View Full Version : opinions on 48 Musial

tonyo
10-27-2012, 04:55 AM
Hi all,

Does this Musial look fishy to anyone?

Tony

stlcardsfan
10-27-2012, 07:16 AM
Hard for me to tell. I bought a fake one at another website (www.sportscardforum.com). After much back and forth I finally my money back. This is definitely not that card. For what it's worth, your card looks more legit. But I am now leery of any raw 48 Leaf Musial.

Volod
10-27-2012, 10:16 AM
No expert on the set, but wondering what specifically is raising your suspicions?

tonyo
10-27-2012, 10:30 AM
No expert on the set, but wondering what specifically is raising your suspicions?

The stock feels "a little" more smooth to me than the other Leafs that I own.

I've compared it to other graded Musials I've seen on ebay and can't see any obvious differences, but that gnawing feeling keeps coming back. So I just thought I'd see if we have any experts on board who may know some specific things to look for on known reprints (if there are any).

Tony

HRBAKER
10-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Does the seller deal primarily/exclusively in raw cards? If he is a graded card dealer and this is raw, I might be leery on two fronts; poss. authenticity and overgrading. FWIW, it appears real to me. The wears to the corners seems natural and not contrived.

Paul S
10-28-2012, 08:43 AM
The stock feels "a little" more smooth to me than the other Leafs that I own.

I've compared it to other graded Musials I've seen on ebay and can't see any obvious differences, but that gnawing feeling keeps coming back. So I just thought I'd see if we have any experts on board who may know some specific things to look for on known reprints (if there are any).

Tony

Ted Z may be able to help you out with this one (He pulled his from packs as a kid).

CW
10-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Just a suggestion, but you might be able to compare the thickness of the card stock by putting this Musial in a stack of raw Leafs and looking at the stack from the side. If this Musial card is thicker/thinner it should stick out as the oddball.

tonyo
05-17-2019, 07:08 AM
Just a suggestion, but you might be able to compare the thickness of the card stock by putting this Musial in a stack of raw Leafs and looking at the stack from the side. If this Musial card is thicker/thinner it should stick out as the oddball.

Hard to believe it's been 7 years since I last asked this question.

I don't think I ever tried comparing it to a stack of 48/49s but I'll do that when I get home.

Want to run this by the board again, I'm thinking of adding it to Bobby's submission and it was suggested I ask the board's opinion on authenticity.

Also, if anyone thinks it's real, opinions on grade it may receive?

jchcollins
05-17-2019, 07:31 AM
I just picked up the Williams from this set. It looks real to me...I was going to say if anything seemed off it was the color - but the color is all over the place on this set. Some are very dark, some are light. How badly creased is it? Just looking at the pic, I would say it could be a 3, but they might ding it lower based on whatever that stain is on the bottom. Hard to tell and especially with PSA anymore - it's not uncommon on this set to see 2's or 2.5's that present higher than 3's.

tonyo
08-10-2019, 06:31 AM
In case anyone is interested, the subject card was part of Bobby's recent group submission and was deemed "N4 Questionable Authenticity" by PSA

live and learn (hopefully)