PDA

View Full Version : Stargell Piece

71buc
10-07-2012, 09:47 PM
My recent pick up of the 71 Pirate banner got in me back into picking up Pirate items. I came across this item awhile ago and was intrigued. I have been considering buying it. However, I have never seen another to compare it to. I know there has been some touch up to the face based on the colors. However, I dont know how much, nor do I know if the gold lettering is original. Has anyone ever seen one of these before? I really want to pull the trigger on this item but have reservations. Any help or information would be appreciated.

perezfan
10-08-2012, 09:12 AM
My recent pick up of the 71 Pirate banner got in me back into picking up Pirate items. I came across this item awhile ago and was intrigued. I have been considering buying it. However, I have never seen another to compare it to. I know there has been some touch up to the face based on the colors. However, I dont know how much, nor do I know if the gold lettering is original. Has anyone ever seen one of these before? I really want to pull the trigger on this item but have reservations. Any help or information would be appreciated.

It's the same one as the Bust currently up on ebay. Did the seller just fail to end is listing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pittsburgh-Pirates-Willie-Stargell-Chalk-Bust-Bank-/150626787916?pt=US_Baseball_Fan_Shop&hash=item23120e624c

There is also a matching Clemente Bust, which is obviously more in demand, and typically more expensive. Seems like for every Clemente, there are 5 Stargells or so... Great looking piece!

71buc
10-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the help!

71buc
10-08-2012, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE=perezfan;1042892]It's the same one as the Bust currently up on ebay. Did the seller just fail to end is listing?

No, it's the one I have been watching for a year now. I will likely make an offer based on your assessment and information PMd to me.

Thanks again
Mike

perezfan
10-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Ok- got it... Yes, I have dealt with Mike Lipka for many years. He never "gives his stuff away" but always has some very nice offerings. He is one of the good old-timers in the hobby. Nice pickup, if you decide to pull the triger!

71buc
10-10-2012, 09:18 PM
It sold today after sitting for a year...oh well. I should purchased it long ago.

71buc
11-18-2012, 09:00 PM
I found another one and purchased it. As you can see it is in amazing condition. Now I am hoping that a board member with knowledge of figural pieces can help me out in dating this piece. It came with coins and single dollar bills inside of it. The oldest coin was a nickel dated 1946 and the oldest bill was a single dated 1963. The remainder of the money was dated between 1966-1971. Based on this, coupled with the uniform style, I would assume that 1971 would be the production date? On the back the artist's name Ivo Zini. I think the rarity can be attributed to the fact that the only way to remove the money was with a long pair of tweezers or a hammer as the open sign on the back is molded into the bank and does not separate from the bank. I imagine most kids opted for the hammer.

Zini also produced this bust of Clemente in 1988 http://www.huntauctions.com/phone/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=89&lot_num=559 However, although similar in style it is a solid piece and not a bank. I think this may be the Clemente bust referred to earlier in this post? If there was a Clemente bank produced and someone has a picture of it can you please post it to confirm it exists for me? If it does, I have a new mission. Additionally Zini produced statues for the Sports Hall of Fame Museum & the Theater at Three Rivers Stadium. He died in 2008.