PDA

View Full Version : Please help identify 2 autographs on vintage A.L. Baseball

cceiv
10-07-2012, 08:42 AM
I have been trying for hours to figure out what these two signatures are on this vintage (late 50s or early 60s) American League ball, but to no avail.

It was part of a Yankees collection, so I figured they were Yankees signatures, but that may not be the case. Someone said Joe Gaines, but the signature does not match. The other looks kind of like a Pete or even Clete, but it's definitely not Clete Boyer. Any advice or leads would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

earlywynnfan
10-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Looks like "Pete" Ramos, although recently I've only seen him sign "Pedro."

Don't know the bottom.

Ken

cceiv
10-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the help with this! Wow, I believe you are correct. I did a google images search for "Pedro Ramos autograph" and his "P" his "R" and the way he ends his signature all look identical. The thing that is boggling me though is why would he sign it as "Pete" at that time (I'm thinking this must have been at a Yankees game in 1964ish). I can't find any example of him signing it as "Pete Ramos" anywhere. I wonder if this makes it a rarity?

JimStinson
10-07-2012, 08:47 PM
First one is definately Cuban born PEDRO RAMOS , his signature is common in both variations

JimStinson
10-07-2012, 08:56 PM
The second one could be a hurried Joe Gibbon, they were team mates on the Pirates in 1969

mschwade
10-08-2012, 10:31 AM
The second one could be a hurried Joe Gibbon, they were team mates on the Pirates in 1969

Possibly a rushed Jim "Mudcat" Grant (Teammates in Cleveland in 1962)

mschwade
10-08-2012, 10:38 AM

I do like the J compared to Joe Gibbon, but that signed last name is not doing anything for me.