PDA

View Full Version : new member question?

cards01fan
10-19-2012, 11:43 PM
Hi I am a new member, I collect a little of everything but am currently working on a HOF collection. I am looking for a Barney Dreyfuss first year card. The issue that keeps popping up is a 1902 Pittsburgh Pirates Is that a team card? a post card and what is the best way to ascertain a vintage players first year card? Thanks for any help

bcbgcbrcb
10-20-2012, 05:48 AM
Welcome aboard!

It's nice to see a new, fellow HOF collector entering the hobby, or at least the Net 54 Baseball world. The below link should prove very helpful for you:

http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/rookies/RookiesList.asp

To answer your question, the first individual card picturing Barney Dreyfuss is from the 1910 Tip Top Bread Pirates set. Although the condition is not the best, here is an example of what it looks like.....

If you need any help or have questions, I have been collecting these for nine years now and would be happy to help you as much as possible.

BTW your post should be on the main board section of the website rather than the B/S/T section. Hopefully, Leon will move it over for you.

cards01fan
10-20-2012, 08:24 AM
thanks Phil, I didnt realize I was in the wrong spot until I had posted. I was hoping a moderator could move it for me. I thought modern first card issues were confusing! lol

bcbgcbrcb
10-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Even the modern rookie cards can be debated. The majority of collectors go with the mainstream issues like Topps, Bowman, etc. but a few, like myself, also include team issues, etc. in the mix.

cards01fan
10-20-2012, 11:39 PM
thats what I was trying to say, it all is confusing lol. Is there a website that you recommend that talks about the older cards( like articles to read) anyway thanks again

bcbgcbrcb
10-21-2012, 04:10 AM
OldCardboard has a website and also a magazine with lots of great articles. I wrote one for them in issue # 21 which can be ordered from their website and it details many of the pre-war rookie cards. I also published a book about the subject as well. You can e-mail me at vguerrerobb@yahoo.com for more details, if you would like.

bcbgcbrcb
10-23-2012, 04:21 AM
Maybe some of our members can welcome you aboard as they have in much greater numbers for a new T206 collector that posted just yesterday.......

Bocabirdman
10-23-2012, 04:38 AM
You have arrived. This is the forum for you. Beware, it is highly addictive. Good luck in your card collecting.:)

Leon
10-23-2012, 05:49 AM
welcome to the forum......have a nice stay and good luck in the quest.

smtjoy
10-23-2012, 07:57 AM
Welcome aboard, good luck on your HOF Rookie collection!

Jcfowler6
10-24-2012, 07:47 PM
It wont be long until the BST because an addiction. Just beware when you are down to 3 bucks in the checking account and you are still on there shopping.

Good Luck
Jon