PDA

View Full Version : 1938 Goudey Proof Enos Slaughter Card

bcbgcbrcb
11-20-2012, 06:57 PM
I found a reference to this card on a Collector's Universe board post. Has anyone else ever heard of this card?

Leon
11-20-2012, 07:03 PM
I don't know about that particular one but so many things are called proofs nowadays, which aren't, that I don't believe them until I see them. I am NOT saying there isn't one, just I will believe it when I see it. (again, there might be but who knows)...Hopefully it will be similar to these but a different year of course...

Al C.risafulli
11-20-2012, 07:32 PM
I'll go on a limb and say it doesn't exist.

A few years ago, a bunch of "cards" showed up in Global holders that were actually cutouts from a magazine that were glued to the fronts of '35 Goudey 4-in-1s, then graded by Global as 1938 Goudey proofs. They looked nothing like 1938 Goudeys, and contained a bunch of subjects that were not in the '38 set.

All were listed on eBay as proofs and if I recall, many sold for $100-200, all erroneously labeled by Global. Once in a while, one of them shows up on eBay again, and because they're professionally graded, they still sell.

I can't find the thread on CU that references the Slaughter, but there was a thread here on 54 about them back in 2008, and Slaughter is mentioned. Here it is: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=91059&highlight=1938+goudey+proof

I'm a big '38 Goudey guy, and when I first saw the cards, I wasn't ready to reject the idea out of hand, til someone came forward with the same magazine that the pictures were cut from.

-Al

ETA this is also the famous "Archive" thread.

atx840
11-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Love seeing those Leon.

drc
11-20-2012, 08:17 PM
There are far more blank backs, misprints, cutouts and scraps that proofs out there, and sometimes it's impossible to tell the difference between a proof and a blank back or a scrap. So when in doubt I assume a funky card isn't a proof.

I had a bank back Topps I pulled from a wax pack and a blank back proof directly from Topps. If I showed them to you and didn't tell you where they came from, you'd have no clue which if either or both was the proof . . . Though I've also had proofs that clearly were proofs just looking at them.

bcbgcbrcb
11-21-2012, 04:29 AM
Great, thanks for the info, Al. Saves me one more potential "Rookie Card" that I don't need to chase after now.