PDA

View Full Version : O/t - scanner issues

rainier2004
11-07-2012, 07:08 PM
So I got a new scanner and Im trying to sell some cards. N54 uploaded my t202 and 34 goudey/40 pb scans just fine. It keep saying "upload of file failed" for the other files. Ive rescanned 3 times, reset the computer, the 2 that uploaded are sizes 1.58 mb and the 2 I cant are 2.38 and 3.75mb but I cant seem to make them smaller...Im pretty frustrated trying to sell some $10 cards here and never had this issue w/ N54 before. Any thoughts?

Jlighter
11-07-2012, 07:15 PM
1.58 mb that's pretty big for uploading to a web site. Were the other files that big?

Leon
11-07-2012, 07:15 PM
So I got a new scanner and Im trying to sell some cards. N54 uploaded my t202 and 34 goudey/40 pb scans just fine. It keep saying "upload of file failed" for the other files. Ive rescanned 3 times, reset the computer, the 2 that uploaded are sizes 1.58 mb and the 2 I cant are 2.38 and 3.75mb but I cant seem to make them smaller...Im pretty frustrated trying to sell some $10 cards here and never had this issue w/ N54 before. Any thoughts?

What did you name the scans? Scans that are .jpg or other types can't have any periods, hyphens etc in their names.....also, the board should resize them but files should be about 80k or less....If you want you can send the scans to me at leonl@flash.net and I will almost assuredly be able to tell you the issue.

thecatspajamas
11-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Scan at a lower resolution = smaller file size

Bocabirdman
11-07-2012, 07:17 PM

Try copying the scan to your Paint then uploading that version.

rainier2004
11-07-2012, 07:25 PM
I uploaded to paint and resaved but the sizes are too big. Im a dumbass, I copied and cropped the scans and that made the file smaller, I think I got a good scanner here. Im assuming I need to adjust for size when I scan? Can I alter the size once they are scanned? I tried changing the % to change to size and save and that didnt work. I have taken 2 computer classes, have years of education and am a moron with technology to say the least. Thanks for the effort to help me...

Leon
11-07-2012, 07:32 PM
I uploaded to paint and resaved but the sizes are too big. Im a dumbass, I copied and cropped the scans and that made the file smaller, I think I got a good scanner here. Im assuming I need to adjust for size when I scan? Can I alter the size once they are scanned? I tried changing the % to change to size and save and that didnt work. I have taked 2 computer classes, have years of education and am a moron with technology to say the least. Thanks for the effort to help me...

I have a scan size and resolution amount (dpi) as well as some other setting s I don't use, in my scanning s/w, which is very basic and came with the scanner. Our board software will automatically resize most scans that are around 1-2mb down to the max 80kb size (that is the limit we have set). You aren't even in the first 500 that have had issues posting scans so don't sweat it....you will get it to work.

rainier2004
11-07-2012, 07:34 PM
I have a scan size and resolution amount (dpi) as well as some other setting s I don't use, in my scanning s/w, which is very basic and came with the scanner. Our board software will automatically resize most scans that are around 1-2mb down to the max 80kb size (that is the limit we have set). You aren't even in the first 500 that have had issues posting scans so don't sweat it....you will get it to work.

Thanks...cards are up f/s now. I figured out a long round-about way to do it per norm. My files were well over 2mb, my old scanner didnt do that. Thanks.

Leon
11-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks...cards are up f/s now. I figured out a long round-about way to do it per norm. My files were well over 2mb, my old scanner didnt do that. Thanks.

Yeah, that big and it's iffy if they will downsize correctly or at all. I have tried some that were too big several times.

thecatspajamas
11-07-2012, 08:09 PM
In the future, if you change the resolution in your scanner software, you can shrink the size of the scan (and therefore the file size) on the front end.

If you want to scan larger so that you can see more detail or archive the image or something, you can use a simple image editing program to change the image size (and therefore the file size) for uploading.

Irfanview is a free program that I use for quick, simple image cropping and resizing. It loads and runs super-fast and has the basic bells and whistles.

http://www.irfanview.com/

To resize an image, just open it up in irfanview, hit Control+R, change the image size, hit Enter, and then hit S to save the new smaller image. Easy peasy.

White Borders
11-07-2012, 08:16 PM
In the future, if you change the resolution in your scanner software, you can shrink the size of the scan (and therefore the file size) on the front end.

If you want to scan larger so that you can see more detail or archive the image or something, you can use a simple image editing program to change the image size (and therefore the file size) for uploading.

Irfanview is a free program that I use for quick, simple image cropping and resizing. It loads and runs super-fast and has the basic bells and whistles.

http://www.irfanview.com/

To resize an image, just open it up in irfanview, hit Control+R, change the image size, hit Enter, and then hit S to save the new smaller image. Easy peasy.

+1 on the irfanview - i've used it for years

I looked at the T202 posted on the BST and it does look fairly high resolution, possibly 1200 dpi. Might want to try scanning at 600 dpi or even 300 dpi and see if the resolution is sufficient.

Best Regards and Happy Collecting :)
Craig

GoldenAge50s
11-07-2012, 09:19 PM
+2 on Irfanview. I also have used it since 2001 when I got my 1st scanner & started on EBay. I would be lost w/out it!

rainier2004
11-07-2012, 09:20 PM
+1 on the irfanview - i've used it for years

I looked at the T202 posted on the BST and it does look fairly high resolution, possibly 1200 dpi. Might want to try scanning at 600 dpi or even 300 dpi and see if the resolution is sufficient.

Best Regards and Happy Collecting :)
Craig

Thanks guys, Ill have to check it out. DPI is 300, pixels are like 2500x2800 or something. mb way too high.

Jlighter
11-07-2012, 09:30 PM
I have a program called Microsoft Picture Viewer that lets you compress photos for web pages and emails.

thecatspajamas
11-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Also note that some scanners have different default compression ratios for jpegs than others, so a scan at 300 dpi on one may result in a larger file size than 300 dpi on another.

That is something that you can adjust in Irfanview as well. When you hit 'S' to save, one of the Save Options should be "Save Quality". Looks like I've got mine set to 80 as a default, but you can play around with that and see what works best for you. In general, lower quality will yield smaller file sizes.

D. Bergin
11-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Also, make sure you are scanning with a .jpg setting.

If you scan using a .tif setting it will look pretty much identical to the .jpg but the file with be much larger.

What brand is your scanner?