up this bad, because most people in the hobby know kindof what his "S" looks like, and this isn't close.

Does anyone on this site have any examples of this type of Koufax besides PSA.?

chaddurbin
11-30-2012, 02:46 PM
i'm confused. if it's a rushed ip, why the best wishes? if it's a sitdown, that sig is a mess. psa/dna have these "in the person" cert where they actually witnessed the signing. only way i can see that thing passing?:confused:

Scott Garner
11-30-2012, 04:53 PM
Does anyone on this site have any examples of this type of Koufax besides PSA.?

Koufax never signed like this, period. No way!!!

thetruthisoutthere
11-30-2012, 04:55 PM
i'm confused. if it's a rushed ip, why the best wishes? if it's a sitdown, that sig is a mess. psa/dna have these "in the person" cert where they actually witnessed the signing. only way i can see that thing passing?:confused:

PSA did not cert that Koufax.

rlevy
11-30-2012, 05:08 PM
how about this one with a JSA cert, I think it is even worse.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JSA-Certified-SANDY-KOUFAX-Autographed-Baseball-/300816288711?amp;orig_cvip=true&pt=US_Autographs&hash=item460a0c4bc7&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=YSItnyDWg+6m01xdTtphd2L2Moc=&nma=true&si=D4d%2FzvE9e3TR2TlLdJWrQA26Qm0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Rick

Scott Garner
11-30-2012, 06:06 PM
how about this one with a JSA cert, I think it is even worse.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JSA-Certified-SANDY-KOUFAX-Autographed-Baseball-/300816288711?amp;orig_cvip=true&pt=US_Autographs&hash=item460a0c4bc7&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=YSItnyDWg+6m01xdTtphd2L2Moc=&nma=true&si=D4d%2FzvE9e3TR2TlLdJWrQA26Qm0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Rick

Rick,
This cert thing keeps getting uglier by the minute... :(

Deertick
11-30-2012, 09:50 PM
PSA did not cert that Koufax.

What do you mean Chris? They have a pic of it on the PSA cert lookup.

Wymers Auction
11-30-2012, 11:33 PM
The first statement of the description states clear and legible. That makes me laugh a bit.

Wymers Auction
11-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Look below at their recommendations and it shows several genuine Koufax's for sale. If they would have compared it to some of their own autos they would have caught this themselves.

shelly
12-01-2012, 10:20 AM
This guy does not own those Koufax's. He takes pictures from other auctions puts them up on his site. If he sells them then he buys from the seller and sends it to you.
:eek:

Scott Garner
12-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Here is another unique fake of Sandy Koufax currently on eBay: a signed Happy Holidays card. This one appears to be a much better fake than the one shown on the ball on this thread.

In spite of appearances, anyone care to take a stab at why this is definitely bogus?

Deertick
12-01-2012, 03:12 PM
This guy does not own those Koufax's. He takes pictures from other auctions puts them up on his site. If he sells them then he buys from the seller and sends it to you.
:eek:

Well, from the video, it clearly shows the sig and the ball cert in his hand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E_-BQTVV-4&feature=player_embedded

ed. Oh you were talking about the ones at the bottom....

MooseDog
12-01-2012, 03:31 PM
In spite of appearances, anyone care to take a stab at why this is definitely bogus?

Eh, Sandy wouldn't be celebrating Xmas.

isaac2004
12-01-2012, 03:38 PM

Beat me to that one :)

Scott Garner
12-01-2012, 06:20 PM

Good try guys, but this is a Happy Holidays card, not a Christmas card, per se.
Hint: The fact that it's bogus has to do with the signature itself, the instrument used to sign it and the context...

djson1
12-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Regarding the signature pic posted by Shelly: This COULD be Koufax' signature. No doubt, this is an awful (and I mean awful) example, but that being said, the pattern in which he signs his name seems to be reflected in this example (ie- the pattern in which he makes his "S", the "y" and the final "x"). As somebody noted above, if it was rushed, then why the best wishes? Was he drunk? I'm not trying to be funny, but I have seen my signature on credit card receipts signed when I was really drunk or tired and it really doesn't look like my signature at all. but the basic pattern was there in which I sign my name. If Koufax DID sign this thing, then he was not his usual self or was very unstable.
@ScottGarner: That's pretty insightful. You mean, because he signed the holiday card with a Sharpie, instead of like a pen, like most people would? I never thought of that....but that's interesting. I actually thought that signature on the card was a nice example, but your point does raise a flag (unless he was in the midst of signing other items with a Sharpie and just happened to grab something on his desk to sign the card).

brickyardkennedy
12-28-2012, 12:04 PM
As has been pointed out, the "Koufax card" is a "holiday" card, not a Christmas card. Even if it were a Christmas card and Koufax did not celebrate Christmas, there is no reason why he could not send a Christmas greeting to someone who did.

“My grandmother was a huge Tiger fan who was always glued to the radio listening to Ty Tyson’s play by play. Sometimes Hank (Greenberg) would drop me off at the house in his Silver Hudson Terraplane and talk with her. Believe me, it was her moment in the sun,” Collins says. “For years he would send us a Christmas card.”

http://blog.detroitathletic.com/2010/08/28/the-fascinating-story-of-hank-greenberg-rip-collins-2/

Scott Garner
12-28-2012, 04:24 PM
As has been pointed out, the "Koufax card" is a "holiday" card, not a Christmas card. Even if it were a Christmas card and Koufax did not celebrate Christmas, there is no reason why he could not send a Christmas greeting to someone who did.

“My grandmother was a huge Tiger fan who was always glued to the radio listening to Ty Tyson’s play by play. Sometimes Hank (Greenberg) would drop me off at the house in his Silver Hudson Terraplane and talk with her. Believe me, it was her moment in the sun,” Collins says. “For years he would send us a Christmas card.”

http://blog.detroitathletic.com/2010/08/28/the-fascinating-story-of-hank-greenberg-rip-collins-2/

Very true. I send my jewish friends happy holidays or Happy Hannakah cards every year. They send me Christmas cards.

Michael B
12-28-2012, 04:43 PM
It looks like a flair pen and not a sharpie on that holiday card. Some people use them as they are softer on the paper than ballpoint pens. I know from personal experience that I once used blue flair for signing my name. I now only use blue ballpoint and never a single sheet of paper on a hard surface as it is not comfortable signing. Why blue? I work with legal documents that are filed in courthouses and you can always tell it is a real signature and not a photocopy which would not be the case with black.