PDA

View Full Version : John Rogers - Slightly OT

bobfreedman
10-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Very cool 2 minute clip

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50133986n&tag=cbsnewsEnterpriseFDArea;fdleft

Leon
10-27-2012, 07:59 AM
That was a cool clip. Thanks for posting it. John is a very nice guy and a hobby friend. He is very supportive of our board too. It is great to see his operation as he does what he does. One of these days he will be one of the speakers at the Net54baseball dinner at the National.

Jaybird
10-27-2012, 08:01 AM
cool piece. I've always thought it was a brilliant business model. Turn something a company no longer wants to deal with (prints and negative) and turn it into an asset. Then keep the by-product and sell it. What could be better?

Thanks for sharing the clip.

WhenItWasAHobby
10-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Thanks for link. Super good stuff!

The one thing that stood out was the issue that photographers would take hundreds of photos at an event and only publish one or two. Undoubtedly he has a vast treasure of unpublished historic sports photos.

I recall reading that the famous photo by a Pittsburgh Post Gazette photographer of a bleeding YA Tittle kneeling in the endzone after getting pummeled by John Baker of the Steelers was passed over by the sports editor. But as they say, the rest is history.......

http://www.manlyweb.com/sports/injuries/yatittle.jpg

Rich Klein
10-27-2012, 05:28 PM
but I have been told by a friend of mine who produces player-licensed photos that Y.A. actually likes that photo and has requested that photo for his appearances.

Rich

Wite3
10-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Neat clip...never really thought about this.

tbob
10-28-2012, 04:31 PM
I bought an original photograph of Joe D. and Marilyn which was published in the Detroit newspaper at the 2011 National and only wish I had purchased more sports-related photographs.

ethicsprof
10-28-2012, 06:12 PM
I have bought a couple of my favorite original photos from him:
a barney stein photo of Herman Franks as he was about to go to war
in '42. I particularly loved the narrative written by stein on the back of the photo speaking of Franks' training in Pensacola.
also a neil leifur photo of the big wave with a lone surfer---a '69 photo that was a winner in the NPPA competition before leifur was the key photographer for
SI.
all the best,
barry

whitehse
10-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks for link. Super good stuff!

The one thing that stood out was the issue that photographers would take hundreds of photos at an event and only publish one or two. Undoubtedly he has a vast treasure of unpublished historic sports photos.

I recall reading that the famous photo by a Pittsburgh Post Gazette photographer of a bleeding YA Tittle kneeling in the endzone after getting pummeled by John Baker of the Steelers was passed over by the sports editor. But as they say, the rest is history.......

http://www.manlyweb.com/sports/injuries/yatittle.jpg

He sent me this exact photo when I mailed him an autograph request.