PDA

View Full Version : Your Mile High Wins?

jimivintage
10-25-2012, 06:01 AM
Ever "accidentally" won an auction before? My wife is not going to be thrilled about this win. She's usually one of the rare supportive spouses in this hobby. I kind of made a bid on a couple of auctions last week or so, and won one of them....and it wasn't even prewar. Ugh, but nonetheless, I'll be happy with my near complete 1955 Topps set. :)

Now....any suggestions on how to ease the pain with the wife?

Jimi

ullmandds
10-25-2012, 06:02 AM
I "accidentally" win auctions more often than I'd like to admit! Definitely a habit I plan to break!!!!! Congrats on a sweet set!

wolf441
10-25-2012, 06:28 AM
I feel your pain Jimi! My wife is usually supportive as well, but there have been times when I have been in the doghouse. But when it's a card that you have to have, it is easier to say "sorry" than to say "do you mind if I buy..?"

Steve

Leon
10-25-2012, 06:40 AM
I won a few small things for resale but was surprised this Headin' Home went as high as it did. I know early Ruth stuff has gone up but this was a fairly hefty price. Congrats to the winner. I love these type cards.

http://milehighcardco.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=25964

Brian Van Horn
10-25-2012, 07:08 AM
Ever "accidentally" won an auction before? My wife is not going to be thrilled about this win. She's usually one of the rare supportive spouses in this hobby. I kind of made a bid on a couple of auctions last week or so, and won one of them....and it wasn't even prewar. Ugh, but nonetheless, I'll be happy with my near complete 1955 Topps set. :)

Now....any suggestions on how to ease the pain with the wife?

Jimi

Volunteer to sit in the doghouse. It shows you know you did wrong and took the initiative. I don't know how well this would work with employers.

Jlighter
10-25-2012, 09:09 AM
You could always just resell it, if you don't want it that is.

HRBAKER
10-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Not bidding and sleeping all night, that was my win.

jimivintage
10-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Holy crap, she's NOT mad! I guess it's a win for me after all! Well, I guess I'll be selling like a champ now. If anyone wants to bid on my crap on eBay, go for it! :)

And, side note, I do want the cards I won now that the guilt has subsided a bit. :)

Rob D.
10-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Not bidding and sleeping all night, that was my win.

Sounds like a win-win.

glynparson
10-25-2012, 11:20 AM
1933 Sport King PSA 8 Duke Kahanamoku and the 1966 Topps Baseball set minus 2 cards.

bxb
10-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Just got my catalog in the mail today.

Guess I won't be bidding.

Exhibitman
10-27-2012, 12:46 PM
I won a few small things for resale but was surprised this Headin' Home went as high as it did. I know early Ruth stuff has gone up but this was a fairly hefty price. Congrats to the winner. I love these type cards.

http://milehighcardco.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=25964

That is true; one of the funnest parts of collecting is having an "I've never seen that before" reaction from fellow collectors when you break out something from your private stash.