PDA

View Full Version : Question about "Shot Heard around the World" original photo

Iwantmorecards77
10-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Hey all,

I just have a couple of questions. My grandfather was a photographer and snapped the shot of Bobby Thomson's famous home run in 1951. It's the photo of him swinging and the ball heading towards the stands (many prints have the dotted line that show the track of the ball.) My grandfather and his photo was featured in a Joshua Prager book.

We have a family member that has hit some tough times, including some difficult medical problems - so they are thinking it may be time to get some help.

What is believed to be the original photo as well as the negatives of that photo, are in the family. What would something like that be valued at? What auction houses do you feel would be interested or the best to handle something like this?

I've attached the photo (not the original but one from the internet - just so you know which photo I'm discussing.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd

iwantitiwinit
10-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Cha Ching! REA all the way.

packs
10-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Wow, really cool. I'm not sure you would want to go the eBay route with something so special but Henry Yee is a well known photo dealer and would probably get that photo a lot of looks. His stuff does really well on eBay.

earlywynnfan
10-24-2012, 07:35 PM
I agree: REA

Jlighter
10-24-2012, 08:31 PM
For comparison this Joe Jackson photo sold for over 30,000 and I believe yours is much more desirable.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2012/10.html

BigJJ
10-25-2012, 02:55 AM
With this item, and at this time, Robert Edward Auctions (REA) is 100% where I would go with this item. Talk to Rob. Make sure your reserve is at a price that you would feel comfortable selling. Of course whether copyrights are coming along with the piece will come up. There are major baseball photo archivists and collectors such as John Rogers who I believe would love the highest resolution of this image, and they are bidding in REA. As a side note, I believe Bobby Thomson was a neighbor of Rob's in New Jersey.

Iwantmorecards77
10-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I was thinking REA, originally, when my father said him and his brother were thinking of selling. They're going to have to really think about this - and if this is what they really want/need to do. If they decide to sell, I will certainly have them contact Rob (or if they want me to.)

Thanks again!

Todd