PDA

View Full Version : Any new info on the 1912 (ish) W-unc set (resembles w555s)?

shammus
11-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Hadn't seen a thread on these for a while so figured I'd start a new one. I won a group of 8 of these recently and was just curious if any new info had surfaced in the past couple years on this set.

What I know so far -

- The cards themselves, have only recently surfaced. I read back and noticed posts in 2007 and 2008 where it seemed people on the board here were discovering these cards for the first time.

- At 1-3/8" x 1-5/8", they are a bit larger than the W555 Jay S. Meyer issue. Mostly, they are larger because of the green borders though, heh, the photo area is very similar in size. I included a shot of one of these next to a w555 so you all could get a visual. Both sets are assumed to have served as part of a box of candy. The hand-drawn nature of the 1912 set as well as the size, makes it very similar to the w555s in terms of "look and feel"

- The Barry and Doyle in my group were previously uncatalogued, bringing the set total to eight. Anyone know if any other players have been discovered? The players I have in the group I won are as follows -

Buster Brown (I THINK this is "Buster" anyways. Kinda looks like Mordecai though.)
Tommy Leach
Jack Barry
Oscar Stanage
Larry Doyle
Bill Carrigan
Honus Wagner (I believe this pose matches his Orange Border "batting pose")
Cy Young

- In terms of relative scarcity, several more examples have surfaced in the past few years although overall numbers are still pretty slight. According to the PSA Pop Reports, they have only graded 9 total and have no registered sets. On SGC's site, the page to the Pop Report was down (has been down for weeks for some reason??) SGC did show two sets in it's Registry with a total of 7 cards graded between them.

Anything I'm leaving out in the above summary? Thanks in advance, guys!

Ladder7
11-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Just need the Brown, Leach and Doyle to finish this bear... Small miracle

shammus
11-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Ahh cool, someone else is actually collecting this set...heh. How long have you been working on it Steve?

Ladder7
11-11-2012, 05:46 AM
I've given up on this and W555s. Had til retirement to complete and running outta time. My final push, I'm on a Bosox memorabilia safari.

Congrats on your group pickup. Lucky

http://www.sgccardregistry.com/gallery.aspx?cat=1&set=1818&userset=6178