PDA

View Full Version : Yankee trunk

Forever Young
10-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Hey guys,

I was going to bid on this but asked a collecting buddy as well as did some research and I am thinking it is a prop/fake. Any thoughts? I really want one of these... so cool!

listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320994142517&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

The one below I believe to be authentic as it is the same as a fellow collector's..

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=yankee+trunk&start=72&um=1&hl=en&rlz=1W1RNQN_enUS464&biw=1366&bih=617&tbm=isch&tbnid=cArhco7IFZgLKM:&imgrefurl=http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2007/1278.html&docid=nOOh6cmthjNzlM&imgurl=http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/images_items/Item_9438_1.jpg&w=500&h=380&ei=a7NvUJu3JaOy2wW6iYG4Dw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=551&vpy=60&dur=1243&hovh=196&hovw=258&tx=131&ty=127&sig=109854643239941287581&page=4&tbnh=131&tbnw=176&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:72,i:40

Differences: locks, handles, how it was put together, stenciling, inside of this one is wood. My friends is metal. Paint looks goo though.. too good:) Could it be possble that this one is real too? I lean to no... I am in the market so am looking for an expert's advise on this. Anyone...?

71buc
10-06-2012, 11:06 AM
I saw that this morning as well. The placement of the #7 seems way too convenient to me.

Forever Young
10-06-2012, 11:08 AM
i saw that this morning as well. The placement of the #7 seems way too convenient to me.

agreed.

bat_master
10-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Stay far away.

yanks12025
10-06-2012, 12:48 PM
That seller does nothing but sell fake items.

Forever Young
10-06-2012, 02:18 PM
That seller does nothing but sell fake items.

It always amazes me what lengths people take to screw people; fake signatures, fake stamps on photos, doctoring an old trunks... If these people would channel their creativity for something good, maybe they would get laid.

HRBAKER
10-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Some folks are just allergic to an honest days work.
They seem to congregate around the fringes and in the middle of our hobby.

Forever Young
10-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Some folks are just allergic to an honest days work.
They seem to congregate around the fringes and in the middle of our hobby.

They prey on "dreamers" and emotion. It is a perfect venue.

steve B
10-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Are there any stills online for that movie? It could be a prop, and a look at the stills would rule that in or out pretty quickly.

Wierd bunch of stuff he's sold. All the baseball equipment looks like repros, but the other stuff looks ok, maybe overpriced but ok. I was thinking prop because of the 7s and because the paint job seems like way more work than the marker under the bill of the pirates hat.

Steve B

Runscott
10-06-2012, 03:38 PM
It always amazes me what lengths people take to screw people; fake signatures, fake stamps on photos, doctoring an old trunks... If these people would channel their creativity for something good, maybe they would get laid.

It sucks, but it's rampant in the hobby. Some day you will be able to get one of those trunks tucked snugly into a giant PSA piece of plastic, and then you will know for sure that it's real.

Runscott
10-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Are there any stills online for that movie? It could be a prop, and a look at the stills would rule that in or out pretty quickly.

Steve, that piece looks like it would be cake to create a forgery - why waste extra money buying a more expensive prop?

Forever Young
10-06-2012, 03:45 PM
It sucks, but it's rampant in the hobby. Some day you will be able to get one of those trunks tucked snugly into a giant PSA piece of plastic, and then you will know for sure that it's real.

Ohh runscott... always thinking by way of extremes. I am not looking for a psa slabbed trunk. When knowing what to look for, it is easy to spot by good pictures. You are one silly goose you:)

steve B
10-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Steve, that piece looks like it would be cake to create a forgery - why waste extra money buying a more expensive prop?

True, once you know what to make it isn't hard. It does seem to be a bit more involved than his other baseball stuff which all seems to be repro hats misdescribed. For example I'd never have thought they would have those big stripes. If an original wasn't shown I'd have had to look it up. That seems like more research than his other stuff.

Movie props are a different sort of fake, and do turn up in odd places sometimes.

Even assuming he faked it from the movie it would be interesting to see how close he got.

I do think that sold as a reproduction maybe with a glass coffee table top added it would maybe get $500 or more in NYC or nearby as a decorative item. (I saw an interior decorating show that described a bookshelf someone had a decorator do. 2 Shelf strips 6 small brackets 3 cheap white shelves, maybe 20 books covered with brown bag paper. Maybe $75 in stuff? Price ?.........$3K:eek:)

Steve B