PDA

View Full Version : Another amazing auction.....Poll....

Leon
09-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Read the whole description and then check out the bids. The bids look far more legit than that card, as the seller even said!!! I guess some folks just want to believe...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-goudey-babe-ruth-149-ags-ex-mt-6-psa-/261100926806?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3ccad3f756

Do you think the card is legit?

Matthew H
09-24-2012, 12:10 PM
I'd have to defer to what the seller stated in the description, but wow what an amazing fake.

Leon
09-24-2012, 12:24 PM
I'd have to defer to what the seller stated in the description, but wow what an amazing fake.

I actually can't tell for sure but was going by the sellers own admission too. I am not sure I have seen too many sellers say something is believed to be "not real" when it is. Maybe the bidders know more than the seller and this could be a diamond in the rough? Personally, I have enough things going on to chance it. I don't need any more drama right now.

barrysloate
09-24-2012, 12:26 PM
An unscrupulous dealer can take something like this to a mall show and sell it to a sucker for thousands of dollars. That is probably who is bidding on it. Not unlike a fake Ruth ball with a bad LOA. It's a very marketable item.

drc
09-24-2012, 12:33 PM
If i thought it was a reprint, I wouldn't sell it for $330 (current bid as of writing). I don't care what someone is willing to pay, I don't think you can ethically sell a reprint Goudey Ruth for $330.

wondo
09-24-2012, 12:54 PM
The bleed through to the back is a helluva touch.

Matthew H
09-24-2012, 01:03 PM
The bleed through to the back is a helluva touch.

Would that be bleed through or a WST? If it's supposed to be bleed through then the centering doesn't match the front.

peterose4hof
09-24-2012, 02:52 PM
The first poll choice should be "real and spectacular" instead of "real and good."

frankbmd
09-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Sellers other auctions all have exactly the same description and all are graded Mint 9 by AGS.

They are a 68 Topps Ryan rookie, a 67 Topps Mantle and a 68 Topps Mantle.

Does this change anyone's mind? All good or all bad:confused:

jimq
09-24-2012, 03:46 PM
I think on the real ones, there's a pronounced difference in the color of the orange/red background and the area where "big league chewing gum" is printed. On the card in question, it doesn't look like there's much difference in those 2 colors.

I would stay away, but it's amazing how many people wish for something to be real. My father in law does it all the time.

terjung
09-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Without the description or the holder, I would have voted that it was probably authentic. I have no reason to doubt the seller, though, since I'm only looking at scans.

If the fakes are getting that good, that's pretty scary. It'd be interesting to see the card stock on it.

Runscott
09-24-2012, 04:09 PM
The borders on the front (slightly wide on the left) do NOT match up with the WST borders on the back. On '33 Goudeys, these always seem to match up perfectly with the front.

...meaning, I think this card is made from photocopies of the front and back of a real card (with WST), and the forger didn't take the time to line up the back correctly.

FAKE

teetwoohsix
09-24-2012, 04:45 PM
I voted "I can't tell" but after reading what you guys said about the bleed through not matching up with the back , and looking at that, I can clearly see what you mean.

Sincerely, Clayton

Matthew H
09-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Coaches Corner sells AGS grades cards:

http://www.myccsa.com/lot/223/1933-goudey-babe-ruth-53-baseball-card-ags-graded-ex-5.aspx

'nuff said.

GoldenAge50s
09-24-2012, 08:15 PM
I disagree on the bleed-thru. Don't confuse the white scanner space on the left as part of the left border. Left border is thin--right border wider. When viewing the reverse it is the opposite, as it should be!

Having said that, all 4 cards are counterfeits.

WillowGrove
09-24-2012, 08:54 PM
I voted "I can't tell" but after reading what you guys said about the bleed through not matching up with the back , and looking at that, I can clearly see what you mean.

Sincerely, Clayton

+1.

Runscott
09-24-2012, 09:31 PM
I disagree on the bleed-thru. Don't confuse the white scanner space on the left as part of the left border. Left border is thin--right border wider. When viewing the reverse it is the opposite, as it should be!

Having said that, all 4 cards are counterfeits.

Yeah, I know. And it doesn't line up correctly.

ctownboy
09-25-2012, 12:42 AM
Look at the Feed Back history. This person has sold PSA graded cards in the past so why not get these cards graded by PSA if they are authentic?

Also, the seller received a Negative back in 2009 for a PSA graded Clemente rookie. The buyer said the card was a fake put into a real PSA holder.

David

glynparson
09-26-2012, 12:54 AM
I dont think it looks real to me. I believe it is 100% A FAKE.

Leon
09-27-2012, 02:11 PM
At over 1k I hope it was real!! The winning bidder having private feedback doesn't inspire a lot of confidence....but it looks like there were other legit bidders bidding quite high.