PDA

View Full Version : Question for the postcard cognoscenti

Exhibitman
11-05-2012, 05:02 PM
I picked this up thinking it was a 1922 Eastern Exhibit but it is on the wrong stock for an arcade card and has no listing on tbe back for the company, Eastern or Chicago. The stock is the same feel and thickness as most every postcard I have from the era. I realize it is the same artwork as the Exhibit cards but I am stumped as to how to properly classify it. My view at this point is that it is a PC not and arcade card, not part of the Exhibit set, and that it likely means that the PC maker either became the Eastern company or transferred its artwork to the Eastern Exhibit Supply Co., which then transferred it to the ESCO we all know and love, resulting in the identified card backs. So, PC guys, what do you think/know, and fellow Exhibit fans, do you have cards like this on thin postcard stock with no identifying lines on the backs?

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous4/large/1920s%20Heilmann%20PC.jpg

drc
11-05-2012, 06:42 PM
A different postcard manufacturer could have simply used the same image. Exhibit Supply didn't shoot the photographs, they bought them from other sources.

Leon
11-05-2012, 06:58 PM
I use a system of my own that dovetails the ACC, for uncataloged cards. This would be

Pc-Unc 1922 (Exhibit type) Heilmann

BTW, there are other cards that are even less cut and dry as to classification. Here are a few 1940 Crowley's Milk cards. (and my worst scan in a long time...the cards are the same size) I have them in 2 different places on my site, Pc-Unc and F-Unc.

http://luckeycards.com/pfunc1940crowleys2x.jpg

RCMcKenzie
11-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Here is a postcard size, blank back78004 card Of Chief Meyers that I bought from Lew Lipset about 7-8 years ago. He had a name for the series, but I can't remember what it was.

Leon
11-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Here is a postcard size, blank back card Of Chief Meyers that I bought from Lew Lipset about 7-8 years ago. He had a name for the series, but I can't remember what it was.

Probably Pinkerton (W530). They came with blank, pc and scorecard backs...

RCMcKenzie
11-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Leon,

It was in one of Lipset's auctions around 7-8 years ago. I'm sure someone still has the catalogue/auction. He advertised it as a Meyers uncatalogued postcard sized card and had additional information about it, but I threw away the auction catalogue and did not make notes about what I bought. I think I'm sure it was not Pinkerton b/c I would have remembered that. Of course I may have misremembered. Thanks. Great thread btw. In retrospect, I should have had exhibitman sign my boxing guide when I bought it from him.

edit-Maybe it was Pinkerton. Those photos look exactly like the Meyers card. Cheers

Bicem
11-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Probably Pinkerton (W530). They came with blank, pc and scorecard backs...

pc back is a myth.

Leon
11-07-2012, 08:11 AM
pc back is a myth.

hmm...I thought I had a pc back but just checked and don't. I stand corrected until I see one. Learn something new everyday....LL