PDA

View Full Version : What is your collecting goal? Will you be able to achieve it?

g_vezina_c55
09-24-2012, 06:43 AM
What is your pre-war collecting goal?

Will you be able to achieve it?

So what is your goal, and will you be able to achieve it? If not, is it due to rarity or financial issues?

Howe’s Hunter
09-24-2012, 06:47 AM
Regrouping all of Howe McCormick's old cards. But since I'll never know how many he had to begin with, even if I was successful, I'd never know it.

And then again, there is the whole financial issue, since nine of the 33 I know of that I don't have are Hindu-backed, and another two are green background Cobb portraits.....

But I'm alright with that. My collection is like trying to figure out a woman. It will never be accomplished.

rainier2004
09-24-2012, 07:14 AM
My collecting goal, longterm, is to finish sets from different eras to represent BB from the 1860s until present. I'm short a Clemente rookie, otherwise the goals of 1953-present would be accomplished (mostly at least). In the end, Ill have to purchase a CDV (preferably a cinci p/s card) from 1860s and finish all of my "collecting interests" in my profile plus a few more sets...seems a long ways away currently as all I have bought a single goudey since the National. I do think it is obtainable though...someday. I just would love to inch closer to finishing my CJ set for now. Anyone ready to part with any of those CJs that have been pm'd to me?

frankbmd
09-24-2012, 07:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoLMLFz2Hg8

New goals replace old goals, whether the old ones are met or not.

It's all about the trip.

Brian Van Horn
09-24-2012, 07:29 AM
What is your collecting goal? No goal except to collect what I like when I see it.

Will you be able to achieve it? At times.

I'm not trying to be cute. I'm just being honest.

varsitycollectibles
09-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Not PreWWII, but I collect both vintage and modern Bob Gibson cards and memorabilia. Currently working on a complete PSA 7 Topps base run of his playing years (1959-1975). I currently have 8/17.

Here are 1960, 1961, 1963, 1965, 1966, 1967, and 1969. I have 1971 on the way.

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg484/easttexassportscards1/photo29_zpse8c6b6ea.jpg

birdman42
09-24-2012, 08:25 AM
I've been working on a Washington type set since the early 80s.

As with Ed, I don't know of everything that's out there, so I wouldn't ever know if I was "finished." The recent thread about the B-unc felts shows an example of something I didn't even know existed until I saw it.

Rarity enters into it; the Herpolsheimer's all appear to be unique, so unless I can get someone to break one loose then I'm without.

And finances are obviously a limitation. (Well, maybe not so obviously for someone who can plunk down money for a Plank.) In several pre-war issues the only Washington representative is Johnson, which cranks the price up to several times a common.

Then there are the issues where both rarity and price come in. L-1 leathers anyone?

It's a never-ending journey.

Bill

murcerfan
09-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Total World domination.

esd10
09-24-2012, 08:40 AM
collecting 1 card from every hofer that played befor 1935 and add to my jake duabert collection.

bcbgcbrcb
09-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Goal:

Collect one Rookie Card of every member of the Baseball Hall of Fame

Possibility to Complete:

None, for three reasons........

1. There will never be universal agreement on which is the Rookie Card(s) for every HOF'er

2. Rarity - a few are "1-of-a-kind"

3. Price - would have to have well over $1MM+ (I don't)

markf31
09-24-2012, 09:37 AM
My collecting goals are a lot like The Stig. An enigma with a mind of it's own. No one knows where it's been or where it's going.

paulcarek
09-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Current goal is to complete the 1941 Play Ball set. Due to a fairly limited card budget, I decided to focus on this one because of its relatively small size. Right now I'm about a quarter of the way through, with almost half of the HOFers.

Longer-term, I'd like to pick up decent Ruth, Gehrig, and Wagner cards.

phikappapsi
09-24-2012, 11:39 AM
I am trying to finish my 1939 Play Ball HOF autograph set. Basically trying to get a signed 39 PB of each HoF in the set. At this point I'm only missing, Manush, Klein, Dickey, Averill, and Vaughn.

The Ted Williams was the priciest, the Ott the most rare, and the DiMaggios(2) are my favorites. But as a whole, they look phenomenal together.

t206blogcom
09-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Good question and one I'm struggling with. T206 was my focus ever since getting back into the hobby. Now that I'm done with that set, I'm tinkering with a Hindu SL subset and a HOF set. Bought some 80s/90s wax lately, for nostalgia reasons. Bought some autos lately, many of which are RCs. But I suppose more than anything, I'm trying to decide how to move forward. Do I go at it as aggressive as I did the Monster? Or do I take a break and focus on more important life things like buying a new house, starting a family, etc - things that would consume my card buying budget. Time will tell. Until then, I'll casually pick up a card or two here and there.

Matthew H
09-24-2012, 12:07 PM
I don't have a collecting goal, I have a collecting pipedream...

No, I will not be able to achieve it. :)

Jason
09-24-2012, 12:12 PM
My goals are to complete the T210 set up to 639 as well as collect all of the Prewar Richmond Colt Cards out there.The T210 set can be done I'm seeing now its going to be a long haul on that one.As for the Colt cards,I'm still adding new ones almost weekly to my checklist that I didn't know about.That subset will be a bit more hard to accomplish as the Old Mill Cabinets and E222 might be out of my reach sadly.

Pat R
09-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Regrouping all of Howe McCormick's old cards. But since I'll never know how many he had to begin with, even if I was successful, I'd never know it.

And then again, there is the whole financial issue, since nine of the 33 I know of that I don't have are Hindu-backed, and another two are green background Cobb portraits.....

But I'm alright with that. My collection is like trying to figure out a woman. It will never be accomplished.

Ed, I have an Elberfeld fielding with a faint H E M stamp
on the back. Is that his initials?

botn
09-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Total World domination.

That explains why I never heard back from you back in June. You were down playing it by telling me you were buried with work...

Divide and conquer!

HOF Auto Rookies
09-24-2012, 01:54 PM
hof auto rookies that i have no chance of completing, but i don't care

LEHR
09-24-2012, 02:18 PM
My goals seem to change from year to year and sometimes from day to day. As long as I'm having fun in this hobby = Goal achieved.

vintagerookies51
09-24-2012, 02:23 PM
I don't really have a collecting "goal".. I just collect as much as possible of cards I like. But I do have a list of rare and classic cards that I want someday.

peterose4hof
09-24-2012, 03:04 PM
My ultimate goal is to collect one of every single Cincinnati Reds cards in existance. Clearly this is not an attainable goal, because there are many one-of-a-kinds that may not be offered for sale in my lifetime. Also, many of them are out of my price range, like the Peck & Snyders.

Truth be told, my real goal is to collect as many as I can and enjoy the heck out of the journey.

cwazzy
09-24-2012, 03:21 PM
My ultimate goal is to collect one of every single Cincinnati Reds cards in existance. Clearly this is not an attainable goal, because there are many one-of-a-kinds that may not be offered for sale in my lifetime. Also, many of them are out of my price range, like the Peck & Snyders.

Truth be told, my real goal is to collect as many as I can and enjoy the heck out of the journey.

This is mine except for that I'm sticking with Cardinals cards from 1956 and before (for now :)). I am also trying for every Roy Campanella card ever made (including modern). Obviously neither one will ever happen. But a boy can dream.

Seiklis
09-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Close for me as well except mine is collecting as close to an all-time Cleveland Indians roster as possible

The couple one of a kind cards hurt but otherwise it's not as impossible as I thought when I started (The e107s make my head spin though)

packs
09-24-2012, 03:54 PM
My goal is to never stop collecting. I think I've got a decent shot at it.

wrapperguy
09-24-2012, 04:56 PM
My father and I start collecting 30 years ago. With him in his 90s, I have taken over his wantlist and try to get some stuff and bring it to him on our Sunday visits. He has several sets where he only needs one or two cards to finish. That would be cool. His wantlist is:
R303A Lombardi
R314 Wide Pens Type 2 - No Litho Appling, Chapman / Werber
R315s - need several
1925 Exhibits - need 20
1933 Exhibits - Berry/Seeds/Blue/Lyons, Cochrane/Foxx/Simmons/Grove, MacFayden/Webb/Rhyne/Berry
1925-31 Exhibits - all plain backgrounds - Faber, Hartnett, Waner, Wilson
Morgan Red Belts - Opening of the Season, Use Two if Necessary
1908-09 Dietsche - need several
1935 Goudeys - need 10 for master set but have to be exact front/back combos

If anyone can help, that would be awesome as Dad is 92 so time is, unfortunately, running out.

rainier2004
09-24-2012, 05:34 PM

Nice! Great goal.

Texxxx
09-24-2012, 06:15 PM
To spend all of the kids inheritance. That way they will have to work a little to get the money.:D

cdn_collector
09-24-2012, 07:31 PM
My father and I start collecting 30 years ago. With him in his 90s, I have taken over his wantlist...

Man I wish I had something on that wantlist that I could send your way.

Good luck!

Richard.

Hot Springs Bathers
09-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Jeff- What a great scenario! I shared my collection with my Dad and he always seemed to enjoy it. When I picked up something new he always had some memory of the player or team that gave life to the card or publication.

He didn't talk much but he smiled a lot and we sat in silence and watched games together. I lost him at 94 three weeks ago and it has left a huge void in my days. I think my wife and daughter understand.

As a boy he saw Ruth hiking the mountains around here in the Spring as as a teen he worked the field at the Ray Doan Baseball School in the 30s. Jimmy Foxx gave him a glove one year and became his favorite player.

Great stuff, fathers and sons or in my case daughter. That is what is special about baseball to me.

ValKehl
09-24-2012, 09:29 PM
What is your pre-war collecting goal?

Will you be able to achieve it?

So what is your goal, and will you be able to achieve it? If not, is it due to rarity or financial issues?

Nelson, I don't see your answers to these questions. Why not?

My goals:
(1) An example of every WaJo card.
(2) An example of every Sam Rice card.
(3) A better type-card collection than Leon's.

My chances of achieving:
(1) None.
(2) Slim.
(3) None.

Val

TistaT202
09-25-2012, 06:46 AM
A NY Highlanders T-card master set. It will probably take me the rest of my life to complete but i think its attainable.

HOF Auto Rookies
09-25-2012, 07:46 AM

From what I know from talking with you, you do have a hell of a collection. Keep at it!

Wite3
09-25-2012, 07:56 AM
I almost achieved my one big collecting goal (t205 master set), just missing the Hobby no stats.

My other collecting goal is every phillie issued between 1885-1985. Unfortunately, I do not think that will ever happen...too many extremely expensive (duke's delahanty) or too rare (Felins franks) to complete but the hunt is still fun!

Joshua

g_vezina_c55
09-25-2012, 10:10 AM

My goals:
(1) An example of every WaJo card.
(2) An example of every Sam Rice card.

My chances of achieving:
(1) None.
(2) Slim.
(3) None.

Val

hi
I didn't answer to the question you are right.
I will try to explain correctly in english hope you will understand. When i re-start the hobby in last march my goal was to build a T206 set.

After that during the summer another project push me in the obligation to sell my partial t206 set ( arround 150 cards if my memory is good ) .
Now with my other project done, last week i started again a T206 project. But this time i go with another purchase method. I will do it more slowly with 1 or 2 cards a week in low grade and raw no graded cards. If it is possible i will try also to have many different back .

With this method i will not burn me with this long travel of the t206 set quest.

I also have in my goal to find other Lionel Carter T206 SGC graded cards.

I think my goal is realist and i think i will be able to acheive it with a lot of time and no stress and no ruch in buying cards.

Thanks to all people who share his goal in this thread !

Leon
09-25-2012, 10:31 AM

My goals:

My chances of achieving:

(3) None.

Val

Too funny Val. I love seeing your type cards. It's fun feeding off of each other and the other type card collectors we are friends with. It really makes collecting so much more fun (for me) when it is done with friends such as yourself. Happy collecting!!

Here is one for ya....

http://luckeycards.com/pwunc1921johnson.jpg

ValKehl
09-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Hey Leon, thanks for showing me your 1921 self-developing card of WaJo, which I'd love to have in my WaJo collection. And, I suspect I will have it and more from your collection, IF (a great big if) I am able to obtain a Niagara Baking card before you do!!! :D
Best,
Val

BCauley
09-27-2012, 07:48 AM
Right now I want to acquire each portrait from the T206 set, minus the few obvious big ones, and complete the '34 Goudey set.

I'm sure something will change eventually though.

cliftons8
09-27-2012, 08:04 AM
My collection is so unfocused that to finish it would be akin to reaching the last
page of the internet.

Mike

baseballart
09-27-2012, 09:00 AM
My collection is so unfocused that to finish it would be akin to reaching the last
page of the internet.

Mike

Among many last pages:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/057/009/Error_Message20110724-22047-1lhji6s.png

tedzan
09-27-2012, 09:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoLMLFz2Hg8

New goals replace old goals, whether the old ones are met or not.

It's all about the trip.

Thanks for posting that classic Beach Boys song. Anyhow, my Daddy never "took my T-Bird away".....I didn't dare drive it like I was at the "Indy 500" :)

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt113/zanted86/tedz57tbirdmmbattennis.jpg

However, I revved-up my 1960 T-Bird (352 CID V-8, 300 HP) to 100+ MPH on the Garden State Pkwy some years ago.

Note the license plate on this one...."T206"

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt113/zanted86/b60tbirdt206.jpg

Incidently....what is my collecting goal........possibly completing my T206 all-SOVEREIGN master set.

TED Z

baseballart
09-27-2012, 09:17 AM
In cards, a T4 of a Vancouver or Victoria player.

In memorabilia, a dust jacketed copy of Mathewson's Won in the Ninth or Chance's The Bride and the Pennant.

Max

Runscott
09-27-2012, 10:34 AM
If I had unlimited resources I would collect game-used items from the Buxton Wonders, 1909-11 Chicago Giants and 1909-11 Kansas City,KS Giants. As-is, my goal is still to pick up something significant from each team, as well as original photographs. Might happen.

h2oya311
09-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Goal:

Collect one Rookie Card of every member of the Baseball Hall of Fame

Possibility to Complete:

None, for three reasons........

1. There will never be universal agreement on which is the Rookie Card(s) for every HOF'er

2. Rarity - a few are "1-of-a-kind"

3. Price - would have to have well over $1MM+ (I don't)

+1