PDA

View Full Version : Help with Angels flannel jersey

Chris Counts
10-31-2012, 08:37 PM
I just picked up this old Angels flannel jersey, and I'm trying to establish when it was made or used. The eBay seller apparently thought it was a contemporary jersey, since he attributed it to Bobby Wilson, who wore the jersey's number 46 for the Angels last season. But it sure looks like a 60s jersey to me. What do you guys think?

Scott Garner
10-31-2012, 09:26 PM
Hi Chris,
This Angels jersy is definately from the Los Angeles Angels era from 1961-1965, prior to the Angels move to Anaheim, CA.

Sorry I can't nail it down to the exact year for you.

baseball tourist
10-31-2012, 09:35 PM
Scott is correct. Wilson tagging is the proof that this is not a modern turn back the clock gamer.

perezfan
11-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Hi Chris,
This Angels jersy is definately from the Los Angeles Angels era from 1961-1965, prior to the Angels move to Anaheim, CA.

Sorry I can't nail it down to the exact year for you.

Scott:
Do you happen to know that Wilson supplied the Angels' Jerseys only during their "Los Angeles" years? Because I was thinking this one could also be from their time in Anaheim (from 1966 - 70). They wore this style during those years as well...

If from 1969, it should have evidence (thread removal) of a rectangular MLB 100th Anniversary Sleeve Patch.

If from 1970, it would have evidence of a State of California Patch.

In 1971, they switched to the lower case "a" font. This was the last year that they wore flannels. In 1972, they kept the lower case "a", but switched over to knits (like so many other teams that year...)

Scott Garner
11-01-2012, 04:07 AM
Scott:
Do you happen to know that Wilson supplied the Angels' Jerseys only during their "Los Angeles" years? Because I was thinking this one could also be from their time in Anaheim (from 1966 - 70). They wore this style during those years as well...

If from 1969, it should have evidence (thread removal) of a rectangular MLB 100th Anniversary Sleeve Patch.

If from 1970, it would have evidence of a State of California Patch.

In 1971, they switched to the lower case "a" font. This was the last year that they wore flannels. In 1972, they kept the lower case "a", but switched over to knits (like so many other teams that year...)

Mark,
After reading your post, I did a little more digging at my end. I looked at my Calfornia Angels team photo from 1966. This was the franchises' 1st year in Anaheim. Mark is correct that they DID wear this style uniform in 1966. Also, there are no patches on either sleeve present in 1966. Additionally, retrosheet.org does not show a Bobby Wilson playing for the Angels or any other franchise in the era of 1961-1971 which were the only years that the Angels wore flannel.

I don't know the answer to this question for sure, but my friend Tom is the largest collector of Angels game used. I will toss this question to him to see if he can do a better job of nailing down a year.

Scott Garner
11-01-2012, 04:09 AM
I just picked up this old Angels flannel jersey, and I'm trying to establish when it was made or used. The eBay seller apparently thought it was a contemporary jersey, since he attributed it to Bobby Wilson, who wore the jersey's number 46 for the Angels last season. But it sure looks like a 60s jersey to me. What do you guys think?

Hi Chris,
Could you please also post a closeup of the Wilson tag as well as the number 46 from the back of the Angels uniform? These might provide aditional clues for my friend Tom who is an expert in Angels game used.

Thanks!

Chris Counts
11-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the replies. Here's a photo of the only tag on the jersey. As for the date, I figured it could be anywhere from 1961 to 1968. There's no sign there was ever a patch on the sleeve. I searched Google for auction results of old Angels flannels, and I found about a dozen. Most were made by McAuliffe, and the only Wilson I found was dated 1968 ...

Scott Garner
11-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the Wilson label scan Chris. Can you also post a picture of the number on back of the uniform. Sometimes the number font offers a clue as to the year.

Chris Counts
11-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Here you go, Scott ...

Scott Garner
11-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Thanks Chris! I'll see what my friend Tom comes up with.