PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose/Johnny Bench Autographs

bat_master
10-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Just a quick question regarding early Pete Rose and autographs. Since their autographs aren't all that difficult to acquire (modern versions) I'm wondering if the vintage style signature would have any sort of bump in value.

Does anyone have any opinions as to the value of the 1967 team issued Bench photo, Pete Rose team issued postcard, and Pete Rose signed Warren Giles baseball?

I'm expecting to acquire the pictured items shortly and would like to get a feel for value. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

jgmp123
10-09-2012, 07:35 PM
That Pete photo looks like it was traced..pretty bumpy too....maybe it's just the photo, but it looks pretty rough....

bat_master
10-09-2012, 07:39 PM
There's another Rose postcard in the lot that I'm buying. Same inscription but much smoother.

isaac2004
10-09-2012, 07:46 PM
That Pete photo looks like it was traced..pretty bumpy too....maybe it's just the photo, but it looks pretty rough....

i was thinking the same thing, the first letter looks like my cat tried to trace it

bat_master
10-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Any opinions on rarity or value of the Bench signed photo, Rose signed postcard, or Rose signed Warren Giles baseball that don't involve a cat?

jgmp123
10-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Bat_Master,

I don't really see a great deal of value in these items, versus something signed today, besides if they lack authenticity (worthless - $$).

bat_master
10-10-2012, 11:51 AM
So you're saying all these are forgeries? Is that right?

jgmp123
10-10-2012, 01:18 PM
No. I am saying that I don't believe there is a big difference in value between them being signed today or 25 years ago...

I do believe the Pete Rose photo is a terrible forgery. I can't speak on the ball or Bench photo.

39special
10-10-2012, 05:17 PM
The Rose photo doesn't look right.

MooseDog
10-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Speaking for myself, I'd prefer the Bench in my collection over a sharpie signature on a mass produced photo signed at a show or something. Being a somewhat older dude, I happen to like black and white and ballpoint pen but I also appreciate the vintage-ness of that piece.

So if I were in the market (I'm not) I would be willing to pay slight premium.

Rose is kind of killing his own market. Used to be hard to find a non-forged Rose autograph, but he'll sign just about anything now and for a small fee at that.

I agree with the others that the Rose's are not good.

Wymers Auction
10-10-2012, 11:55 PM
I live in Cincinnati and see lots of these autos and I do not believe that any of them are good. I am not an expert, but I have seen lots of these autos. The P in Rose should be really smooth and not shaky. The Bench does not look like his handwriting at all. The other problem I see is that when someone offers me autos and most of them are bad I just walk away. I do not need to see the rest as I have lost faith in the person already and the comfort level is now gone.

jgmp123
10-11-2012, 06:19 AM
I live in Cincinnati and see lots of these autos and I do not believe that any of them are good. I am not an expert, but I have seen lots of these autos. The P in Rose should be really smooth and not shaky. The Bench does not look like his handwriting at all. The other problem I see is that when someone offers me autos and most of them are bad I just walk away. I do not need to see the rest as I have lost faith in the person already and the comfort level is now gone.

+1

isaac2004
10-11-2012, 08:06 AM
+1

+ infinite

If a guy has one bad item, shame on him for not knowing, more than 1, shame on me for still talking to him.

bat_master
10-11-2012, 09:26 AM
So this Bench auto is a forgery then too?

Wymers Auction
10-11-2012, 10:15 AM

I think this Bench has potential.

Wymers Auction
10-11-2012, 10:16 AM
I think this Bench has potential.

That first Bench is a distant photo and is harder to see.

Wymers Auction
10-11-2012, 10:21 AM
I never claimed to be an expert, but merely offering my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

bat_master
10-11-2012, 10:33 AM
I never claimed to be an expert, but merely offering my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

Hi James,

I appreciate you taking the time to give your thoughts. I just didn't appreciate some of the comments made at the beginning of the thread, but none of them were made by you.

jgmp123
10-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Hi James,

I appreciate you taking the time to give your thoughts. I just didn't appreciate some of the comments made at the beginning of the thread, but none of them were made by you.

Tim,

I apologize if anything I said offended you...I was simply stating my opinion.

JimStinson
10-11-2012, 02:30 PM
For what its worth both appear to be EARLY Bench and EARLY Rose signatures , thats the GOOD news the Bad news is that neither command any kind of $$$

Mr. Zipper
10-11-2012, 03:00 PM
For what its worth both appear to be EARLY Bench and EARLY Rose signatures , thats the GOOD news the Bad news is that neither command any kind of $$$

Kinda surprising there isn't a premium for vintage signatures. From my own experience, I seek earlier signatures of certain players I collect. I prefer them over the later mass-produced styles. It's likely Derek Jeter may sign a million more autographs in his lifetime, but he won't be signing one more rookie style signature. :)

JimStinson
10-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Makes sense to me but would you pay more for a VINTAGE Bob Feller ? Bench and Rose are the same thing