PDA

View Full Version : To Ebay or not to Ebay?

Chris Counts
11-04-2012, 01:20 PM
For some time, I've considered leaving eBay to try my hand at finding cards and stuff at shows and online auctions. But most of the items I've acquired over the past decade have come from eBay — and I'm very happy with what I've found there.

Like many, I've grown frustrated with all the junk that clogs my searches, the countless reprints, and the endless fees. But today, I was thrown for an unexpected loop when I couldn't pay for a transaction using eBay's PayPal. After talking to a customer service representative, I learned that because I've spent a certain amount of money using Paypal, they need more personal info from me, such as my physical address and a bank routing number. My debit card is no longer good enough.

Just a month ago, my checking account was hacked and I'm still sorting out the mess. Meanwhile, when I tried to upgrade my internet service two weeks ago, AT&T insisted I give them my social security number, which I refused. They later backed off. Basically, I'm tired of giving out info to private companies unless it has a specific useful purpose. And PayPal does not need my physical address. A P.O. Box should be good enough.

Now I have a cancelled PayPal account. So I have two questions: Can I still use eBay and pay without Paypal (I've heard yes AND no many times)? And has anybody else here stopped using eBay and turned to other sources for finding cards and stuff?

kmac32
11-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Using eBay without Paypal could be difficult at best. I have been selling on eBay for the last few months and take only Paypal as it speeds things up and there has been some fraud using money orders and I don't take checks. Fortunately the info I have given to Paypal has never been misused. I think you will find that a large percentage of ebayers are similar to me.

As to outside auctions, good and bad. In some ways you get more fair pricing, but there is that ever present buys premium. I just did my first online auction with Sterling auctions and it was a very pleasant experience. Price was fair and shipping was fast. Not true for every auction house though. Also your selection of cards seems to be more limited. Just some thoughts.

Kmac

glchen
11-04-2012, 01:41 PM
You can still use ebay, but it's not as easy since many sellers (like myself) exclude buyers that do not have a verified Paypal account. Think of yourself as similar to buyers from Canada. You can still bid on many auctions, but for the ones that you can't, you may need to contact the seller to get an exception.

If you want to avoid ebay entirely, it's still possible, but there are always large volumes of cards on ebay for all of the trouble, and there are always goodies that pop up here and there. Good luck!

drmondobueno
11-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Had the same experience with eBay myself earlier this year. Stopped the transaction on a green Cobb! Apparently I hit the 10,000 barrier and PayPal "required" I verify my checking account. What made this worse was my choice of banks, a small credit union in southern california who for some electronic reason could not seem to handle the verification process. End result: the ABA routing the credit union gave me was incorrect! Gawd I hate banks.

I use Paypal to transact with sellers of Flyrod components so I was motivated to get this worked out. Took over a week. But I got the Cobb:)

During this period I ran into a few sellers who insisted on Paypal, but I also found as many who were flexible, including members of this board. Can't say enough good things about the people I've done business with on Net54 since joining a few months back.

(Newbie) Keith

brickyardkennedy
11-04-2012, 06:14 PM
I've never had a PayPal account and have paid for everyone of my transactions over the years, with a postal money order and the occasional check. Just contact the seller before bidding and ask if they will accept a m.o. or a check. Maybe one out of every two dozen sellers, in my experience, will refuse a money order. Naturally, it slows things up, but patience is a virtue, or so I've heard.