PDA

View Full Version : Seller renegs on Ebay deal...what to do?

mcgwirecom
11-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Hi, I'm sure this was talked about before, but forgive me. The other day I was on Ebay and found a ticket stub that I needed with a very low buy-it-now price so I purchased and paid for it. Now today I got a refund from the seller who found out the significance of the game and stated that it was mislabeled and was a mistake.

My question is, should I leave some kind of negative feedback? What would you do if you were me? Or could it be a mistake and would you side with the seller? Tough call, but I am bummed.

Leon
11-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Personally, I wouldn't give a neg for it. Too much bad karma. It does suck though. Have you asked the person if he is relisting it, and if so, at what price? Maybe it will still be obtainable.

slomer
11-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Hi, I'm sure this was talked about before, but forgive me. The other day I was on Ebay and found a ticket stub that I needed with a very low buy-it-now price so I purchased and paid for it. Now today I got a refund from the seller who found out the significance of the game and stated that it was mislabeled and was a mistake.

My question is, should I leave some kind of negative feedback? What would you do if you were me? Or could it be a mistake and would you side with the seller? Tough call, but I am bummed.

I would put this ebayer ( polite term) on the no buy, no sell list ,but I would not lower myself to leave a neg.or any feedback.what comes around goes around.

steve B
11-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Personally, I wouldn't give a neg for it. Too much bad karma. It does suck though. Have you asked the person if he is relisting it, and if so, at what price? Maybe it will still be obtainable.

I stopped selling a couple years ago because I couldn't keep up with the ever shifting rules that became a one way thing.

That being said, I've also gotten tougher on sellers. I'd report the seller as a non-performing seller. Especially if he put that info in emails through ebays system. I did that with a seller who refused to complete a sale for a couple cards I won at a good price who offered only free shipping on his other stuff which was all autographs that I don't collect.
And I did also leave a negative for a seller who completely overgraded a card, altered the scan to hide damage and missed a trimmed side and took over a week to ship. Sadly he's a respected dealer and just doesn't get it, asking me to change the feedback because he claims he was away. Even if he was it wouldn't explain away the hidden damage on a card he called ex-mt.

A seller should do their research before listing something. I always did enough to know what I was selling even if it wasn't something I was really familiar with. I sold a wide range of things, basically anything I'd find at some sort of sale and figured I could make a bit of money on.

Someone should stick by their offer. Since he's backed out after the sale was made I'd give a negative and report him as a non-performing seller.

Steve B

Forever Young
11-10-2012, 09:13 AM
I would put this ebayer ( polite term) on the no buy, no sell list ,but I would not lower myself to leave a neg.or any feedback.what comes around goes around.

Agreed and mistakes DO happen.

mcgwirecom
11-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the input. I guess i won't leave a negative. Should I leave a neutral and just describe what happened?

JimStinson
11-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Say nothing and move on ....its the guy upstairs way of telling you there are better deals to come

mcgwirecom
11-10-2012, 03:23 PM
LOL, I hope so.

thecatspajamas
11-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Forgive me if you've already addressed this, but did you ask him what he thought was a reasonable price for the stub (after he "discovered the mistake")?

Could make a difference in deciding if it was really just a mistake in the description/price, or if someone else came along later and offered significantly more for it.

FWIW, I've been on both sides as a seller. Had a case where I mistakenly listed a $500 item with a $5 BIN, and realized the mistake when someone purchased it within seconds of listing it. I immediately contacted the buyer and explained the (obvious) mistake. Had it not been such a drastic difference, and on a consigned item to boot, I would have sucked it up and let him have it for the lower price. As it happened he understood though, and could see that I immediately re-listed it with the correct price, so it was obvious I wasn't just trying to squeeze a few more bucks out of him.

I have also had cases where one guy wins an auction or buys something, and someone else contacts me saying something like "I'll give you twice what you sold it to him for if you'll sell it to me instead" or something to that effect. I've never taken such an offer, but some sellers are more tempted by money than by good customer relations.

mcgwirecom
11-11-2012, 09:03 AM
He has not relisted it yet. Perhaps someone offered more? I sent an email to see what he says.

yanks12025
11-11-2012, 10:32 AM
I know it probably wouldn't work, but I'd bring up it being a contract that you both entered when he listed it and you bought/paid for it. Then say you'll contact a lawyer, maybe it would scare someone. Lol

Scott Garner
11-11-2012, 11:13 AM
I know it probably wouldn't work, but I'd bring up it being a contract that you both entered when he listed it and you bought/paid for it. Then say you'll contact a lawyer, maybe it would scare someone. Lol

This seems a little bit like trying to squash an ant with an atom bomb :)

Cfern023
11-11-2012, 10:06 PM
My advise is to leave TRUTHFUL negative feedback. It'll disuade someone from falling into the same trap next time, and may eventually lead to him getting banned from ebay.

Contact him, do your best to get the item- but if he just desides not to sell it- Leave the truthful negitive feedback. If it's not truthful ebay will remove it.

mcgwirecom
11-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Well the seller did finally relist the ticket. He did offer it to me at a lower price than the buy-it-now. He also offered me discounts on his other items so I guess I'll leave it alone. It was just an unfortunate mistake.

Runscott
11-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Agreed and mistakes DO happen.

+1

You've got to give evidence of being an evil bastard before I leave a negative.