PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions if you have either book

Rich Klein
10-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Today: I picked up the new editions of both the Krause (F&W) Standard Catalog of Vintage Cards and the Beckett Almanac of Baseball Cards and Collectibles.

I have seen almost no publicity for either tome so I was wondering if any of our board members have these new bookx and their opinion thereof

Regards
Rich

Republicaninmass
10-31-2012, 04:46 PM
I thought this was about 50 shades of Gray

mybestbretts
10-31-2012, 05:38 PM
I have the ipad version of the new Standard. It is fine, don't have the Beckett. The standard only goes to 1980 so for me it isn't that great.
I have only learned lately that not all catalogs have the same past
items. Items are left out to make room for the new stuff. I didn't realize
that. I have about 5 old Beckett/Standard catalogs and wish I had
several earlier ones so I could better reference certain items.
I fully realize the problem and would only say save your old catalogs.

ValKehl
10-31-2012, 09:06 PM
After I purchased (last year) the 2012? edition of the Standard Catalog of Vintage BB cards, if memory serves me correctly, I read somewhere (Net 54?) that many/most of Bob Lemke's changes, corrections, additions, etc. didn't make it into this edition for some reason or another. If so, does anyone (hello Bob) know if the new 2013? edition that has recently come out has lotsa changes from last year's edition?
Val

JLange
11-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Looks like the 2013 version corrected the frustrating issue from last year whereby sets were arranged alphabetized but not chronological. So you had to flip back and forth to find all of the sets / insert sets for a given brand and year.

The fact that the catalog did not incorporate Bob's changes last year, the fact that they no longer list an editor at all, and the fact that they pull out prior catalogued but less popular sets to make room for other stuff means I will no longer contribute any uncatalogued card info to Krause. Better to ensure sites like Old Cardboard get it so it's professionally documented and shared with the public in a timely manner

Bob Lemke
11-01-2012, 02:42 PM
I just finished skimming the 2013 SCBC. Mind you, I had no input into the book. The 2013 book does correct most of the major alphabetizing problems of the previous edition, most significantly in the Topps listings.

As far as I can see at first glance, none of the additions, corrections, etc. submitted for the 2012 book have been incorporated in the 2013 edition.

I assume they were lost in the shuffle of laid-off employees or in a black hole somewhere in the old and/or new data bases.

I think I may still have copies of the files I submitted through 2009-2010. If I do, I'll give them to Tom Bartsch.

Tom is the only editorial person left on the book, and like most of the rank and file at F+W he does have the hobby's best interests at heart, but gets precious little support from management.

Leon
11-01-2012, 03:19 PM
I just finished skimming the 2013 SCBC. Mind you, I had no input into the book. The 2013 book does correct most of the major alphabetizing problems of the previous edition, most significantly in the Topps listings.

As far as I can see at first glance, none of the additions, corrections, etc. submitted for the 2012 book have been incorporated in the 2013 edition.

I assume they were lost in the shuffle of laid-off employees or in a black hole somewhere in the old and/or new data bases.

I think I may still have copies of the files I submitted through 2009-2010. If I do, I'll give them to Tom Bartsch.

Tom is the only editorial person left on the book, and like most of the rank and file at F+W he does have the hobby's best interests at heart, but gets precious little support from management.

I have met Tom several times and he does seem like a really nice guy and does want the best for the hobby.

As to the original question I only have the 2012 SCD vintage guide and one of the Beckett Price Guides recently put out, not the Almanac. The Beckett Price Guide is the best printed price guide I have ever seen (for vintage). I strongly recommend it. Beckett gave away 10-20 copies of the at the Net54baseball dinner at the National this year. It would be nice to hear from anyone that received one, and how well they like or dislike it.