PDA

View Full Version : Two Pick Up threads?

Leon
10-03-2012, 08:40 AM
I don't care to have too many "discussions" in the new pick up threads but want to at least discuss having two pick up threads, at a time, or per month. As it sits now I am opposed to 2 different threads at once, one being a T206 pickup thread and another with everything else. However, depending on folks thoughts I could see potentially having one thread on the 1st and another on the 15th, thereby making each one a bit more manageable. Overall, I don't think it's broken though so will be reluctant to change it. But it rarely hurts discussing board operations and I have been known to change my mind before.

10-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Maybe the T206 collectors could post their pickups in the "Monster Number" thread?

birdman42
10-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Since I discovered the "go to last viewed" button (the little blue down arrow to the left of the thread title), even the longest threads have been easy for me to navigate. I'm not a T206 fan-atic, but I do enjoy seeing what others have added. No need for a split thread here.

Bill

atx840
10-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Haters gonna hate! :D

Isn't a pickup a pickup? I love seeing everyone's scores and the mix of different card types from post to post. Although I am biased, I do think that the T206 collectors on here are as passionate about the hobby as the rest and enjoy sharing their little cardboard wins amongst all the other great types. I say keep it the way it is.

Matthew H
10-03-2012, 09:05 AM
The pick-up thread, that way it is now, stays on the front page near the top pretty much all month. I say leave it that way.

I would also suggest keeping it on topic, as far as pick-ups. Sometimes it does seem to turn into a t206 discussion...

Leon
10-03-2012, 09:07 AM
I would also suggest keeping it on topic, as far as pick-ups. Sometimes it does seem to turn into a t206 discussion...

Hence the reason for this thread :). Like I say, I think it's fine the way it is too but I see no reason to not discuss it for a bit. Personally I enjoy the pick up threads a lot and love to see what my friends are nabbing for their collections.

rdixon1208
10-03-2012, 09:14 AM
I think it's just fine the way it is.

sportscardpete
Haters gonna hate! :D

Isn't a pickup a pickup? I love seeing everyone's scores and the mix of different card types from post to post. Although I am biased, I do think that the T206 collectors on here are as passionate about the hobby as the rest and enjoy sharing their little cardboard wins amongst all the other great types. I say keep it the way it is.

I agree I like having everything all in one thread.. I don't like t206's much but I don't think that they take up TOO much room in the pickups thread.

I will say that all the freakshow cards should have their own separate thread... kind of like separating the freaks in a high school lunchroom.. (kidding)

bcbgcbrcb
My comment was meant to be humorous, I was not really looking to start a second thread for T206 pick-ups. I agree with everyone that T206's are just as important to card collecting as what I collect or what everyone else does and I have no problem with those collectors being proud of and posting their cards. What prompted me to post the comment was the comparatively high number of follow-up comments seemingly everytime a T206 collector posts a recent pick-up.

Leon
10-03-2012, 09:18 AM
My comment was meant to be humorous, I was not really looking to start a second thread for T206 pick-ups. I agree with everyone that T206's are just as important to card collecting as what I collect or what everyone else does and I have no problem with those collectors being proud of and posting their cards. What prompted me to post the comment was the comparatively high number of follow-up comments seemingly everytime a T206 collector posts a recent pick-up.

No worries Phil. I also remember someone suggesting T206s have their own forum too. :) It's all good....

Runscott
10-03-2012, 09:21 AM

Those T206 collectors do seem to be overly excited about vintage cards, and there are so many of them!

Is there some way we can kill some of their enthusiasm and reduce their numbers? Leon - please do the exact opposite of what you have been doing for the hobby, but aim it only at T206 collectors. We'll tell you when to stop.

Leon
10-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Those T206 collectors do seem to be overly excited about vintage cards, and there are so many of them!

Is there some way we can kill some of their enthusiasm and reduce their numbers? Leon - please do the exact opposite of what you have been doing for the hobby, but aim it only at T206 collectors. We'll tell you when to stop.

I know Scott...damn T206 guys with all of that enthusiasm. How dare them!! They should know that type collecting is the only way to go.

Gradedcardman
10-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Really ? Comments an issue ? Don't read them, scan the photos and go to the next thread...

Leon
10-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Really ? Comments an issue ? Don't read them, scan the photos and go to the next thread...

Yes, most discussions shouldn't be in the Pick Up threads. It has nothing to do with the comments themselves but the amount of posts etc...in those threads. It's not like I will stop or delete them but the hope is just for cleaner operations, that's all. If you want to post a comment it's still ok...I just didn't want to have this discussion there.

frankbmd
10-03-2012, 09:51 AM
For those of us who don't drop our cards, a pick up thread is not necessary.:D

Adding pick ups to the Monster Number Thread would make it go crazier than it already is.:eek: As the custodian of that thread, wading through scans without updates to find updates would also drive me crazy. However, posting scans on that thread is not discouraged per se.:)

Leon, with a Monster Number of 512, I have branched out into type collecting and currently own 26 out of 104 on my type list, which is bound to get longer as well. And "No", I'm not going to start a Type Number Thread. I'll leave that for someone more of your "type".;)

Jlighter
10-03-2012, 09:59 AM
I say keep it the same, the only idea I maybe could agree with is Leon's for splitting the month in two.

bcbgcbrcb
10-03-2012, 10:04 AM
I would hate to ignore ALL comments posted in the monthly pick-up threads that do not contain scans because of the extremely unlikely but remote possibility that someone might be providing information on a Baseball Hall of Fame Rookie Card that might be useful and/or interesting to me.

barrysloate
10-03-2012, 10:08 AM
I have my own thoughts on the pickup threads, and they probably differ from what most collectors think, but I'll suggest them anyway.

And first let me point out I no longer collect and never once have posted in them, but I do enjoy looking at these threads, hence my suggestion. I think the pickup threads really should be relegated to special acquisitions and not run of the mill ones. I love to look at rare and interesting memorabilia, but don't need to see each and every VG T206 common out there. If you're putting together a T206 set, there's no need to post all the cards you buy. Save the thread for that special pickup you know the other board members would find interesting.

Now maybe not even a single collector agrees with this, but I thought I would throw it out there anyway.

ullmandds
10-03-2012, 10:13 AM
barry...I was thinking similar thoughts...but decided not to voice them...as this would most likely exclude many people from posting in the new pu threads...and would decrease activity in general...which isn't good!

barrysloate
10-03-2012, 10:15 AM
I understand that what an advanced collector would deem run of the mill might be a special card to a beginning collector. Nevertheless, I think it would make the thread more interesting if it were pared down a little and had a few less....how should I say this tactfully.....T206's:)

bcbgcbrcb
10-03-2012, 10:23 AM
I am even more liberal than that, I don't mind seeing a T206 common that someone is proud to have just picked up but not quite as interested to see 3 or 4 fellow T206 collectors congratulating them immediately afterwards. To me, this seems to happen more times than not whenever a T206 pick-up is posted.

Leon
10-03-2012, 10:25 AM
I understand that what an advanced collector would deem run of the mill might be a special card to a beginning collector. Nevertheless, I think it would make the thread more interesting if it were pared down a little and had a few less....how should I say this tactfully.....T206's:)

Not a bad suggestion but, and I absolutely know you didn't mean it this way, it could be considered a bit of class warfare if we say only "special" cards in the pick up threads. I am quite sure, unless someone comes up with a great reason, that they will stay the same as they are now. In a day or two this discussion will be gone to another page but I think it was still worthwhile. Thanks for everyones thoughts so far.

barrysloate
10-03-2012, 10:29 AM
I said Leon that my thoughts probably would not be shared by most collectors, and I know that someone just starting a T206 set would be excited about every card he purchased. But that doesn't mean every card makes for an interesting thread. And as Phil pointed out, all those "congratulations" aren't necessary either. These are not big issues for sure, just small considerations afforded other board members.

In the end I expect everything will stay the same. The majority should decide what stays and what goes.

t206blogcom
10-03-2012, 10:34 AM
I get that not everybody thinks T206s are the greatest thing since sliced (Brunners) bread, but why discriminate T206 collectors and their pickups? I find it hard to believe that seeing too many T206s is harmful to anyone. Perhaps the disgruntled should buy more cards from a different set and post more of them to offset the frequency of T206s?

The suggestions to only post 'special' cards is ridiculous. Not everyone can afford high end cards or the ultra 'rare' gems. Perhaps that beat up $15 T206 Piedmont common is 'special' to the person who bought it and they want to share it with others.

Or perhaps people should keeps things in perspective and not forget that this board is for fun. There's more to life than cardboard.

Matthew H
10-03-2012, 10:38 AM
I believe the pick up thread is just for run-of-the-mill pickups. If you've got something truly rare, special and amazingly interesting, just start a new thread.

Edited to add: or you could post it in the pick up thread, start a new thread, then post it in the holy Grail thread, then post it in the show your favorite card thread, then post it in the bst.

barrysloate
10-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Come on Jason, I'm just expressing an opinion. You are free to disagree. Let's not make this more than it is. I expect the board will continue as it always has. If people want to post pictures of any card they want, they are absolutely free to do so. Likewise, I have the same right to say I don't find something interesting. You have that right too. No big deal either way.

Runscott
10-03-2012, 10:47 AM
I get that not everybody thinks T206s are the greatest thing since sliced (Brunners) bread

Nice

Runscott
10-03-2012, 11:07 AM
...but it should be 'trimmed' Brunners bread

Bocabirdman
10-03-2012, 11:34 AM
I said in another thread that I often feel, around here, like a weekend Harley rider in a saloon full of 1%-er outlaw bikers. My budget does not allow for big dollar purchases. The most I have ever paid for a single card is $60. I think my collection is awesome, though some might call it pedestrian. This is one reason I rarely post scans. Even though I may be tickled with a 1930 Zeenut common that I score, I know that the majority of the readers would be less than impressed. After yawning, they would post their PSA 8 mortgage payment-valued card. Cutting to the chase, why not simply have two threads, one for "pedestrian" cards valued at fifty bucks or less and the other other for more than fifty bucks. This would spare anyone who feels that the less expensive, less rare cards are not worth eyeballin'. Anyone who can find as much beauty and coolness in a slightly trimmed 1921 Koester Bread Robert Roth as a Black Swamp Wagner would be free to read both threads.:)

Jlighter
10-03-2012, 12:00 PM
I said in another thread that I often feel, around here, like a weekend Harley rider in a saloon full of 1%-er outlaw bikers. My budget does not allow for big dollar purchases. The most I have ever paid for a single card is $60. I think my collection is awesome, though some might call it pedestrian. This is one reason I rarely post scans. Even though I may be tickled with a 1930 Zeenut common that I score, I know that the majority of the readers would be less than impressed. After yawning, they would post their PSA 8 mortgage payment-valued card. Cutting to the chase, why not simply have two threads, one for "pedestrian" cards valued at fifty bucks or less and the other other for more than fifty bucks. This would spare anyone who feels that the less expensive, less rare cards are not worth eyeballin'. Anyone who can find as much beauty and coolness in a slightly trimmed 1921 Koester Bread Robert Roth as a Black Swamp Wagner would be free to read both threads.:)

It's certainly a valid idea, just sounds a bit like segregation of the classes, not that I really care, but I'm sure it will be construed as such.

tbob
10-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Mixed feelings on the T206s having their own thread. I don't mind if things stay the same. I do feel that in this month's pickup thread there is way too much discussion rather than featuring pickups. I thought I stumbled on to the wrong thread. I don't mind the occasional "gee, nice card" but I wish the thread could be limited to what 54ers pick up and show the scans and leave it primarily at that...

Bocabirdman
10-03-2012, 12:47 PM
It's certainly a valid idea, just sounds a bit like segregation of the classes, not that I really care, but I'm sure it will be construed as such.

The opinion was put forth earlier in this thread that some folks no longer get the "warm n' fuzzies" looking at scans of less valuable, less rare cards. Hey, that's their choice. More power to 'em. Segregate the upper class from the peasantry. Without separation, that "tsk tsk" tongue clicking sound of those who do not appreciate a lesser card would be deafening.:D:D:D

Beauty can be found in the "strangest of places if you look at them right". Hopefully this dis-pleases no-one.:D:eek::)

Howe’s Hunter
10-03-2012, 01:08 PM
wasn't there a limit as to how many posts could be on a thread? I seem to remember some months having five or six pick up threads, because there were so many posts. I found that a lot more annoying than one long thread.

Matthew H
10-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Mike, we could actually use a few more Zeenuts in the pickup thread. I've been collecting them, but haven't been posting them. I probably will start doing so.

novakjr
10-03-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't see a reason to separate them. I know the running joke seems to be that t206's are a different beast all-together...But, ultimately they're just cards. I'm pretty sure there's a few people who may be put off by some of the complete and total sh!t beaters that I post. But there seems be an understanding that I'm just a different type of collector, and that there are many others who are at the same stage that I am.. Basically, t206's are, at their core, no different from beaters in terms of personal taste..

However there are many of us, who don't post EVERYTHING we pickup.. Mostly just the notable ones. I think some judgement could be used when choosing what to post, or wait to lump the less notable ones in one post. But I'm not one to judge and am perfectly fine with the way things are.. There are many degrees of collecting on this board. Something that seems commonplace to some, may be exciting and new to someone else. Let's not ruin their fun, by minimalizing what may be the next step in their collectible evolution..

As far as discussions in the pickup thread, I'm fine with it too. If a card is worth discussing(but not enough for it's own thread), then I don't see a problem with it..

Bocabirdman
10-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I don't see a reason to separate them. I know the running joke seems to be that t206's are a different beast all-together...But, ultimately they're just cards. I'm pretty sure there's a few people who may be put off by some of the complete and total sh!t beaters that I post. But there seems be an understanding that I'm just a different type of collector, and that there are many others who are at the same stage that I am.. Basically, t206's are, at their core, no different from beaters in terms of personal taste..

However there are many of us, who don't post EVERYTHING we pickup.. Mostly just the notable ones. I think some judgement could be used when choosing what to post, or wait to lump the less notable ones in one post. But I'm not one to judge and am perfectly fine with the way things are.. There are many degrees of collecting on this board. Something that seems commonplace to some, may be exciting and new to someone else. Let's not ruin their fun, by minimalizing what may be the next step in their collectible evolution..

As far as discussions in the pickup thread, I'm fine with it too. If a card is worth discussing(but not enough for it's own thread), then I don't see a problem with it..

Nicely stated.

teetwoohsix
10-03-2012, 01:21 PM
I have my own thoughts on the pickup threads, and they probably differ from what most collectors think, but I'll suggest them anyway.

And first let me point out I no longer collect and never once have posted in them, but I do enjoy looking at these threads, hence my suggestion. I think the pickup threads really should be relegated to special acquisitions and not run of the mill ones. I love to look at rare and interesting memorabilia, but don't need to see each and every VG T206 common out there. If you're putting together a T206 set, there's no need to post all the cards you buy. Save the thread for that special pickup you know the other board members would find interesting.

Now maybe not even a single collector agrees with this, but I thought I would throw it out there anyway.

Hi Barry-

I always love reading your posts, but I have to disagree with this one. I post my common T206 pick ups mainly because I am excited about picking them up, they mean as much to me as my other (HOF'er) pick ups.

What we have here folks are a couple of people who show up in any thread that has "too much" T206 talk and voice their disdain towards this particular type of card. Maybe we should start a "whine" thread once a month, for those who like to whine about certain types of cards, and maybe we can offer them some tissue, or maybe a little cheese to go with their whine.

And, God forbid, someone congradulate another collector on a T206 pick up.....it's the begining of Armageddon.....run to your fall out shelter before we turn to dust !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Clayton

barrysloate
10-03-2012, 02:26 PM
That's fine Clayton, and as I said I expected a number of people would disagree with me. Even when I was an active collector I got tired of seeing and collecting the same thing, and always looked for something a little different. So when I see an endless string of T206 I guess I get a little bored with it. Doesn't mean that those who collect T206 shouldn't be passionate about them. We all collect differently.

wazoo
10-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Hi all. Honestly, I enjoy having the one thread because it really shows how diverse each card set is out there. I really am only a t206 collector, but I appreciate every card. There are so many other unique cards out there and I would not want to limit my knowledge to only one set of course.

wazoo
10-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Clayton, myself, and many of the others enjoy all the cards you post. Some are commons, others are more rare players, regardless of what, they're what makes the hobby fun! I'm happy that you, the others, and myself post our cards, regardless of who the player(s) is/are. It's a good topic to be brought up, but really it should just stay as a one thread.

Hi Barry-

I always love reading your posts, but I have to disagree with this one. I post my common T206 pick ups mainly because I am excited about picking them up, they mean as much to me as my other (HOF'er) pick ups.

What we have here folks are a couple of people who show up in any thread that has "too much" T206 talk and voice their disdain towards this particular type of card. Maybe we should start a "whine" thread once a month, for those who like to whine about certain types of cards, and maybe we can offer them some tissue, or maybe a little cheese to go with their whine.

And, God forbid, someone congradulate another collector on a T206 pick up.....it's the begining of Armageddon.....run to your fall out shelter before we turn to dust !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Clayton

E93
10-03-2012, 02:36 PM
I just thought I would post my most recent pickup (a vg T206, common back) here in case anybody missed it in the October pickup thread.
JimB

http://photos.imageevent.com/jimblumenthal/t206willisbacks/huge/T206%20Willis%20SC%20350f.jpghttp://photos.imageevent.com/jimblumenthal/t206willisbacks/huge/T206%20Willis%20SC%20350b.jpg

E93
10-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Honestly, is it that hard to scroll past cards that do not interest you? Personally I think this is a ridiculous topic of discussion. We are all here because we love vintage baseball cards. Let's not get snobby about which ones are worthy of posting in a pick-up thread, which are worthy of being excited about by collectors, and which are worthy of comments and congratulations. This is a hobby; let's let it be fun.
JimB

barrysloate
10-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Jim- is it so hard to post an opinion, even if it goes against the grain of what most collectors think? Of course it's easy to scroll past a thread that holds little interest, but one can still have an opinion about it.

E93
10-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Jim- is it so hard to post an opinion, even if it goes against the grain of what most collectors think?

Apparently not. :)

Barry, I like you a lot and agree with you 99% of the time, just not this time.
JimB

barrysloate
10-03-2012, 02:55 PM
I don't expect anyone to agree with me 100% of the time. No hard feelings.

teetwoohsix
10-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Clayton, myself, and many of the others enjoy all the cards you post. Some are commons, others are more rare players, regardless of what, they're what makes the hobby fun! I'm happy that you, the others, and myself post our cards, regardless of who the player(s) is/are. It's a good topic to be brought up, but really it should just stay as a one thread.

Hey, thanks wazoo, I appreciate the kind words.

It's hard for me to make sense of board members who feel the need to always let it be known that they don't like a certain type of card ALL OF THE TIME, to the point where they show up in EVERY thread with that type of card to make some kind of snarky remark. It's like "we get it already".

I am not fond of certain types of pre-war cards, but it would never bother me if there were multiple threads about these cards, let alone, I wouldn't disrespect the people who collect them by constantly complaining in some form or other about people posting them or discussing them-I mean, isn't that what this forum is all about??

I love looking at all cards, and learning about them, and reading the discussions about them, it's good fun.

Now, we are supposed to sit here and think "oh, wait, I shouldn't post my latest pick up because it's a T206 common and a couple of individuals are tired of T206's".........WTF?

Congrats to everyone on all of your recent pick ups.

JimB. that is one beautiful Willis T206, thank you for posting that !!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely, Clayton

Vintagecatcher
10-03-2012, 04:29 PM
I always enjoy the pickup thread regardless of how long it is. If you pick something up and are excited about it...post away.

I vaguely remember a split month pick-up thread years ago. If you decide to do a split then you might want to lock the first thread when the second thread starts. I remember people posting in the first thread because they forgot that the pickup thread had been split.

Patrick

Rob D.
10-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Maybe there can be a screening thread where people post cards they'd like to be included in the pick-ups thread. If Barry deems a card worthy, it can then be posted in the pick-ups thread.

rdixon1208
10-03-2012, 06:47 PM
I actually think the P/U thread would be more fun and enjoyable if more people would post. I would love to see more beat up Zeenuts, raw Goudey commons, strip cards, etc. A lot of people eel like their cards aren't worthy of posting. Accordingly, it seems like we see the same stuff over and over.

wazoo
10-03-2012, 06:52 PM
I actually think the P/U thread would be more fun and enjoyable if more people would post. I would love to see more beat up Zeenuts, raw Goudey commons, strip cards, etc. A lot of people eel like their cards aren't worthy of posting. Accordingly, it seems like we see the same stuff over and over.

Last month I had 230 posts on the thread. I'm positive there were more acquisitions, but 230 is fine by me )

barrysloate
10-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Maybe there can be a screening thread where people post cards they'd like to be included in the pick-ups thread. If Barry deems a card worthy, it can then be posted in the pick-ups thread.

Good plan Rob, well thought out.

Idiottax
10-04-2012, 05:52 AM
I think the single pick-up thread for the month is what encouraged me to branch out beyond the T206 cards that brought me to the board. It was the T206s that I wanted to collect since childhood that brought me back into the hobby and seeing all the different cards encouraged me to branch out more and purchase those caramel cards, newspaper supplements and non-American Tobacco Company T cards. And I suspect that I am not alone in this, even though I initially looked to the pickup thread to see other T206s.

ullmandds
10-04-2012, 05:54 AM
What this country(board) needs is more segregation!

As much as T206 bores me...I respect most of those who collect it...and I look forward to seeing everyone's monthly aquisitions. There in no way should be more than 1 monthly pick up thread...unless of course the first one gets so lengthy that a 2nd is necessary?!

Runscott
10-04-2012, 06:35 AM
Good plan Rob, well thought out.

Rob was probably just joking with you - I've never known him to say anything mean to anyone.

3-2-count
10-04-2012, 07:09 AM
Personally I think this is a ridiculous topic of discussion.
JimB

I couldn't agree more Jim. +1

Leon
10-04-2012, 07:19 AM
I couldn't agree more Jim. +1

I find it sort of ironic that those that don't want to debate something are giving their opinions.

3-2-count
10-04-2012, 07:53 AM
I find it sort of ironic that those that don't want to debate something are giving their opinions.

There is really nothing to debate Leon. How much dialogue can one actually add to your header in this thread which states "two pick up threads?" It's either yay or nay. I'm nay for the record!! Nothing more to add than that and still am in agreement with Jim that this is a ridiculous topic of discussion.

Leon
10-04-2012, 08:02 AM
There is really nothing to debate Leon. How much dialogue can one actually add to your header in this thread which states "two pick up threads?" It's either yay or nay. I'm nay for the record!! Nothing more to add than that and still am in agreement with Jim that this is a ridiculous topic of discussion.

Yeap, and I am still finding it ironic that you don't want to debate it yet gave your opinion on it (again). For the record I was NAY on it too. I like having it all in one thread but since someone brought it up I figured we could get some thoughts on it. Thanks for yours. I appreciate the open dialogue and debate (even though it was ridiculous, silly me).

3-2-count
10-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Yeap, and I am still finding it ironic that you don't want to debate it yet gave your opinion on it (again). For the record I was NAY on it too. I like having it all in one thread but since someone brought it up I figured we could get some thoughts on it. Thanks for yours. I appreciate the open dialogue and debate (even though it was ridiculous, silly me).

Leon you have a great day!! Keep fighting the good fight!!

Leon
10-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Leon you have a great day!! Keep fighting the good fight!!

Happy Collecting!! :)

jmk59
10-05-2012, 11:54 AM
I think it's too easy and maybe a little intellectually dishonest to try to bust Barry's opinion by accusing him of being classist or elitist. His suggestion was not about the collectors or the cards. It was about the thread.

There is a reason people look forward to getting REA's catalogs and are so amazed by them every year - it's alway an eye-popping collection of cool and unusual and beautiful cards, memorabilia and the like. That doesn't make the catalog elitist and does not mean that T206 commons are crap or T206 commons collectors are lesser collectors. It just means that images of really great specimens of this hobby, when compiled into one place, can be an amazing thing to look at.

Even in this forum people love the REA and Legendary and similar high-end auction pickup threads. Comments always include people saying how amazing it is to see so many great images of cool cards in one place.

So one can disagree with Barry and say that a Net54 pick up thread should be about all pick ups - an opinion I happen to hold just becuase of its practibility and manageability and so you don't miss anything. But his suggestion to try to increase the "wow factor" of the monthly pickup thread is just as valid as any other approach and should not be shouted down with inflammatory and superficial rhetoric about elitism that does not even survive the barest amount of critical thought. At least most disagreers were respectful and simply gave reasons for having a different opinon.

J