PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have this problem?

25801wv
11-04-2012, 09:30 AM
I start collecting something & once I complete it or am near completeting it I lose some interest and sell it and move onto another project.

For example these are some of the things I have collected in the past few years (and then sold to fund the next purchase):

High grade (9's & 10's) cards that reminded me of my childhood (late 1970's through 1990).

Complete sets of the 1970's (never finished, just moved on after I had a few)

1956 Topps Complete low grade set

All 4 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth's (probably my favorite cards I have ever owned)

3 T206 Ty Cobb's

Pre WWII Collection - Ruth's, Cobb's, Gehrig's, Hornsby, etc.

Post WWII HOF Rookie Card Collection (was almost complete with the exception of a few including 52 Topps Mantle/Mays) I had Aaron, Clemente, Maris, Mantle Bowman, Mays Bowman, Yaz, Rose, Ryan, Reggie, etc. This was fun to build. However, for some reason I decided to get rid of them and start over.

Most recently I have started two different collections, collecting Pre 1920 cards with the idea of getting as many different type examples as I could & collecting Babe Ruths. Of course I am no where near complete & am already losing interest.

I figure there are only 2 things that could help me:
#1 More money so I wouldn't have to sell my collection in order to purchase more or
#2 - Medicine

I am thinking about selling all & either collecting only Babe Ruths or going after the Monster in low grade without any errors or SP's. Any suggestions?

Leon
11-04-2012, 10:05 AM
You are a perfect candidate to become a type card collector. The definition of that can be just about anything you want. For me that means at least one card from each set 1900-1949, and one of each back in each set, etc.....Type collecting is just about anything you want it to be except full set collecting ( at least to me).

glchen
11-04-2012, 10:09 AM
I think you should collect the cards that you get the most enjoyment from. That is, the ones that you are most proud of and enjoy looking at the most. From the above, it looks like the Ruth's since that seems to be a constant in your collecting, and you have said that the Goudey Ruth's are among your favorites.

I started collecting a bunch of different sets also. I finished the 1933 Goudey set in low grade, but then ended up selling off the entire thing to try to complete it in medium grade. However, now I am almost finished with it, but I'm getting ready to sell it off to focus on other things, namely (like you) my Ruth collection. In the end, (at least right now), these are the cards that I like the most, and I think I want a smaller collection, rather than a larger, sprawling collection since I don't really have the space for it. I also collect all of these smaller oddball sets (e.g., W519, W590, Baguer, Schutter), but I think I will start whittling these down also. I *may* still keep one of these smaller sets to keep working on it. Sometimes, you get an "itch" to just buy some cards and to work on some set. However, with really expensive cards like Ruth's, you really need to have patience. Therefore, sometimes it's best to get this buying itch out on some cheap cards that don't burn through your pocketbook.

frankbmd
11-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Anhedonia

Ladder7
11-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Ritalin helped me.

alanu
11-05-2012, 10:18 PM
The chase is a big part of the hobby for me and often when I have cards for awhile, no matter how long I searched before I found them, I lose some interest and sell them. Part of the reason is that I need funds to make other purchases though. I find more and more that my collection is a bunch or cards I really like, but aren't worth all that much.

sdkammeyer
11-05-2012, 10:57 PM
GO FOR THE MONSTER!! :D

i just started going for all psa 4's with no qualifiers. i'm not uber wealthy so i know this is gonna take some time. but the cards are just so historic and beautiful that i know i will never get tired of looking at them.

Exhibitman
11-06-2012, 06:45 AM
Yup. I've assembled and sold off several sets once the thrill of the chase is over and I realize what I have into them. One thing that works for me is that over the last few years I've collected mainstream postwar stuff [1950s-1960s] in low grade--lets me get the cards I want at prices that don't tempt me to sell off later on.

kcohen
11-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Whatever you decide - remember. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

vintagecpa
11-06-2012, 07:10 AM
I ran into the same problem in my past collecting. I have started so many pre and post war sets that I eventually sold off. I now simply try to collect my favorite card or two in any given set. The unfortunate part is I don't buy that many cards anymore. It is a struggle, because collecting a complete set is still in my blood from my youth.

Leon
11-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Almost daily I think of Adam's Fabulous Freak Bros. cartoon. I am in the poorhouse but have a few cards to look at. I feel like if I sell any of my cool ones it will be a chain reaction :eek:. I think in the next few years I might do a catalog sale of my collection and start over. That would be fun and I think it would make a neat read/display (in the pages). The hunt is definitely part of the fun.

markf31
11-06-2012, 07:39 AM
I haven't been back into the hobby long enough to get to that point yet, but I can definitely see myself selling off sets after I have completed them and the chase is over with. Especially as I will find and begin new projects.

t206hound
11-06-2012, 11:25 AM
My current plan is to sell my set once I complete it and start over. To me, it's all about the chase.

Bunker
11-06-2012, 05:05 PM
I have done the same thing many times, but I agree with Leon Type collecting would probably work well for you. I actually started type collecting awhile ago for some of the same reasons given here. The problem came when I bought my first 1953 Bowman Color...I got hooked on them and have put the type collection on hold for now. I am also building a complete raw Topps run from 1952-1989 that keeps me busy.

25801wv
11-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will sell everything & start over. Still don't know which way I'm going yet. I am going to start collecting poor condition T206 commons while I figure out the rest. (10 down, only 510 to go).