PDA

View Full Version : The things you find when you aren't looking for them...

boxingcarddigest
10-01-2012, 10:28 PM
I went down to an antique shop today that I visit every few months as the guy has a nice collection of cigarette cards. I've pretty much cleaned him out of his boxing over the years and today was visiting to look for something for somebody else. While there I asked to see his card folders as I was flipping through I found this little gem:

http://photos.imageevent.com/boxingcarddigest/mycollectioncardsforsaleortrade/fitz.jpg

It's Ogdens, which generally are pretty common, but this is from their 1900 Tab General Interest "Item 95" set. I have seen footballers from this set, but I have never seen a boxer. In the years I was completing my type card set, I looked for this card, all to no avail.

Either I wasn't looking hard enough in the right places, or this thing is tough to find.

Whatever, it's now mine and will slot nicely into my type card collection

I found this info on google. Item 95 General interest-similar "Tabs" C.201-300 series. This series comprises 76 stage artistes,41 celebrities,56 footballers and 23 miscellaneous cards (and most of these appear to be cyclists).

I'll have to read my English boxing card book to see this checklist when I get home.

Andy Baran
10-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Are you sure that it's not part of the 1901 Boer War and General Interest (Sportsman Group) series shown on Page 38 of Evan Jones' book? Looks like the same series to me. Never seen one, so thanks for sharing. Congrats on the great find. Super rare.

boxingcarddigest
10-02-2012, 07:54 AM
You're right Andy. I since checked Evan's book when I got home and that's what it says.

There are 6 boxers in the set, Fitzimmons, Kid McCoy, Frank Craig, Peter Maher, Tom Sharkey and Dick Burge.

I have never seen one of them other than this Fitzsimmons.

I did also read a post from a few years ago on Net54 where someone had one of each of the Ogdens boxing cards, but could never any locate any boxer in this set, and had only ever seen one.

I cannot find anything on the net in relation to these cards. I think the Item 95 is in relation to it's World tobacco Index no.

Andy Baran
10-02-2012, 08:04 AM
I've never seen a card from that set either. It may be as rare as the Old Judge Fitzsimmons. Could you post a scan of the back?

boxingcarddigest
10-02-2012, 08:11 AM
They are blank backed Andy

butcher354435
10-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Very nice David! Was this found at the same place you took me last year?

Exhibitman
10-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Are you sure that it's not part of the 1901 Boer War and General Interest (Sportsman Group) series shown on Page 38 of Evan Jones' book? Looks like the same series to me. Never seen one, so thanks for sharing. Congrats on the great find. Super rare.

I think that's right, Andy. Either way, heck of a card to find on a pick.

I wonder, are they rare or are they rare outside the UK? Any British collectors have any insight they could offer?

boxingcarddigest
10-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Brent, it was the same place. Just one of those lucky times :)

Adam, I think they are rare anywhere. I once contacted quite a few British collectors and could never get my hands on one for my type card set.