PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Ball Guys

Shoeless Moe
09-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Just picked up this neat ball.

Red & Black stitched. Official National League across the front. Now here comes the good/bad part, depending on how you look at it.

It has a silver cap on it, and I'm not talking just the color, per the previous owner it is not steel, but rather made of silver.

On the cap it reads H. W. Corning. 1911. I was told by the owner that his family used to live in a Mansion in Cleveland, a 13,000 squre foot mansion on Lake Erie (which is still there)
built by Corning who was a wealthy Cleveland Industrialist, built in the late 1890's or early 1900's. He believes the ball was given to his grandfather or grandmother from Corning, or it was just left
in the mansion when his family took residence there.

The story is backed by a link he sent me which tells the story of the mansion, and that Cole Porter and Duke Ellington dropped in to play. The article goes on to say the mansion's
current owners plan on continuing the tradition by hosting concerts there. There being the Bratenahl mansion, formerly the Corning Mansion. So that's the good or bad news depending
on how you look at it. Gives me a history of the ball, however I believe the silver cap on it possible covers up a Pulium (1903-1909), Heydler (1909-1910), or most likely a Lynch
(1910-1913) stamped signature. That is the key to the balls value.

But the cap is cemented or glued on, and even if I were to pop it off, 1. I could damage the ball, 2. It loses it's history, 3. no guarantee any sig is there, or if it is there will it be legible due to
glue/cement damage. But........say it pops off and there is the signature. Hmmmmmm.

BrandonG
09-28-2012, 01:50 AM
Paul, I was the buyer for this ball before the guy took it down, pissed me off some fierce that he relisted it only a few bucks higher than what we talked about, he said he'd try to pull it before someone bought it but that obviously didn't work out for me. There's definitely not a Pulliam under the cap, at best there's a 1911 Tener, but from what I saw in the auction photos, it's just a blank panel, most likely a collegiate or minor league ball.

Nice piece, and okay price for what you got it for. Let me know when you're ready to part with it! :)

Shoeless Moe
09-28-2012, 06:13 AM
"In order to be the best you have to beat the best" - Ric Flair (I was working with the guy as well, it wasn't just that I stumbled upon that BIN, we agreed on that price)

Sorry man, but thanks for your input. I do appreciate your opinion, and hearing your view on it.

It'll probably go up on Ebay eventually, but I thought of offering it to the new mansion owners as well.

You may get to view it if I decide to use your new service, but still researching it and seeing if I can indeed determine it is a LYNCH without damaging the ball. U say Tener, but Tener didn't start 'til 1913, this is dated '11, you wouldn't be trying to lowball me now, j.k.

Colleges and the minors used Official National League Balls back in 1911?

ngrow9
09-28-2012, 06:45 AM
Paul, I was the buyer for this ball before the guy took it down, pissed me off some fierce that he relisted it only a few bucks higher than what we talked about, he said he'd try to pull it before someone bought it but that obviously didn't work out for me. There's definitely not a Pulliam under the cap, at best there's a 1911 Tener, but from what I saw in the auction photos, it's just a blank panel, most likely a collegiate or minor league ball.

Nice piece, and okay price for what you got it for. Let me know when you're ready to part with it! :)

Tener wasn't league president until 1913...it it was a 1911, wouldn't it be a Lynch?

frankbmd
09-28-2012, 07:31 AM
Just imagine the "clank" you would hear if you hit that ball with one of dem new-fangled metal bats.

Bocabirdman
09-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Just imagine the "clank" you would hear if you hit that ball with one of dem new-fangled metal bats.

Any pitcher worth hs salt would get so much movement on that ball with that added, off-centered weight, that any batter would have a hell of time making contact. Of course the catcher could wind up breaking a finger or three.:D

Shoeless Moe
09-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Any pitcher worth hs salt would get so much movement on that ball with that added, off-centered weight, that any batter would have a hell of time making contact. Of course the catcher could wind up breaking a finger or three.:D

That's exactly what me and another guy were discussing while showing him at the office today. We said the break you'd get on this ball would be something.

BrandonG
09-28-2012, 11:36 AM
I meant LYNCH sorry...I was hopped up on pain meds from a root canal when I posted last night lol. :)