PDA

View Full Version : 1953 Johnston Cookies question

Brianruns10
11-04-2012, 08:25 PM
So for Christmas I'm thinking about getting my dad his favorite player, Joe Adcock's 53 Johnston's Cookie card, which my Dad remembers collecting, right before they moved from Wisconsin. The cards were lost in the ensuing years (luckily he saved the rest of his topps collection, 57-63).

I make it a point to get top quality, centered examples of any card, but with the 53 Adcock put out by Johnston, I have literally not seen a single one, and all that I have seen have the identical left bottom shift.

I'm wondering, are there any centered examples out there, or did Johnston's method of manufacture render all the Adcock cards with the same orientation? Should I keep looking, or am I searching for a phantom, and give up on a centered example of this card?

Thanks!

BR

Bob Lemke
11-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Brian, would your dad really notice the condition? Assuming he's more of a fan than a collector.

Brianruns10
11-05-2012, 02:52 PM
We're both very discerning collectors. And even if he wasn't, it would matter to me that I got him the best. I'm not collecting for profit, but that doesn't mean I'm about to buy a subpar card either. I think that's like throwing your money away. Centered examples of any card sell far better than OC, to state the obvious.

If there are indeed centered examples of the '53 Adcock to be found, then I'd prefer wait to either find one, or get him a different card. But if he is to be found only off centered, because of the manner in which the cards were cut from the sheet, then obviously I have to adjust my standards to meet the circumstances.

MilBraves
11-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Just checked mine. It is not perfectly centered but definitely deserving of an OC designation.