PDA

View Full Version : Price Guide - Underpriced Sets

Gr8Beldini
10-04-2012, 11:19 AM
My vote for the most drastically underpriced postwar set is the 1963 Jello. Much scarcer than it's brother (1963 Post), these suckers are never found cut nicely, and when they [rarely] are cut correctly, there is always a crease. The card was cropped right up to the box fold on all borders, making cuts difficult enough, cuts without creases near impossible. In no way does the modest set price and price per card reflect the impossibility of finding quality cards from this set... And the Aspromonte card; the Post examples are rare but they show up for sale once in a while. Has anyone ever seen a 63 Jello Aspromonte?

SMPEP
10-04-2012, 04:08 PM
The most underpriced set is the 1952 Topps grey backs.

Each is listed at $60-80 in NM.

Ha.

Volod
10-04-2012, 04:19 PM
My vote for the most drastically underpriced postwar set is the 1963 Jello. Much scarcer than it's brother (1963 Post), these suckers are never found cut nicely, and when they [rarely] are cut correctly, there is always a crease. The card was cropped right up to the box fold on all borders, making cuts difficult enough, cuts without creases near impossible. In no way does the modest set price and price per card reflect the impossibility of finding quality cards from this set... And the Aspromonte card; the Post examples are rare but they show up for sale once in a while. Has anyone ever seen a 63 Jello Aspromonte?

If you could go back to 1963 and ask a Jello ad executive if the cards should be carefully placed on the package so that they could be cut out without being damaged, he would probably look at you like you just slipped out of a loony bin: "None of these things are going to be around next year - who the * cares?":D

ALR-bishop
10-04-2012, 07:38 PM
...are slakards. Try to get the Topps 55 Stamps, 55 Hocus Focus, 61 Dice, 66 Punch Outs, 70 Cloth , or 71 Rookie Artists Proofs at the listed SCD prices:)

David W
10-05-2012, 12:56 PM
If you could go back to 1963 and ask a Jello ad executive if the cards should be carefully placed on the package so that they could be cut out without being damaged, he would probably look at you like you just slipped out of a loony bin: "None of these things are going to be around next year - who the * cares?":D

haha, good point.

Also, I'm sure some of the Jello cards, being mangled and trimmed horribly end up being sold as Post Cereal.

I know I've bought a few lots off Ebay, and one time I got a couple Jello's mixed in.

SMPEP
10-05-2012, 02:01 PM
I thought about that after I wrote my email.

I know it's a tough job, but it amazes me how many cards are mispriced in the guidebooks.

I mean yeah, you certainly get it wrong the first year. But then you get feedback, and correct a few prices, and then next edition is a bit better. And then you get feedback on that edition, and so forth.

They've had enough editions now that I would think that they would at least get some of the really obvious mispriced stuff replaced.

But they do have a thankless job, because everyone's going to push the stuff they have ... so how do they know without being an expert on everything ... and that is not possible.

ALR-bishop
10-05-2012, 04:45 PM
It was all up to Bob and one guy can only do so much, even with input from others. I never used SCD as a price guide, just a great checklist

Brianruns10
10-05-2012, 09:48 PM
The most underpriced set is the 1952 Topps grey backs.

Each is listed at $60-80 in NM.

Ha.

To add to that, I've watched 52s on ebay enough to see that when a PSA 5-6 comes up dead centered, it'll get a good 25-50% above SMR. So a '52 Topps set with well centered cards would, I think, be worth far more than the average set value for a given grade.