PDA

View Full Version : Help with 2 antique/vintage baseballs(lemon peel?)

Mac927
11-01-2012, 05:59 PM
I don't post much as this is my first post in about 3 years but I recently came across 2 old baseballs at a local auction. The one appears to be a lemon peel of some sort and the other I have no idea. It is made of leather and is the size of a golf ball but has a baseball stitching pattern. I have provided pictures with a present day MLB ball to show the size differences. Any help would be appreciated and possibly a value as well. I dont have much experience in antique baseballs. Thanks in advance for your help.

drc
11-01-2012, 07:43 PM
I'm no expert, but there were mini-sized baseballs in the early 1900s.

BigJJ
11-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Interesting items. Baseball was primarily a game for children and youths until 1840-1850, and most small lemonpeels and belt balls date from that time period, or earlier. But your small ball appears to be a figure eight, dating to post 1870-1880, may be additionally dated to the later date based on what looks like it being a harder ball. Balls got progressively harder until finally we, unfortunately, needed mitts, c.1880-1895. So I think you have either some unusual salesman sample or child's baseball from c.1880-1890. The other ball appears to be a rural made, softer, four piece? (hard to see in the photos) lemon peel baseball c.1860, better made ones had three interior sticthes, one exterior, and even better if made of one, instead of four, pieces of leather. Nice pickups.

thecatspajamas
11-01-2012, 08:33 PM
The smaller ball looks like a well-worn "cork ball" to me rather than a "mini baseball". I'm basing that on the stitching appearing to be spaced farther apart than what I have seen on true mini baseballs. Brandon may be able to give more specific differences between the two (stitch count, perhaps?), but at that level of wear, I don't think it would make a huge difference price-wise.

Both cork balls and baseballs were produced well beyond the early 1900's. There is at least 1 manufacturer that I know of still making cork balls, and I've seen true mini baseballs up through at least the Bill White ONL era of the early 1990's.

No idea about the "lemon peel" ball, but there has been enough discussion of those being produced in modern times from vintage leather that I would be wary of that one as well. Hopefully someone more knowledgable can jump in here with more than my "be careful" advice.

Mac927
11-02-2012, 05:10 AM
Here are some other pictures. Thanks

BigJJ
11-02-2012, 11:13 AM
ah ha. one piece lemonpeel.
little rough and rudimentary in making, but looks to be the real deal from here.

vintagesportflips
11-02-2012, 05:15 PM
The lemon peel looks legit to me, and its always speculation as to age, but I would say 1860's or so. It's nice its a one piece leather ball, and while has some moderate condition issues, I would say it's value is somewhere around $500 or so.
I haven't seen cork balls in that dark toned leather before, but I could be wrong. My guess would be a rudimentary 1880's figure 8 ball, likely used in children baseball games (or similar stick and ball games). Value on that one I would say $50-$100.

poohbearhansen
08-23-2014, 09:04 AM
I bought an item from ebay that looks like a miniature baseball, but it's not very dark leather. It is about the size of a golf ball, but has the same stitching pattern of a baseball.

perezfan
08-23-2014, 10:05 AM
The lemon peel looks legit to me, and its always speculation as to age, but I would say 1860's or so. It's nice its a one piece leather ball, and while has some moderate condition issues, I would say it's value is somewhere around $500 or so.
I haven't seen cork balls in that dark toned leather before, but I could be wrong. My guess would be a rudimentary 1880's figure 8 ball, likely used in children baseball games (or similar stick and ball games). Value on that one I would say $50-$100.

I would agree with Keith on both counts....

Legit Lemon Peel and Rudimentary 1880s Figure 8 Ball. Both appear legit, and a are nice examples. But I might state a higher bvalue for the early Figure 8... Perhaps $150 - $200 for that one, IMO.

1880nonsports
08-23-2014, 04:42 PM
Both appear to be old and original and as suggested above.
LP - 350.-450.
SB - 50.-75.

As for the "other" ball - I think it's for the game of fives.
FB - 25.-75.

No guarantees whether written or implied.