PDA

View Full Version : Irony: Slightly OT Earthquake in Maine tonight

Vintagecatcher
10-16-2012, 07:16 PM
At 7:12 p.m., tonight I experienced my first earthquake ever at my home here in Southern Maine. It was a 4.6.

The irony is that the only items that tipped over were a handful of 1911 Zeenuts in an antique bookcase behind me. Made me think...I wonder how many of the cards have experienced an earthquake before?

Patrick

rainier2004
10-16-2012, 07:27 PM
As a wilderness ranger in WA I was 13 miles from the nearest road and experienced a 2.6 about 3-4 miles from the epicenter...didnt have my cards with me though but was definitely an experience.

NewEnglandBaseBallist
10-16-2012, 07:28 PM
We felt it down here in Salem, MA as well. My apartment building actually shook for a few seconds and my neighbor's dogs were going crazy.

Vintagecatcher
10-16-2012, 07:35 PM
I was talking with a friend who lives 50 minutes to the South in New Hampshire, when I heard this rumble which sounded like a plane breaking the sound barrier. It felt like something hit my house. Then my house shook, and it felt like the floor was a wave. My friend felt it several seconds later in Portsmouth, NH, and her dog was freaking out.

Patrick

scooter729
10-16-2012, 07:40 PM
We got it all the way down in Boston, about 75+ miles from the epicenter. Crazy stuff! I'm sure the California folks are laughing at us for even discussing a 4.6 though.

I did enjoy this picture which already hit Facebook, mocking the "destruction" of the quake....

DHogan
10-16-2012, 08:05 PM
It rattled half the building I was in Chelsea Mass. The people in the other wing of the building didn't feel a thing. Strange stuff.

oaks1912
10-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Patrick.... Its a sign that you're getting too many PCL collectors in New England. It throws the tectonic plates out of balance with all those Zeenuts out there... The 4.6 is quite large for New England, especially with all the unreinforced masonry buildings out there, but it barely shakes the martini's out here, unless of course Roseanne Barr is jogging by at the same time...:)

Ladder7
10-16-2012, 08:22 PM
The pistoff ghosts of Fenway have spoken.

frankbmd
10-16-2012, 08:28 PM
We got it all the way down in Boston, about 75+ miles from the epicenter. Crazy stuff! I'm sure the California folks are laughing at us for even discussing a 4.6 though.

I did enjoy this picture which already hit Facebook, mocking the "destruction" of the quake....

Somebody had to do it. Northridge 1994. Did you ever wake up in a collapsed bed 15 miles from the epicenter not knowing if you were still on the second floor? Fortunately no card damage though.

itjclarke
10-17-2012, 01:13 AM
My cards have lived through several small, medium and big in the Bay. Several years ago my local bank was at sea level. I deposited my cards in a safe deposit box for about a day then started having paranoid thoughts about them under water in following a tsunami. They're now in a bank up on a hill.

warrior1978
10-17-2012, 04:22 AM
Living near Bangor, ME; didn't feel a thing, cards still okay

pgellis
10-17-2012, 05:38 AM
My wife and I felt it here on Cape Cod last night. It felt and sounded to me like something hit one of the supports on our deck and my wife thought something tipped over on the 3rd story deck. Kinda like "what was that?"

steve B
10-17-2012, 06:48 AM
It was about the same here in Lowell. (Just a bit south of the NH border) A rumble like big truck outside, not much to be felt.

Steve B

carrigansghost
10-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Well, after getting robbed, Cards were not touched!! I'm back. We can rebuild Maine.

Rawn

barrysloate
10-17-2012, 08:48 AM

Oh, the humanity....!!

P.S.- where's the picture, it didn't attach?

Donscards
10-17-2012, 08:53 AM
I was in my rec room down stairs on the computer---my foundation seemed to be shaking or rumbling for 5 seconds---the portland water company was actually on the street fixing a broken water main---I thought they hit something---I went outside to check as did 3 other neighbors---they said it wasnt them--one worker in a backhow felt it---the guys on the grounds said they didnt feel much----I never felt something like this in Portland, Maine---I cant imagine what it is like in California---it sure was different and kind of scary---anyway my feelings from Maine----Don

Ladder7
10-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Well, after getting robbed, Cards were not touched!! I'm back. We can rebuild Maine.

Rawn

No word from the cops ehh?

Had my car broken into down in Fla a few weeks ago (He got ten of us)Nothing heard back from Canaveral PD... Some people just plain suck

kmac32
10-17-2012, 12:01 PM
4.6 is pretty mild by our California standards. However, I can understand if you have never been in a quake before, it is a little unnerving. I'll take a quake any day compared to the Midwest tornadoes.

caramelcard
10-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Zeenuts have more experience with earthquakes than any other issue.

Glad ur ok.

drc
10-17-2012, 01:28 PM
The 'damage' of earthquakes is mostly based on where they are. There was one in Seattle that cause a lot of financial damage, but that's just because there were a lot of buildings around. If it was in a cornfield, it would have been no biggie.

When I was a kid I was on the 39th floor of a Mexico City earthquake. The caveat is I slept through it and didn't find out about it until the next morning.

yanksfan09
10-17-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm not totally sure but I think I actually felt it a tiny bit last night too, all the way in Suffolk County NY (Long Island). I was sitting, and felt a slight wavy sensation. I can't remember what time it was last night though. I thought at the time it felt a bit like the stronger quake earlier this year that I think started in VA. It was a very light feeling and didn't think too much of it until I heard it on the news this morning and put 2 and 2 together.... (Weird as in 30 years on LI I've never felt one earthquake, now I think this makes 2 this year.

7nohitter
10-17-2012, 03:50 PM
I HEARD it in Marlboro, MA...but didn't feel it

abrahamrudy
10-17-2012, 03:57 PM
definitely felt it here in Boston.