PDA

View Full Version : collectibility of cut-up 4-on-1's?

kilo
10-07-2012, 10:29 AM
recently came across a really nice W. Dickey that was cleanly cut from a 31-32 4-on-1 exhibit. curious as to the opinions on collecting the individual cuts from these 4-on-1 cards. like? dislike? to pursue or not? and does any of the grading services authenticate the individual cuts?

--mike.

rdixon1208
10-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Collect what you like. I don't know much about the 4-1's, but I know some people collect T202 end panels. I don't have any, but I think they're cool.

daves_resale_shop
10-07-2012, 10:52 AM
I love the cut up cards... with the exception of the reverse on the 35 goudeys, I think the T202 end panels have appeal as good as the t205's the 4in 1 exhibits also bring an excellent display with them!!! and lets not forget about the 1941 doubleplays...

despite the true collector stating that there is not much value to these "butchered" cards, the big name hofers seem to grab quite a bit of attention when listed on ebay... Just yesterday a separated 3 card panel of Evers and Chane went for $51! pretty sure that you could get that one intact for 90-120...

I agree with the previous post collect what you enjoy and like!

glchen
10-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Beckett will authenticate as A only I believe. I don't think psa or sgc will grade. Very affordable to collect but not much resell value if you change your focus in the future.

drc
10-07-2012, 12:09 PM
You can collect whatever you want. Their market value and hobby 'acceptability' are secondary issues.

I don't see anything wrong with collecting them. I assume you won't be cutting down whole cards to fill your need. Duly note that T202 panels and Allen & Ginters cut from albums are bought and sold in the hobby.

Leon
10-08-2012, 05:17 PM
As long as you know what you are buying then it's all good. As everyone says, collect what you want to. Collecting these cut outs can be done on a budget too.

HercDriver
10-08-2012, 05:46 PM
I also like cards like that, especially T202s! As a matter of fact, I have a few T202s that are actually three separate panels, acquired at different times, but now living together as a "complete" card. Who knows, maybe they were together at one time. Other than the Cobb (which goes for about $100), you can get most of the other panels for under $10 - great way to build a set if you aren't picky!

If the cards make you happy, then no need to ask the question!

Take Care,
Geno

dabigyankeeman
10-08-2012, 08:15 PM
I have a Leo Durocher cut from one of them. I bought it because i wanted a card of him showing him as a Yankee.

It wasnt expensive, and i knew what i was buying, so for me all is fine.

dougscats
10-09-2012, 12:07 PM
For a hall-of-fame collector on a budget, cut out cards can be great. You can get a genuine, classic Cobb for $60 [I'm thinking of the Conlon icon of Cobb sliding into third, as in the T202 middle panel].

I have a collection of T202 middle panels that I love [Was Conlon the main photographer? I wonder; and the text on the back is simply great], needing only four to complete the set of 78. I could buy the whole card and break it up to complete the set, but I don't think that would be right, somehow; it's just not in the spirit of the collection, so I won't.

Most of what I have I've bought over the last ten years, and these cut-outs are one of the last kind of things you can still buy cheaply, occasionly, on ebay. So you can sell them cheaply, too.

When I sold a bunch of 1935 Goudey cut-ups to Dave, the ones with the jigsaw-puzzle backs, I realized that the puzzle became exponentially harder to do, with four times the number of pieces. Those were dark days, deep in the Depression, not much entertainment money, then; it makes you wonder.

So, if you enjoy authentic cards at a bargain, cut-outs can be great.