PDA

View Full Version : Check this Joe Jackson auto out

mighty bombjack
10-20-2012, 10:15 AM
With a nice Pete auto to boot

This is what I call a Frankencard. Damn.

http://pristineauction.com/auctions/index/details/id/69680/

yanks12025
10-20-2012, 10:46 AM
That has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever seen. How can you authenticate something with two letters.

Big Dave
10-20-2012, 11:22 AM
What a joke ......PSA ....pretty stupid authentication .....DNA ...... don't know authenticaters .....

PSA....please stop authenticating

jgmp123
10-20-2012, 11:37 AM
WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THAT PIECE OF CRAP!! Shame on anyone involved in making that cluster...:mad:

ibuysportsephemera
10-20-2012, 12:25 PM
What is crazy is that there are actually 10 bids and it is up to almost $2,500.

Forever Young
10-20-2012, 01:11 PM
What a joke ......PSA ....pretty stupid authentication .....DNA ...... don't know authenticaters .....

PSA....please stop authenticating

Why are you so sure it is fake?? Can you please offer some thoughts other than Psa is wrong?

packs
10-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Its a J. It could be anyone's J. There isn't enough there to ever be "right."

Big Dave
10-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Everybody knows that is his sister's autograph....Joe actually used an "e" at the end of his name.

travrosty
10-20-2012, 01:53 PM
its a cut from this auction, they are still making assumptions that it is legit because it accompanies two others autographs. but that is psa style of doing things. its not enough of an autograph to authenticate. you have to authenticate each autograph.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7051&lotIdNo=37052

RichardSimon
10-20-2012, 02:04 PM
That has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever seen. How can you authenticate something with two letters.

++

RichardSimon
10-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Why are you so sure it is fake?? Can you please offer some thoughts other than Psa is wrong?

PSA has to prove that they are right. How did they do that with that two letter squiggle?

Forever Young
10-20-2012, 02:22 PM
PSA has to prove that they are right. How did they do that with that two letter squiggle?

Perhaps they have proof it is right Richard. All you do is bash psa and jsa on here man. It is really getting tiresome. You obviously have a axe to grind and it is personal. You call them the alphabet guys, talk about tombs.. etc etc. Do you charge for authenticating?? If you think it is bad, prove it. PERIOD

Forever Young
10-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Everybody knows that is his sister's autograph....Joe actually used an "e" at the end of his name.

REALLY?? Everybody knows that?? He was illiterate for God's sake. You don't think through the process he might have mixed it up a bit?

gnaz01
10-20-2012, 02:27 PM

In my opinion, PSA does not have to prove it is right. It is their "opinion" it is good, and whomever buys it has to be able to trust PSA. It is still a buyer beware market 1000%!

Fuddjcal
10-20-2012, 02:39 PM
the stupidest most ridiculous thing I've ever seen...and it's a HALF of a "J".

Having their name attached to that drec, authentic or not, only knocks "the alphabets" down another rung.

Forever Young
10-20-2012, 02:47 PM
in my opinion, psa does not have to prove it is right. It is their "opinion" it is good, and whomever buys it has to be able to trust psa. It is still a buyer beware market 1000%!

true that.

Big Dave
10-20-2012, 02:57 PM
PSA and JSA don't get bashed just for being PSA & JSA......they get bashed for their incompetence, their know it all attitude, their inability to know basic authentication procedures, their authentication of laser prints, items manufactured after the death of players, autographs were their are no known exemplers, wife, ghost, batboy, managers, etc...etc. Just their pure incompetence for being...as they state...the world's largest authentication company....and by implied reference...the best.

Of course....a lot of people just think they suck...period.

Fuddjcal
10-20-2012, 03:03 PM
PSA and JSA don't get bashed just for being PSA & JSA......they get bashed for their incompetence, their know it all attitude, their inability to know basic authentication procedures, their authentication of laser prints, items manufactured after the death of players, autographs were their are no known exemplers, wife, ghost, batboy, managers, etc...etc. Just their pure incompetence for being...as they state...the world's largest authentication company....and by implied reference...the best.

+1

pariah1107
10-20-2012, 03:11 PM
How many barely literate people could there have been in the early 1900's with a name starting with "J"? IT HAS TO BE SHOELESS JOE! :rolleyes:

David Atkatz
10-20-2012, 03:30 PM
The partial signature was cut from the back of an envelope--sent to Jackson--upon which Jackson "practiced" signing--it contained two complete signatures, as well as the partial. It had been sold at auction (Heritage) for $45,000, and had been authenticated by PSA.

Cutting up that envelope was a crime. Without the association with the Jackson envelope, that "Jo" is worthless.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/datkatz/jackson.jpg

travrosty
10-20-2012, 03:45 PM
they authenticate by association, thats what i find disturbing. because the cert says it matches exemplars, and Mr. Atkatz is right, if you send that in all by itself, it wouldnt get the cert, or at least i hope it wouldn't.

Forever Young
10-20-2012, 03:55 PM

With the pure volume of sigs authenticated out there(by psa and jsa), they are bound to make mistakes just like everyone else. It is not an exact science. I am pretty sure that the "experts" on here bashing them have made mistakes too and taken money doing it. Actually, I think examples were even posted on here before. Maybe one should ask themselves how they had proven items authentic that were in fact not?? I wonder if those same "experts" were given a chance to authenticate the same volume, and say psa or jsa hired a sorry soul to spend all of his/her free time to look for their mistakes(or potential mistakes), if the percentage of mistakes would be lower. I would bet NOT. Collectors.. be careful what you ask for is all I gotta say. This particular piece, was part of a lot(which David shared). This is obviously a variable. So for those who think "how can psa authenticate a 2 letters".. well there is your answer. I bet you think it is impossible to give an OPINION of TY in a Ty Cobb letter too huh??? Ridiculous..

Forever Young
10-20-2012, 04:02 PM
they authenticate by association, thats what i find disturbing. because the cert says it matches exemplars, and Mr. Atkatz is right, if you send that in all by itself, it wouldnt get the cert, or at least i hope it wouldn't.

It is a F N OPINION TRAVIS. You gauge everything available and form one. Do you refuse to give an opinion or buy something when you have not seen the person sign it??? So they have exemplars and it was on a piece by association. How is that disturbing??? These are two facts that were available to them to form an OPINION. Also, how do you know they were the only variables?
This is Travis right? Sometimes I am not sure as your writing styles seem to vary from time to time.

Signing off for now..

JimStinson
10-20-2012, 04:03 PM
I thought it was a picture of a butterfly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5woNs9WRE

Big Dave
10-20-2012, 04:57 PM
I stand by what I stated Ben......and these reasons are valid and have been proven numerous times. Just because they may take in more then they can handle...it is no excuse for their inability to get it right. If they can't take the time on each item that is required for a professional and correct assessment....then they should hire more people...cut down on their acceptance....or go out of business. It's not like they just started this...they have been at it for 13 years.

2dueces
10-20-2012, 05:18 PM
The partial signature was cut from the back of an envelope--sent to Jackson--upon which Jackson "practiced" signing--it contained two complete signatures, as well as the partial. It had been sold at auction (Heritage) for $45,000, and had been authenticated by PSA.

Cutting up that envelope was a crime. Without the association with the Jackson envelope, that "Jo" is worthless.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/datkatz/jackson.jpg

I agree. What a shame. Turned a nice piece of memorabilia into a piece of ....
Disgusting.

Mr. Zipper
10-20-2012, 05:59 PM
I agree. What a shame. Turned a nice piece of memorabilia into a piece of ....
Disgusting.

There is little doubt the other two signatures will show up as separate cuts as well. Three Jacksons for the price of one... :rolleyes:

thecatspajamas
10-20-2012, 07:05 PM
You mean 2.2 for the price of one... :rolleyes:

mschwade
10-20-2012, 07:06 PM
There is little doubt the other two signatures will show up as separate cuts as well. Three Jacksons for the price of one... :rolleyes:

While most of us will agree that it's a travesty this was done, they forked out the 48K+, so they can do with it what they want.

GrayGhost
10-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Card looks like crap.

39special
10-20-2012, 07:40 PM
It looks worse than crap.

David Atkatz
10-20-2012, 07:46 PM
While most of us will agree that it's a travesty this was done, they forked out the 48K+, so they can do with it what they want.Legally, yes, of course. But it's still wrong.

As collectors, we are merely caretakers. These artifacts existed before we were born, and they'll still be around--if we do our jobs--when we're gone.

The argument "He bought it, so he can do whatever he wants," is bullshit.

ibuysportsephemera
10-20-2012, 08:06 PM
In my opinion, PSA does not have to prove it is right. It is their "opinion" it is good, and whomever buys it has to be able to trust PSA. It is still a buyer beware market 1000%!

My problem with this statement is that most people don't think that they are getting just an "opinion", they feel that they are getting a guarantee when they get something authenticated.

RichardSimon
10-21-2012, 09:00 AM

+++

And add authentication of autopen signatures to your list of screwups.

mschwade
10-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Legally, yes, of course. But it's still wrong.

As collectors, we are merely caretakers. These artifacts existed before we were born, and they'll still be around--if we do our jobs--when we're gone.

I'm not saying it's right, believe me, I hate seeing such a beautiful letter and envelope cut up. He owns it though, and it's his legal right to do what he wants.

Navarro gets his rookie cards signed, a lot of the card guys don't agree with him, but it's his right also (and for the record, as an autograph guy, I like that Navarro does that.)

thenavarro
10-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Navarro gets his rookie cards signed, a lot of the card guys don't agree with him, but it's his right also (and for the record, as an autograph guy, I like that Navarro does that.)

I resemble that remark

mschwade
10-21-2012, 01:19 PM
I resemble that remark

And resemble it well!!

Burrguana
10-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Shoeless Joe Jackson Signatures are never pretty, but they sure are worth owning. They demand pretty big bucks at auction.

packs
10-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Is it really a signature if a guy just writes out some partial letters from his name? If I had an HO written by Honus Wagner is that a signature? What about a C from a Cobb signature? I should start cutting my signatures into first and last and double my sales.

Burrguana
10-22-2012, 05:56 PM
shoeless Joe collectors wont care.

JimStinson
10-22-2012, 06:03 PM
This sounds crazy but its true... but over 100 years ago, Collectors/dealers would take a George Washington letter or a Abe Lincoln letter or a Thomas Jefferson letter and slash it into individual "words" and mat with a photo and sell it , so its not a NEW thing. And I could be wrong BUT a letter signed by one of the above MIGHT have more historical importance than a guy who could not even write and sold out his own team mates

David Atkatz
10-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Have to disagree, Jim. A century ago, collectors did not mat autographs with photos. And the slicing up of letters into individual words is quite a modern phenomena. (In defense of those that do that sort of thing, though, it is usually an unsigned manuscript that is minced.)

JimStinson
10-22-2012, 06:34 PM
David Not a problem see....

http://www.amazon.com/Autographs-Collecting-Mary-A-Benjamin/dp/B00005VH8Y

This was written in 1960. Maybe i was wrong in using the word "matted" as I agree with you it can be confusing , BUT they did sell individual "words" and later (who knows when) matted and sold them

David Atkatz
10-22-2012, 08:42 PM
I've got a copy, Jim. (And it's been inscribed by Mary Benjamin herself. ;) )

yanks12025
10-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Shoeless Joe Jackson Signatures are never pretty, but they sure are worth owning. They demand pretty big bucks at auction.

Why didn't you want to tell the others you are the owner of it?

Burrguana
11-03-2012, 03:17 PM
I dont really care for too much attention. Auction ends Weds Nov 7th. Thank you to everyone who has checked it out. http://pristineauction.com/auctions/index/details/id/69680/http://pristineauction.com/auctions/index/details/id/69680/

Jlighter
11-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Legally, yes, of course. But it's still wrong.

Please note that I do agree with you.

But, what do you say about automobiles going to the junkyard. MANY people consider those works of art. While, yes you most likely won't see a Ferrari, you may see an old Benz or even a Rolls Royce past its prime.

David Atkatz
11-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Many a junkyard Benz or Rolls is bought and restored. Even a lowly VW beetle is saved from returning to the iron oxide from whence it came. (I know, 'cause I own one.)

Jlighter
11-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Many a junkyard Benz or Rolls is bought and restored. Even a lowly VW beetle is saved from returning to the iron oxide from whence it came. (I know, 'cause I own one.)

Many are, but many aren't. Do you still believe that the owner doesn't have the right to discard of it?

David Atkatz
11-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Hey, Jake. If you've followed this thread, you should have seen that I gave up. I'm not arguing. Do whatever the hell you like with your stuff; there are far more important things in the world for me to worry about.

I will continue, however, to preserve those artifacts that have been intrusted to my care.