PDA

View Full Version : OT: Great season, and goodbye to a couple of the greats..

novakjr
10-04-2012, 02:30 PM
What were your favorite or most memorable moments about this season?

Miggy's Triple Crown!!! 3 Perfect Games!!! 7 total no-hitters!!! Hamilton's 4 home run game!!! Aaron Hill's 2 cycles in 11 days!!! The A's(coinciding with Moneyball)!!! Mike Trout's insane rookie year!!! Adam Dunn tying the record for most opening day home runs!!! Alex Rodriguez tying Gehrig for most career Grand Slams!!! Jim Thome breaking the record for most career walk off home runs!!! Jamie Moyer becomes the oldest pitcher to win a game!!! Doug Fister striking out 9 consecutive batters!!! Plus Chipper Jones and Omar Vizquel both going out with singles in their final regular season at bats..

Honestly, a regular season doesn't get any more exciting than this.(give or take a few PED suspensions and the mess in Boston) .I can't wait to see what the playoffs have in store for us...

Now back to the A's and Moneyball. Let's keep in mind that when the Red Sox won the world series in 2004, that a movie was being made about the team. What are the odd's that the baseball God's will bring similar luck to the A's to coincide with the first full season after the release of Moneyball?

packs
10-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Boy, it must be tough to be a Texas Ranger. Beat in the Series twice in a row and then upset by the A's with a 13 game lead.

TonyH
10-04-2012, 04:52 PM
For me....The Orioles keeping me glued to the T.V. for the entire season! It's been a long time since that's happened.

novakjr
10-04-2012, 05:27 PM
For me....The Orioles keeping me glued to the T.V. for the entire season! It's been a long time since that's happened.

Almost forgot about them too. Gotta love an underdog... and the Nats...

almostdone
10-04-2012, 05:51 PM
For me, 9 teams to chear for and one to root against. Not saying who but let's hope they get knocked out quickly and I can enjoy the rest of the post season. Go Nats, Cards, Braves, Giants, Reds, O's, Rangers, A's or even the Tigers!!
Drew

z28jd
10-04-2012, 08:10 PM
For me, 9 teams to chear for and one to root against. Not saying who but let's hope they get knocked out quickly and I can enjoy the rest of the post season. Go Nats, Cards, Braves, Giants, Reds, O's, Rangers, A's or even the Tigers!!
Drew

So very true, hard to enjoy the postseason until one of the ten teams is eliminated. Not sure who I want to win but wouldn't mind seeing a Nats/O's WS. As long as one of the nine teams you mentioned wins, it is fine by me. I like seeing teams win the WS, not buy it.

One thing about Omar Vizquel. He didn't play much shortstop since coming back to the AL in 2009(55 games total), but it is amazing that he didn't make one error at the position in any of the last four years! You would think one would get away from a guy in his 40's that whole time just from rustiness but nope. Finished with a .985 fielding percentage, listed 2nd on baseball-reference just under half a point behind Troy Tulowitzki, but Vizquez has over 8000 more chances at shortstop so I don't think Tulo should really be rated there just yet.

deebro041
10-04-2012, 08:33 PM
There could possibly be another great retire, Darren Oliver. The Jays have an option for 2013 but who knows. Darren had a superb season this year and i would love to see him back as a Jay.

t206blogcom
10-04-2012, 08:40 PM
The Nats winning 96 games and the NL East is huge for this team and for Washington, DC metro (where I live). What a major turnaround! Surprised no mention of Bryce Harper?! Here's hoping to see the Nats go all the way. :)

gman
10-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Another highly probably retirement is the highly quotable and entertaining Lance Berkman. He truly was one of the good guys in the game.

There are some of us here in Houston that hopes he recovers well from his latest knee surgery and considers being the DH for the Astros next year. Not only could the Astros use his bat, but more importantly, their very young club house could use his presence as one who has been there and done that and has been to two world series.

packs
10-04-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm very happy to have Mo coming back next year but what a class it would have been to see Chipper, Omar, and Mo go in together. Any word on Thome? Does he expect to play next year? If he retires too, I wonder what the record is for first ballot HOFers in the same year since the retirement years requirement.

tbob
10-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Boy, it must be tough to be a Texas Ranger. Beat in the Series twice in a row and then upset by the A's with a 13 game lead.

Ugh, try being a Minnesota Twins fan. At least the other cellar dwellers (99 losses last year, 96 this year) have hope, even the rebuilding Stros and the Cubbies, but things are bleak for the Twins whose best players (not including Mauer) are still in A ball.

DaveW
10-04-2012, 10:06 PM
A Bay Bridge World Series? A's and Giants! The last time that happened, we had a major earthquake here so I'm not sure I'm rooting for that. The A's were a great story here. Buster Posey for MVP? It's a great year to live in the SF area.

packs
10-04-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm hoping its Yanks against the Giants. I'd give anything to be at AT & T for one of those games.

Jantz
10-04-2012, 10:40 PM
David

I agree, it was a great season.

Not sure about the movie-team scenario.

I remember a couple movies called Major League & Major League 2 and they did nothing for the Indians. ;)

Jantz

itjclarke
10-04-2012, 10:44 PM
A Bay Bridge World Series? A's and Giants! The last time that happened, we had a major earthquake here so I'm not sure I'm rooting for that. The A's were a great story here. Buster Posey for MVP? It's a great year to live in the SF area.

+1.. and with Posey a true MVP candidate (Kevin Mitchell) and a 4-1 Niners squad, it really is 1989 all over again.. hopefully minus that quake. I just got my tix to game 1 on Saturday and if it's half as electric as NLDS game 1 in 2010 when Timmy had 15 K's, it'll be the best money I've spent this year. Go Giants!!.. but like the previous poster said, it's really tough to not root for any of these other teams (A's, O's, Nats, Braves and Chipper, etc).

ValKehl
10-04-2012, 10:48 PM
The WASHINGTON NATIONALS!! 98 - 64, the BEST record in MLB!! Nats win the World Series in 7 games over the Yankees!! (Yeah, I'm counting my chickens before they hatch!).
Val

Deertick
10-05-2012, 03:36 PM
There are some of us here in Houston that hopes he recovers well from his latest knee surgery and considers being the DH for the Astros next year.

Did I miss a major announcement? Are the Astros moving to the AL? Or is the NL adopting the DH? :D

I'd love to see the O's / Nats.

z28jd
10-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Did I miss a major announcement? Are the Astros moving to the AL? Or is the NL adopting the DH? :D

Not sure if you're serious but just in case...Astros are moving to the AL and it was kind of a major announcement. Will cause inter-league games all throughout the year next season

7nohitter
10-06-2012, 05:52 AM
Stan Musial will probably be out of the picture very soon...

ScottFandango
10-06-2012, 06:12 AM
Not for Pujols... I would say he was on The wrong side of the karma line this year...

Cardinals in playoffs, angels out...

MVP talk for another player on his own team...

And the worst of all, a triple crown won under his nose....

Well, for us pujols fans,we can think of this:

Pujols lead the league in doubles...
He hit 3 hrs in a world series game less than a year ago...
And the most underrated thing about Pujols never talked about:

He won the Decade Triple Crown, which is amazing!

rdixon1208
10-06-2012, 06:20 AM
Three other players have won the decade triple crown:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sportscenter/post/_/id/4052/research-pujols-historic-decade

ScottFandango
10-06-2012, 07:20 AM
http://i.imgur.com/4XD5T.jpg