PDA

View Full Version : St Mary's - Babe Ruth - All Material

BigJJ
10-27-2012, 09:24 PM
St. Mary's Industrial School for Boys in Baltimore, of a century ago, is a holy place for us all, even if today it only exists in ephemera and other objects, and in our imaginations. Home to Brother Mathias, Babe's adopted father and baseball teacher, St Mary's gave us Babe as person and ballplayer.
No other, high school, baseball memorabilia compares in my mind.
It may be argued that St Mary's Babe Ruth material should be as important as professional material.
What Babe Ruth material is out there from St Mary's? And how about St Mary's baseball material in general?
Also if anyone knows what became of St Mary's, and/or of any additional interesting info please feel free to chime in.

Sean1125
10-28-2012, 05:35 AM
I don't know what material is actually out there. But I agree that it should be just as important as a later worn uniform. I still think (high end) Yankee fans would have no problem dropping huge $$ on used pieces of the Babe. He is one of those guys that makes everyone turn and gawk when they see a nice piece of his.

My thoughts,

Sean

ruth-gehrig
10-28-2012, 08:51 AM
I remember visiting the Babe Ruth museum in Baltimore about 15 years ago. I remember they had some pics of Ruth at St. Mary's along with some other memorabilia. What I remember the most however was a songbook from the church. If I remember correctly the placecard in front of the display said it was found years after Ruth had left, perhaps under a church pew. Anyways it said something to the effect of "World's worst singer, world's best hitter(or was it pitcher?) - signed by George H. Ruth. It was pretty neat and left a lasting impression.

HexsHeroes
10-28-2012, 06:14 PM

. . . and our guide pointed out the second story window of the executive office's at Camden Yard to a (reddish brown roof shingles, or was it reddish brown brick) building in the distance and stated that it one was part of the St. Mary's Industrial School (then elaborated about it's role in the life of Babe Ruth). He finished by stating that it now was part of the local hospital. I took a photo of it from that second story vantage point, but am having some difficulty locating the photo now.

BigJJ
10-28-2012, 07:57 PM

He finished by stating that it now was part of the local hospital. I took a photo of it from that second story vantage point, but am having some difficulty locating the photo now.

Are there buildings from St Mary's still standing, interesting; look forward to seeing any photos. :cool:

IronHorse2130
10-28-2012, 09:14 PM
I recall a ball being auctioned off not that long ago that was signed by Brother Mathias.

PhilNap
10-28-2012, 09:55 PM
From the Babe's last year there.

BigJJ
10-29-2012, 12:09 PM
I saw the ball signed by Brother Mathias and Ruth, awesome, as is the calendar above. :cool: