PDA

View Full Version : ID help from 1915 Red Sox team picture

scooter729
11-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Hi,

I recently bought this 1915 Boston Red Sox team picture (and I owe a HUGE thank you to David Cycleback for working with me on some of the details to confirm this as a Type 1 photo!!).

Although I'm a big fan of the early Red Sox teams, I'm admittedly quite weak at ID'ing individual players, and would love some help at figuring out who's who in this picture (which likely was taken at spring training in Hot Springs, Arkansas).

Aside from Ruth, can I get some help to ID others in the team shot?

Thanks very much!!

Runscott
11-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Scott, congrats on verifying that this is a period photo. I had my doubts.

Scott Garner
11-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Hi Scott,
I can help with two players not named Babe Ruth:
Top row, 2nd from left- LHP HB "Dutch" Leonard
3rd row down from top, 3rd player from the right side is RHP Ernie Shore

Good luck with nailing down the rest....

scooter729
11-20-2012, 10:13 AM
This quickly turned into the Scott thread!

Scott F - I appreciate your comments, and suggestion to speak with David. His feedback and teaching me about some of the silvering effects a photo like this would show were very helpful and educational.

Scott G - thanks for the help!

Runscott
11-20-2012, 10:18 AM
My pleasure. That's a very special photo!

Scott #1 <=== all others are #2 or less

Dto7
11-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Everett Scott last player bottom row

Here's most of the names of the photo from Baseball-Fever's Vintage Pictures thread.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?75607-Vintage-Panoramic-Pictures&p=2056293#post2056293

scooter729
11-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Here's most of the names of the photo from Baseball-Fever's Vintage Pictures thread.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?75607-Vintage-Panoramic-Pictures&p=2056293#post2056293

WOW, thanks for finding that link!! That is extremely helpful!

I wasn't positive but I didn't think I was seeing Speaker or Smoky Joe in the picture anywhere, so interesting to see others in agreement. I wonder why that was.

To post the information from the other thread as to player ID's:

Top Row, L-R: Doc Green (Trainer), unidentified1, Vean Gregg (P), Jack Berry (2B), Duffy Lewis (LF).

Second Row, L-R: Olaf Henricksen (OF), Wally Rehg (OF), Larry Gardner (3B), Rube Foster (P), unidentified2, Pinch Thomas (C), unidentified3.

Third Row, L-R: unidentified, Hick Cady (C), unidentified, Herb Pennock (P), Ray Haley (C), Ernie Shore (P), Mike McNally (OF).

Bottom Row, L-R: unidentified4, Bill Carrigan (Mgr./C), Carl Mays (P), Harry Hooper (RF), Babe Ruth (P), Dick Hobilitzel (1B), Chick Shorten (OF), Everett "Deacon" Scott (SS).

Possibilities for some of the unidentifieds: Unidentified1 might be Dutch Leonard; Unidentified2 might be Guy Cooper; Unidentifed3 might be Heine Wagner; Unidentified4 might be Ralph Comstock.

Some notable names missing from the photo (or at least I couldn't find them): most notable are Tris Speaker and Smoky Joe Wood; others include Hal Janvrin, Del Gainer, and Ray Collins.

Scott Garner
11-20-2012, 01:38 PM
WOW, thanks for finding that link!! That is extremely helpful!

I wasn't positive but I didn't think I was seeing Speaker or Smoky Joe in the picture anywhere, so interesting to see others in agreement. I wonder why that was.

To post the information from the other thread as to player ID's:

Top Row, L-R: Doc Green (Trainer), unidentified1, Vean Gregg (P), Jack Berry (2B), Duffy Lewis (LF).

Second Row, L-R: Olaf Henricksen (OF), Wally Rehg (OF), Larry Gardner (3B), Rube Foster (P), unidentified2, Pinch Thomas (C), unidentified3.

Third Row, L-R: unidentified, Hick Cady (C), unidentified, Herb Pennock (P), Ray Haley (C), Ernie Shore (P), Mike McNally (OF).

Bottom Row, L-R: unidentified4, Bill Carrigan (Mgr./C), Carl Mays (P), Harry Hooper (RF), Babe Ruth (P), Dick Hobilitzel (1B), Chick Shorten (OF), Everett "Deacon" Scott (SS).

Possibilities for some of the unidentifieds: Unidentified1 might be Dutch Leonard; Unidentified2 might be Guy Cooper; Unidentifed3 might be Heine Wagner; Unidentified4 might be Ralph Comstock.

Some notable names missing from the photo (or at least I couldn't find them): most notable are Tris Speaker and Smoky Joe Wood; others include Hal Janvrin, Del Gainer, and Ray Collins.

I don't believe that the 4th player from the left in the 2nd row is George "Rube" Foster, FWIW. I looked this photo over carefully looking for him initially and I'm not too sure that that's "Rube"...

bmarlowe1
11-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Agree with Scott - the guy from the team photo (below left) is not Rube Foster (below right), just look at the ears.

bmarlowe1
11-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Rube Foster is just right of Pinch Thomas.

Scott Garner
11-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Rube Foster is just right of Pinch Thomas.

Very good detective work, Mark! I thought that that might be him, but couldn't be sure because the image wasn't clear enough in the scan for me to be certain...

scooter729
11-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks very much, Mark and Scott - your help has been most appreciated!

Scott

Scott Garner
11-21-2012, 11:55 AM
My pleasure! As usual, Mark does the majority of the heavy lifting when it comes to identifying the unidentifiable...

Hot Springs Bathers
11-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Scott- The photo was taken at Majestic Field in hot Springs, I have seen that photo but the bleachers are at that location.

My wife is supposed to help me post some of the photos I have picked up from around town but he holidays have kept her busy this week!