PDA

View Full Version : Our most senior? board member needs some help....

Leon
10-30-2012, 03:00 PM
I received an email today from a "new" board member. He is 93 years young and needs a bit of help. This picture, he told me, his dad got for him. It is inscribed to our member himself. Recently it was stolen off of his desk. I know it's a very slim chance but if anyone sees this, it is obviously our members picture...as Ruth signed it personally to him, Jonathan Sternberg, please let me know. I am going to post this on the autograph side too. BTW, I think this could be used as a nice exemplar. It doesn't get much better, imho......Please be on the lookout for it.

JimStinson
10-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Leon.......Having had a collection stolen and retrieved within 72 hours I have a little experience.
Tell him to IMMEDIATELY put a classified ad in his local paper to read as follows. BUT HAVE SOMEONE ELSE PLACE THE ADD AND FIELD THE CALLS

"BUYING autographs of old sports celebrities, Top dollar paid $10,000 or more. Especially interested in anything signed by Lou Gehrig & Babe Ruth"

Then have him list his contact number and have someone field the calls
-------------------------
Buying and Selling Vintage autographs for over three decades
jim@stinsonsports.com

Leon
10-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Leon.......Having had a collection stolen and retrieved within 72 hours I have a little experience.
Tell him to IMMEDIATELY put a classified ad in his local paper to read as follows. BUT HAVE SOMEONE ELSE PLACE THE ADD AND FIELD THE CALLS

"BUYING autographs of old sports celebrities, Top dollar paid $10,000 or more. Especially interested in anything signed by Lou Gehrig & Babe Ruth"

Then have him list his contact number and have someone field the calls
-------------------------
Buying and Selling Vintage autographs for over three decades
jim@stinsonsports.com

Thanks Jim, will do. BTW, he is in the Pennsylvania area.

David Atkatz
10-30-2012, 03:33 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but IMHO that photo is ghost-signed.

JimStinson
10-30-2012, 03:36 PM
I agree, But I wasn't asked to authenticate only to help retrieve

Leon
10-30-2012, 03:42 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but IMHO that photo is ghost-signed.

I wouldn't know, honestly. Hmmm....now that does add a twist to it. Of course I am only repeating what I was told. I am certainly not an autograph person. Now if it was a type card, then I would be in my area. Autograph, not so much. I will relay the message.

David Atkatz
10-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Leon, if he's believed it was genuine for this long, don't ruin it for him now.

HOFautosChris
10-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Horrible thing to have happen ! People who steal from the elderly are just all kinds of messed up. Hope his item is returned safely.

Leon
10-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Leon, if he's believed it was genuine for this long, don't ruin it for him now.

Good point but he will read the board. We could go off on a different tangent about this kind of issue but, regardless of it's authenticity, if his dad got it for him and he has had it for 50+ yrs I am not sure it would make a difference to him. As much as I do believe in white lies when it helps someone and hurts no one, on this one, I will probably just let the thread stay BUT not say anything otherwise.

cottnat
10-30-2012, 05:17 PM
I made a post on another forum to see if anyone out in that area would be willing to help.