PDA

View Full Version : Really? Fake Ruth

Leon
10-05-2012, 02:26 PM
This is not the way to endear yourself to our community!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-goudey-babe-ruth-/200828714337?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2ec252fd61

Robextend
10-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Ouch

Jason
10-05-2012, 02:30 PM
99 times out of a hundred that broken English is a dead giveaway.

rainier2004
This is not the way to endear yourself to our community!!

No it is not.

I think I see the sheriff coming :eek:

Bocabirdman
Did this posting go up on the Bay AFTER the boardmembers identified it as bogus?:eek:

Rickyy
10-05-2012, 02:31 PM
that was quick... -_-

Ricky Y

Leon
10-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Did this posting go up on the Bay AFTER the boardmembers identified it as bogus?:eek:

Yes, it's only been up an hour and fourteen minutes.

Jason- I am sure you saw the other thread with the seller being taken aback that it's not real?

JeremyW
Pathetic.

Tcards-Please
Way to go Leon. You can't make this stuff up. I would like to hear an explanation on this one.

r/
Frank

Jlighter
He's also selling the Aaron Rookie.

Not only does he have the same name for both eBay and Net54, he also charges over 11 dollars for shipping.

rainier2004

Yes by about 2 hours, 13 posts and 6 different members, including Leon, questioned it authenticity.

Leon
10-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Way to go Leon. You can't make this stuff up. I would like to hear an explanation on this one.

r/
Frank

I think it's going to go something like this-

"Well, I got ripped off so now I am trying to rip someone else off"

Bocabirdman
10-05-2012, 02:34 PM

r/
Frank

Guess he figured, "I got screwed so I'll just pass the screw foreward."..:eek:

rainier2004
10-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Man you guys post quick!

Bocabirdman
10-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Man you guys post quick!

The eBay Police Never Sleep:D

barrysloate
10-05-2012, 02:39 PM
That's really bad news. I take back my welcome.:(

Wite3
10-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Total scumbag move...add another to my "do not trust" list. Sigh.

CobbSpikedMe
10-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Wow. Ballsy move there. This actually made me laugh and then I realized it's not really a funny thing he is doing. Sad.

cubsfan-budman
10-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Incredible!

Please ask questions, I am not a professional grader, so i take no responsiblity of its condition.
No returns.

gnaz01
10-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Not good to start off with Net54 like this :mad:

Bocabirdman
10-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Do you guys think he put it on the Bay because it was identified here as bogus and as I said in an earlier post, he was paying the screw forward or even worse, the whole "Hello board, here's what I collect" introduction was an attempt to gain a captive audience to buy his bogus cards?:eek:

sportscardpete
10-05-2012, 03:02 PM
In his defense he does have a really nice CSA Johnny Evers. :rolleyes:

shammus
10-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Mike, solid question...was kind of thinking that myself. Or maybe his hope was to drum up interest and get an offer here.

Either way, I'm sure that after a few of us write in, the auction will be ended in quick enough order.

T206Collector
10-05-2012, 03:06 PM
"what i am collecting" is fake garbage and a bad reputation.

:mad:

Bocabirdman
10-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Mike, solid question...was kind of thinking that myself. Or maybe his hope was to drum up interest and get an offer here.

Either way, I'm sure that after a few of us write in, the auction will be ended in quick enough order.

I edited my original to say what I meant to type. The offers were what I was alluding to.:)

Bocabirdman
10-05-2012, 03:12 PM

Pete...He has it up for sale over on the Tobacco BST....quick make him an offer:D:eek:

Batter67up
10-05-2012, 03:14 PM
When I first read his post this morning I felt there was more to come. Look at his response to his card being fake below. He then seems like an expert and says it looks legit in person:rolleyes:. He wanted people to say it was real with him on this board so he could tell people on ebay to come over to Net54Baseball to see how it was a legit card.:p It is truly funny how the majority of people selling fake cards take really bad pictures and spell really bad. I bet he will be posting a 52 Topps Mantle for sale soon on ebay.

They are totally legit, in person you can tell they are real. I know i dont take real good pics, but they are the real thing, as all my cards are.
I just never got them graded, as i think they hold better value not doing so. The Goudey Ruth, probably only be a 1-poor, so i anot worried on it.
If anyone was interested, they be for sell. I just been collecting Mantles for now. Just happened to pick up some nice cards along my travels.

Leon
10-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Pete...He has it up for sale over on the Tobacco BST....quick make him an offer:D:eek:

And I just put a nice response in that thread to warn folks. I would have deleted it but I think it's better to leave it..as a warning to others.

Edwolf1963
10-05-2012, 03:18 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/300747340671

That he got for $345 a few months ago. He was asking on the B/S/T Tobacco section why it wasn't getting any interest back on eBay offered at $4000 bcse other "8's" had gone for that :confused: OK, so, you wandered on to eBay and got the steal of the century, that somehow eluded everyone else that day .. and you got it for less than 10% of current market value? ;) .. bcse you assumed CSA8 = PSA8..??

I think you're right about pass the screw. Good luck on the re-list BIN @ $750

bn2cardz
10-05-2012, 03:23 PM
He had a chipper Jones rookie for sale with a starting bid of $1000 and BIN of $5000.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/chipper-jones-ROOKIE-basball-card-/200821030060?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2ec1ddbcac&nma=true&si=ILren%2BlCiPCL1Ih%2Fv2FU6RX9iM8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Vintagecatcher
10-05-2012, 03:28 PM
When I read the other thread my first thought was someone is testing the waters. Not the first time...not the last.

Patrick

pawpawdiv9
10-05-2012, 03:39 PM
k

Bocabirdman
10-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Like i said, i truely belive these are real here. I accept your opinions.
In person, it looks like it is just rough corners. Looks real to me. I bought these from another collector, so i believe it is authentic.
yes, i could take these and get them graded, but i had issues sending stuff and get lost. Perhaps that is what i do then.
Lesson learned, is to buy only graded cards and only from SGC,BVG,PSA.

So you find out from a knowledgable group of collectors that the Ruth is not real and you run off and list on feeBay?

barrysloate
10-05-2012, 03:42 PM
You are free to believe they are real....but you would be wrong.

pawpawdiv9
10-05-2012, 03:43 PM
He had a chipper Jones rookie for sale with a starting bid of $1000 and BIN of $5000.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/chipper-jones-ROOKIE-basball-card-/200821030060?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2ec1ddbcac&nma=true&si=ILren%2BlCiPCL1Ih%2Fv2FU6RX9iM8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That was a dare, on Beckett, since everyone had one it seem.

gnaz01
10-05-2012, 03:44 PM
That was a dare, on Beckett, since everyone had one it seem.

And how did that "dare" work out for you?? :D

t206hound
10-05-2012, 03:54 PM
This is just unbelievable to me.

Jason
10-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Yes, it's only been up an hour and fourteen minutes.

Jason- I am sure you saw the other thread with the seller being taken aback that it's not real?

I did Leon.Thats were I was reading his posts and was apprehensive before ever seeing scans.Great job as always spotting the rouse everyone.

nsaddict
10-05-2012, 03:57 PM
How much did you pay for Ruth and Aaron? Sorry to say but you have a better chance at winning Powerball than those 2 being legit. And for the record, most don't consider CSA a reputable grading company. If you can break even on Evers consider yourself fortunate. Just chalk it up as a lesson learned and the moral thing would be to remove the 2 non-steroid all-time homerun leaders :)

pawpawdiv9
10-05-2012, 04:08 PM
i came here to look for cards of interest and wanted to show off my stuff. I did not come to have my collection analyzed and picked to death. No one on beckett ever did anyone this way, we always enjoyed looking at stuff. I did not like getting ridiculed on my grammar either. I simply came here and to see the cards here i may like and enjoy what everyone else collects.

CobbSpikedMe
10-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Like i said, i truely belive these are real here. I accept your opinions.
In person, it looks like it is just rough corners. Looks real to me. I bought these from another collector, so i believe it is authentic.
yes, i could take these and get them graded, but i had issues sending stuff and get lost. Perhaps that is what i do then.
Lesson learned, is to buy only graded cards and only from SGC,BVG,PSA.

If you think they are real and you had them posted in your "Keepers for your Mancave" section of photobucket then why would you immediately want to dump them on eBay right after you found out everyone here thinks they are fake? Wouldn't you still want to keep them in your Mancave if they were real?

AndyH

pawpawdiv9
10-05-2012, 04:10 PM
How much did you pay for Ruth and Aaron? Sorry to say but you have a better chance at winning Powerball than those 2 being legit. And for the record, most don't consider CSA a reputable grading company. If you can break even on Evers consider yourself fortunate. Just chalk it up as a lesson learned and the moral thing would be to remove the 2 non-steroid all-time homerun leaders :)

Ok, i can do this, as it seems like the legit way is to grade them and be for sure.

Bocabirdman
10-05-2012, 04:36 PM
i came here to look for cards of interest and wanted to show off my stuff. I did not come to have my collection analyzed and picked to death. No one on beckett ever did anyone this way, we always enjoyed looking at stuff. I did not like getting ridiculed on my grammar either. I simply came here and to see the cards here i may like and enjoy what everyone else collects.

You, also, in one of your ealiest posts said that they would be for "Sell". Once you opened that door, the bogus cards needed to be identified for all as some of the board members are less experienced in such things. We try and look out for each other here. If you made the same offer on Beckett and nothing was said, I am not sure what that says about THAT community.

If you never offered the possibility of them being for sale, I anm sure someone would have PM-ed you to quietly break the news. By the way, what is your response as to why you eBayed the Ruth immediately after learning it was fake (with "real" Ruth pricing/opening bid)?:eek:

shammus
10-05-2012, 04:58 PM

You asked us questions about the Ruth and Aaron. The Evers too actually. We responded with our honest opinions about the authenticity of your cards. This community is close-knit and many individuals here have been collecting for years, if not decades. It's fair to say, the opinions we gave you were educated and we tried to explain to you why we thought your cards were not legit.

So after hearing our opinions, you turned around and placed them on Ebay to sell, making no mention of the fact that the cards are reprints. That, sir, is not honest behavior and rubbed more than a few people here the wrong way. Sorry you feel your collection was "picked to death" but since you are trying to sell these cards, we have the right to communicate the truth to any potential unsuspecting buyers.

If you truly feel the cards are legit, send them in to be graded at a reputable grading company (SGC, PSA, etc..). Send them Registered USPS so that way there's no way they get lost in the mail. That way, you'll know for certain what you have and you won't be cheating anyone out of potentially, hundreds of dollars.

novakjr
10-05-2012, 06:46 PM
pawpaw. I honestly wanna give you the benefit of the doubt. But I can't. I'm sorry, this move today is total b*llsh*t......There's no rational conversation that can be had, or excuses that can be given. It's f*ck*ng B*llsh*t...

Now you may not have been here long enough to understand the amount of knowledge on this board, or you may not like the opinion. But trust me, if something is outed here as fake by multiple members with reasons given, then I can guarantee you it's fake. You may have accidentally gotten ripped off, but what you just did, may actually be far worse..

wolf441
10-05-2012, 06:52 PM
pawpaw. I honestly wanna give you the benefit of the doubt. But I can't. I'm sorry, this move today is total b*llsh*t......There's no rational conversation that can be had, or excuses that can be given. It's f*ck*ng B*llsh*t...

Now you may not have been here long enough to understand the amount of knowledge on this board, or you may not like the opinion. But trust me, if something is outed here as fake by multiple members with reasons given, then I can guarantee you it's fake. You may have accidentally gotten ripped off, but what you just did, may actually be far worse..

+1. Do you have any T206 Old Mill double overprint backs??

bender07
10-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Wasn't there a recent post lamenting past members. Well, it appears Peter Chao's back!

novakjr
10-05-2012, 07:05 PM
+1. Do you have any T206 Old Mill double overprint backs??

Wow, that one went way over my head. Thank God for the search function...

Tsaiko
10-05-2012, 08:27 PM
I did not like getting ridiculed on my grammar either.

Din dont mess wit da board, boy.

Ladder7
10-06-2012, 03:03 AM
Thanks for stopping by!

http:// http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-V1F1MjAKAPM/UAan3il5UBI/AAAAAAAACNw/zmeDt0qU3F4/s1600/li-wei-unphotoshopped-photoshops-kicking-off-man-over-the-ledge-roof-top.jpg

Wite3
10-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Claims a dealer took them back as authentic. Would love to know that dealer's name to avoid as well.

novakjr
10-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Wow dude! What book are you looking in? :eek: BV $1200 c'mon man.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/larry-bird-1981-82-Topps-4-3-card-lot-BV-1200-/200828784481?pt=US_Basketball&hash=item2ec2540f61

Love the fine print in your listing... What a spinster!!! The more I look at this dude's listings....I won't even say it....:eek::eek: Can we just send him on his merry way. I don't even wanna know what this dude has up his sleeve next..

Seriously pawpaw. You couldn't have been serious when you put this listing up? What in God's name were you trying to accomplish?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/chipper-jones-ROOKIE-basball-card-/200821030060?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2ec1ddbcac&nma=true&si=%2BEa8%2Fh89D%2B0eKF2MchIh%2FOJkIyg%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

rainier2004
10-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Funny sh!t....hopefully pawpaw moves on.

Thanks for stopping by!

http:// http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-V1F1MjAKAPM/UAan3il5UBI/AAAAAAAACNw/zmeDt0qU3F4/s1600/li-wei-unphotoshopped-photoshops-kicking-off-man-over-the-ledge-roof-top.jpg

travrosty
10-06-2012, 12:14 PM
99 times out of a hundred that broken English is a dead giveaway.

no its, not,

iwantitiwinit
10-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Here's the CSA Evers he asked about on the BST. 4k book value. Check out some of the descriptive narrative he put on the listing. What a joke...."professionally graded by CSA, a reputable grading company." http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206-Johnny-Evers-w-bat-chicago-on-shirt-Piedmont-CSA8-BV-4-000/200828710967?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=010&category=213&cmd=ViewItem

pawpawdiv9
10-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Here's the CSA Evers he asked about on the BST. 8k book value. Check out some of the descriptive narrative he put on the listing. What a joke...."professionally graded by CSA, a reputable grading company." http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206-Johnny-Evers-w-bat-chicago-on-shirt-Piedmont-CSA8-BV-4-000/200828710967?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=010&category=213&cmd=ViewItem

http://www.csagrading.com/grading_experts.php
Card Grading Experts

Our 15 member team comprises of some of the industry's former leading grading experts from major grading companies. We hand picked an allstar team of graders in order to bring you the customer the best value, speed and an unrivaled service level. CSA is a Canadian owned and operated card grading company. Its main office is located in Courtenay, British Columbia since 2009 providing Canadians with quality service at reasonable prices.
CSA has grown each year since its inception in both personnel and number of cards encapsulated. CSA customers have come to trust their grading accuracy and consistency which matches any of its competitors. We are the only grading company that offers an UNLIMITED Card grading service.
CSA uses a 10-point certification process that includes checking centering, corners, cut, colour, borders, enamel, focus, picture quality, registration and micro imperfections. Cards are measured, checked under magnification and special lighting. You can feel confident when buying or selling your CSA card that it has been properly and professionally graded.
CSA sonically seals all its graded cards in a scratch resistant, optical quality, UV protected holder. These top of the line holders are visually appealing and very protective of all forms of card stock sealed inside them.
Hockey is a specialty at CSA whether it's a 1952 Gordie Howe or a 2005 Sidney Crosby rookie card. We will grade all your cards no matter what the sport. If it's non-sports cards you collect we do those too! CSA has services tailored to your needs. We have numerous levels of service, which include speedy service rate for those items you need graded in a hurry and quantity discounts for large number of cards as well as our regular and commons' service. CSA in keeping with today's changing style of cards and has a special memorabilia holder, which is able to fit the thickest jersey, patch or stick cards on the market today.
CSA is Canada's #1 grading company with clients in every province. We not only service Canada but we also have many US customers that show great confidence in CSA's ability to grade their sports cards. CSA is looking to expand into other markets globally

novakjr
10-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Again, I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt, but I just can't see you as being that naive...

Let's take a look at the definitions of a few words...

Adj. 1. reputable - having a good reputation

Noun 1. reputation - the opinion which OTHER PEOPLE in general have about a person etc, a persons's abilities etc

Noun 1. scammer - a person who swindles you by means of deception or fraud

Noun 1. assclown - One, who, through the fault of his parents conception, is a skid mark in society's collective underwear.

Bocabirdman
10-06-2012, 02:37 PM
http://www.csagrading.com/grading_experts.php
Card Grading Experts

Our 15 member team comprises of some of the industry's former leading grading experts from major grading companies. We hand picked an allstar team of graders in order to bring you the customer the best value, speed and an unrivaled service level. CSA is a Canadian owned and operated card grading company. Its main office is located in Courtenay, British Columbia since 2009 providing Canadians with quality service at reasonable prices.
CSA has grown each year since its inception in both personnel and number of cards encapsulated. CSA customers have come to trust their grading accuracy and consistency which matches any of its competitors. We are the only grading company that offers an UNLIMITED Card grading service.
CSA uses a 10-point certification process that includes checking centering, corners, cut, colour, borders, enamel, focus, picture quality, registration and micro imperfections. Cards are measured, checked under magnification and special lighting. You can feel confident when buying or selling your CSA card that it has been properly and professionally graded.
CSA sonically seals all its graded cards in a scratch resistant, optical quality, UV protected holder. These top of the line holders are visually appealing and very protective of all forms of card stock sealed inside them.
Hockey is a specialty at CSA whether it's a 1952 Gordie Howe or a 2005 Sidney Crosby rookie card. We will grade all your cards no matter what the sport. If it's non-sports cards you collect we do those too! CSA has services tailored to your needs. We have numerous levels of service, which include speedy service rate for those items you need graded in a hurry and quantity discounts for large number of cards as well as our regular and commons' service. CSA in keeping with today's changing style of cards and has a special memorabilia holder, which is able to fit the thickest jersey, patch or stick cards on the market today.
CSA is Canada's #1 grading company with clients in every province. We not only service Canada but we also have many US customers that show great confidence in CSA's ability to grade their sports cards. CSA is looking to expand into other markets globally What they say in their self-promotion literature means nothing. The card is TRIMMED!!!!!. You were told that in no uncertain terms by more than one member here. You were correctly informed that the Ruth was as fake as a porn star's tits and your reaction was to go list it on eBay as if it was the real deal. Sir, I do not know if you are simply ashamed that you got taken on not one but multiple high dollar cards or if you knew from jump street that they are altered/fake. Giving you the benefit of doubt (at this point a difficult thing to do), your actions are ugly. I will shut up now.

vintagerookies51
10-06-2012, 02:52 PM
When I was an inexperienced collector, I was dumb and bought a 1933 Ruth that I thought was real too, and I believed the seller who said it was. I was told by numerous people on this board (or another board, I can't remember) that it was a fake. I accepted their advice, though. Instead of listing it on eBay as original like you did, I kept it and marked it down as a lesson learned in this hobby. Since I was in this position, I think the reason is clearly that you got ripped off by someone, and now want the money back by ripping someone else off, which is fraud, so don't say you're just an inexperienced collector.

nsaddict
10-06-2012, 03:00 PM
The pro's at CSA...."cards are measured" with what a quarter inch variance either way? And who are these
hand picked experts from other reputable grading companies?
Please check out this ebay auction #320989444700. This seller had a couple more with the same fate.

iwantitiwinit
10-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Let me be clear you have every right to sell a CSA graded card. It is my opinion however, that trying to elevate the reputation of CSA in an effort to increase the eventual selling price of a card after it has been made clear on this forum that their standards and history of authenticating cards is highly questionable is wrong. I especially find it distasteful after posting the card on BST.

Bocabirdman
10-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Let me be clear you have every right to sell a CSA graded card. It is my opinion however, that trying to elevate the reputation of CSA in an effort to increase the eventual selling price of a card after it has been made clear on this forum that their standards and history of authenticating cards is highly questionable is wrong. I especially find it distasteful after posting the card on BST.

When you add in the Babe Ruth being listed on the Bay after it was identified as bogus, there can be no denying a lack of scruples. I only hope that he gets no takers on this trimmed CSA slab.:eek:

buymycards
10-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Mike, first I find out about Santa Claus and the Easter bunny and now you are telling me that porn stars tits aren't real? My dreams are crushed! That does it. No more porn for me!

Rick

Bocabirdman
10-07-2012, 01:05 PM
:D ...or so I am told...

Bocabirdman
10-12-2012, 04:13 AM
Gotta give him credit. He's not afraid to put a price on his listings:Dhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-topps-12-card-LOT-/200828784289?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2ec2540ea1

Sean1125
10-12-2012, 05:11 AM
Let him get what he wants, supply will never meet his demand.

Ban him and move on IMO

Sean