PDA

View Full Version : Easy question for the board....Place for introductions...

Leon
11-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Hey Ya'll
Would it be better to have new members introductions on the main page of the board (this one)? I sort of think it would. It seems a bit more hospitable for more folks to welcome our newest members. Right now it's done in the water cooler section but those threads don't get viewed as much.

EvilKing00
11-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Although im New here, im a forum admin over in an old school war game for many years, as well as an admin for my "group" in the game.

We have a section labled, "newbs" or new guys.

not sure im explaining it right, but, like a section toward the top, and the section is only called New Guys. Easy to find. hope my 2 cents helps.

z28jd
11-10-2012, 08:39 AM
I think they should be but not individually. Either as the newb just suggested, have one thread, or have a monthly thread dedicated to it

CobbSpikedMe
11-10-2012, 09:09 AM
I agree that having it on the main page is ok. I never look at the watercooler threads so I've missed all newbies intros that have ever been posted over there. I also like the idea of a monthly thread for intros. It might invite more new members to actually get started posting. It can be intimidating to post early on so a dedicated thread might work.

Bicem
11-10-2012, 09:12 AM
allow myself to introduce... myself.

teetwoohsix
11-10-2012, 02:38 PM
I think they should be but not individually. Either as the newb just suggested, have one thread, or have a monthly thread dedicated to it

+1

It seems like it would be easier if it was all in one thread, to keep up with and to welcome people (BTW- welcome all new people !!!! :D)

Sincerely, Clayton

barrysloate
11-10-2012, 02:48 PM
It's not a big issue either way, but I like that we have a place for it in the water cooler section. That area is viewed so infrequently that I encourage any reason to post over there. The main board is busy enough and is almost always the first place people look. So I like the idea of more traffic over on that side. Don't know why, I just do.

Leon
11-11-2012, 05:58 PM
It's not a big issue either way, but I like that we have a place for it in the water cooler section. That area is viewed so infrequently that I encourage any reason to post over there. The main board is busy enough and is almost always the first place people look. So I like the idea of more traffic over on that side. Don't know why, I just do.

That is the point Barry. It's sort of a two edged sword. If we leave the introductions in the water cooler section then our newest members won't get as warm of a welcome. If we put them on this front page a few less people will go over to that section. I think the best solution will be to put them on the main page and see how it goes. We can always revert back if need be.
As many folks voted, it's not really a big deal either way. :)

barrysloate
11-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Main page works too. I like the water cooler section and I don't think very many people use it.

Leon
11-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Main page works too. I like the water cooler section and I don't think very many people use it.

I agree completely Barry. But if members/friends don't want to chat about other stuff then I guess it's you and I :).

MVSNYC
11-11-2012, 06:44 PM
"Allow me to re-introduce myself
My name is Hov', OH, H-to-the-O-V
I used to move snowflakes by the O-Z
I guess even back then you can call me
CEO of the R-O-C, Hov'!"

Main board is fine.

Danny Smith
11-11-2012, 06:48 PM
"Allow me to re-introduce myself
My name is Hov', OH, H-to-the-O-V
I used to move snowflakes by the O-Z
I guess even back then you can call me
CEO of the R-O-C, Hov'!"

Main board is fine.

I started singing that same verse as soon as i saw this thread. I dont think many folks on here will know who its from...

MVSNYC
11-11-2012, 06:52 PM
i bet Barry knows...he should, they're from the same borough.

:)

sdkammeyer
11-11-2012, 08:25 PM
i posted my "hi im new here" intro in the watercooler 3 days ago and so far Leon is the only one to respond. Personally it doesn't matter much to me..... but then i am/have been using various forums for many years and i know how it goes.

I'm pretty sure that the majority of the folks here know where to find the intros, and they choose not to. I'm not sure that sticking it right under their noses on the front page would persuade anyone from viewing or posting.

just an observation.

I also know some "noobs" would feel dejected if their intro thread didnt get any replies though, because in their eyes it makes the forum look "cliquey"

z28jd
11-11-2012, 08:25 PM
I started singing that same verse as soon as i saw this thread. I dont think many folks on here will know who its from...

Guilty here too, except I started after Jeff P's post

Leon
11-11-2012, 08:33 PM
i posted my "hi im new here" intro in the watercooler 3 days ago and so far Leon is the only one to respond. Personally it doesn't matter much to me..... but then i am/have been using various forums for many years and i know how it goes.

I'm pretty sure that the majority of the folks here know where to find the intros, and they choose not to. I'm not sure that sticking it right under their noses on the front page would persuade anyone from viewing or posting.

just an observation.

I know some "noobs" would feel dejected if their intro thread didnt get any replies, because in their eyes it makes the forum look "cliquey"

Nice wisdom my friend. I am also a member of several different forums. I like new folks to feel welcome and that was the impetus for this thread. As most know there are a few (to several ) hundred of us on here that know each other quite well as we have spent a lot of time with each other, especially at the National Conventions. It makes sense that if folks feel welcome and make friends it makes for a better and more enjoyable collecting experience.

sdkammeyer
11-11-2012, 08:55 PM
I like new folks to feel welcome and that was the impetus for this thread. ..................... It makes sense that if folks feel welcome and make friends it makes for a better and more enjoyable collecting experience.

I definitely agree.

Hey, I'll be spending some solid time here over the next months (and beyond) and would have no qualms with volunteering for a "welcoming committee" of sorts ..... if that's an idea?
Even though I hardly qualify being so new myself :)

Hopefully, this thread will bring enough attention to the issue, and a few more regulars will take the extra second to pop in every couple days and say "hey" to the new members.

teetwoohsix
11-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Welcome Steve !!!

I like to welcome new members, it's nice to see more interest in pre-war cards, and this is the place to be !!! I believe this is the best place on the internet, no joke. Great people with great information, and a lot of fun. Good luck hunting :)

I also think the watercooler section is excellent, but I tend to want to veer off into politics and such, so I try to check myself, and don't end up with too much to say over there (there's just so much going on in the world, it's hard for me to stay away from politics and policy). But I will abide by the boards' rules-no religion and no politics ;)

And, oh yeah- T206's rule !!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Sincerely, Clayton

barrysloate
11-12-2012, 04:06 AM
i bet Barry knows...he should, they're from the same borough.

:)

Not a clue Michael:(

My knowledge of hip hop is nil.

barrysloate
11-12-2012, 04:09 AM
And of course welcome Steve. If nobody responded over on the watercooler side then it proves two things: the main board is a better place to introduce yourself....and nobody really cares about the other section. I even think there are plenty of regular members who don't even know we have other forums.

sdkammeyer
11-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Welcome Steve !!!

And, oh yeah- T206's rule !!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Sincerely, Clayton

:) yes, T206's do rule. I just wish i would have started my hunt for them 20-30 years ago when I probably could have picked them up for a few bucks each. I'm putting the set together in PSA4 and I can't believe the cost involved!!
Also, I do agree that this is a GREAT forum.

And of course welcome Steve. .
Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Leon
11-26-2012, 03:25 PM
With right at 90% of our members either saying yes to having introductions on this front page, or not caring, it has been done. Wording has been changed. I think it will make our newest members feel a bit more welcomed....Carry on...