PDA

View Full Version : "Splain this to me, PSA

Theoldprofessor
09-24-2012, 03:29 PM
I know it's off topic a bit, but this is where the experience hangs out, so I'm breaking a rule to get some feedback.

"Shoot if you must this old grey head, but first explain why Johnny came marching home like this." he said." (Apologies to both John Greenleaf Whittier and Barbara Frietchie.) Anyhow ...

I sent a bunch of early fifties cards to PSA for grading. Most came back pretty much as I thought they might.

All but Johnny Sain.

Guys, did you just run out of regular holders?

Does anybody else have similar encapsulated cards?

sb1
09-24-2012, 03:43 PM
I would say the card was too large to fit in the normal 52 Topps holder, so they just used a size larger. PSA, unlike SGC cannot custom cut an insert to hold the card to more specific measurements.

teetwoohsix
09-24-2012, 04:54 PM
If you mean that warped look to the slab, I have one and I don't like it. But, I like the card inside it, so it's ok. :D

rainier2004
09-24-2012, 05:33 PM
If you mean that warped look to the slab, I have one and I don't like it. But, I like the card inside it, so it's ok. :D

Clayton - I think Bob was referring to the enormous slab used for the 1952T - Ive never seen a 52-56 topps card in a slab that big. It kinda messed up the stack if you have other but I bet it bust extra easy with all that space to maneuver within! :)

travrosty
09-24-2012, 05:45 PM
dont put up with it, complain and make them get it right, if you order a pepperoni pizza and get sausage and mushrooms, why just eat it and not say anything?

oskafagus
09-24-2012, 06:04 PM
bob, what are the measurements on that card top to bottom?

steve B
09-24-2012, 06:16 PM
dont put up with it, complain and make them get it right, if you order a pepperoni pizza and get sausage and mushrooms, why just eat it and not say anything?

'Cause two toppings costs more and I also like sausage and mushrooms.:D

philliesphan
09-24-2012, 11:51 PM
looks pretty oversized from top to bottom, as compared to regular 1952 Topps cards. I cannot imagine it would fit into a normal 1952 topps PSA holder.

teetwoohsix
09-25-2012, 12:19 AM
Clayton - I think Bob was referring to the enormous slab used for the 1952T - Ive never seen a 52-56 topps card in a slab that big. It kinda messed up the stack if you have other but I bet it bust extra easy with all that space to maneuver within! :)

Thanks Steven. I saw sb1's post about the card being oversized, but I just thought the border on the bottom looked bigger because the top border was smaller (thought maybe a centering issue)- the real issue is I don't know 52 Topps like you guys do :o ;)

Sincerely, Clayton

Pup6913
09-25-2012, 03:02 AM
'Cause two toppings costs more and I also like sausage and mushrooms.:D

+1. Btw if you call them they will make another and deliver it free. So enjoy the one till the other shows up:)

Theoldprofessor
09-25-2012, 04:39 AM
The card measures 2 5/8 x 3 3/4. (Although I have lots of 52Ts, I did not know their dimensions. So I measured before looking up the "right" answer. I also compared it to about a dozen randomly chosen 52Ts. They matched up with it very well, i.e. the Sain was the same size as the rest.)

steve B
09-25-2012, 08:42 AM
+1. Btw if you call them they will make another and deliver it free. So enjoy the one till the other shows up:)

Ha! I never thought of that.

I had a friend who delivered for a major chain that had a "delivery guarantee". On slow nights he said their Pizza would usually be late. since most people figured the discount came out of the drivers pay they would often give them the whole ammount anyway. And the discount was actually written off as an advertising expense. Corporate figured it was a good thing for random peole to get a big discount now and then.

To stay on topic, that huge holder seems a bit crazy. Unless the card really doesn't fit I'd ask for the correct size holder. Or put it on Ebay as a "rare 1/1".

Steve B