PDA

View Full Version : I would like to thank a fellow collector...

Eric72
10-16-2012, 06:42 PM
I have collected cards for quite a while; however, life intervened and I stepped away from the hobby for a few years. Upon returning recently, I decided to venture into something I had not explored before, pre-war material.

In an effort to pick up a little knowledge, I participated in a discussion on a thread about a fake Joe Jackson. Board members there were kind enough to share with me their knowledge and experience, for which I was grateful. One of the members, though, went a step further to help me get started with my pre-war pursuits...he actually gave me a few cards from his collection.

I would like to take a moment to publicly thank smtjoy for his generosity. For no other reason than to help, he sent to me the cards pictured (or, at least, there should be links to the photos) below. It was a great gesture and a gift that was tremendously appreciated.

Hats off to Scott for such a class move. When the day comes where I am no longer the new guy, I will definitely pay this kindness forward.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b498/EricsPhotographs/Four-on-One_Exhibits_Front_zps38e288bd.jpg

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b498/EricsPhotographs/Carl_Hubbell_Salutation_Exhibit_Front_zps57111c6e. jpg

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b498/EricsPhotographs/The_Sporting_News_Front_zpsdac60f18.jpg

dog*dirt
10-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Welcome. Scott is a class act and an asset to the board.

Brian Van Horn
10-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Welcome back Eric. I have always enjoyed dealing with Scott and think he is a class individual.

Bocabirdman
10-16-2012, 06:54 PM
I have collected cards for quite a while; however, life intervened and I stepped away from the hobby for a few years. Upon returning recently, I decided to venture into something I had not explored before, pre-war material.

In an effort to pick up a little knowledge, I participated in a discussion on a thread about a fake Joe Jackson. Board members there were kind enough to share with me their knowledge and experience, for which I was grateful. One of the members, though, went a step further to help me get started with my pre-war pursuits...he actually gave me a few cards from his collection.

I would like to take a moment to publicly thank smtjoy for his generosity. For no other reason than to help, he sent to me the cards pictured (or, at least, there should be links to the photos) below. It was a great gesture and a gift that was tremendously appreciated.

Hats off to Scott for such a class move. When the day comes where I am no longer the new guy, I will definitely pay this kindness forward.

It is amazing, isn't it?. A tiny scrap of tattered, musty, "lightning bolt" creased cardboard can put such a silly, wide grin on a man's face, the first time he holds it as his own. Welcome to the board and welcome to the world of Pre-war goodness....Jump on in...:D By the way, I am completely jealous of your being able to experience the buzz for the very first time....:)

Eric72
10-16-2012, 07:08 PM
It is amazing, isn't it?. A tiny scrap of tattered, musty, "lightning bolt" creased cardboard can put such a silly, wide grin on a man's face, the first time he holds it as his own. Welcome to the board and welcome to the world of Pre-war goodness....Jump on in...:D By the way, I am completely jealous of your being able to experience the buzz for the very first time....:)
Mike,

You absolutely nailed it. When I opened the envelope and saw those players staring back at me from another era, that silly, wide grin was impossible to supress. What an awesome experience!

Best,

Eric

Leon
10-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Hat's off to Scott for his random act of kindness and to helping the hobby. Good job my friend.

E93
10-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Very cool deed by Scott!
JimB

peterose4hof
10-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Awesome job Scott!

kilo
10-17-2012, 02:17 PM
great RAOK!!!

ethicsprof
10-17-2012, 02:40 PM
thanks for sharing and finding your way home to vintage!
Scott is indeed a prince of a fellow.

all the best,
barry

Rickyy
10-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Welcome back to the hobby..and indeed an nice act..those are some nice cards to get it restarted! :eek:

Ricky Y

Eric72
10-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Thank you all very much for such a warm welcome. I am certain that diving into collecting Baseball Cards once again will be an immensely rewarding experience for me. Along the way, I look forward to having the opportunity to learn from all of you and to add value to conversations on this board when and where I am able.

As for Scott’s random act of kindness, I personally consider it to be a shining example of everything that is right with the hobby. I wholeheartedly agree with your ringing endorsements regarding his character and applaud him once again for fostering the type of goodwill that attracts new collectors, helps to restore faith in those who the “scammers” may have alienated and ensures that the hobby endures for generations to come.

Best Regards,

Eric