PDA

View Full Version : ML Baseball Awards for 2012

barrysloate
09-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Let's see who people think should win the major awards in baseball this year. Here are mine:

AL MVP: Miguel Cabrera
AL Cy Young: Jered Weaver
AL Rookie of the Year: Mike Trout

NL MVP: Buster Posey
NL CY Young: R.A. Dickey
NL Rookie of the Year: Wade Miley (Bryce Harper honorable mention)

Achievement of 2012: Miguel Cabrera's Triple Crown

novakjr
09-23-2012, 07:38 AM
AL CY: David Price(but I'd be ok with Verlander)
AL ROY: Trout. Duh!!!

NL MVP: Ryan Braun (He won't because of the failed test last year. But that was last year, and this is this year. Dude's leading in HR, 1 back in RBI, and then .20 back in BA. A late surge and he has an outside chance at the triple crown). Posey will probably get it though..
NL CY: Gio(but I'd be ok with Dickey)
NL ROY:Miley or Frazier(but Bryce could get it due to his hype)..

I do agree though: I honestly think that Miggy will get the triple crown..

David W
09-23-2012, 03:17 PM
AL MVP - Trout
AL CY - Price???? but who knows, this is wide open
AL ROY - Trout

NL MVP - Posey
NL CY - Hate the Mets, but love the RA Dickey story, so Dickey
NL ROY - There could by 5-6 guys getting first place votes (Miley, Harper, Aoki, Lynn, Cozart). Miley probably wins.

Achievement of the year..... Mike Trout's amazing season which could be overshadowed by a Triple Crown by Miguel Cabrera

Big Six
09-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Trout is a complete player...Cabrera...not so much. Trout for MVP & ROY...

barrysloate
09-23-2012, 04:47 PM
If Cabrera misses the triple crown, then I would give the MVP edge to Trout, too. But if he gets The TC it's too compelling a story and he's the MVP. Yes, Trout is a more versatile player than Cabrera.

novakjr
09-23-2012, 05:38 PM
If Cabrera misses the triple crown, then I would give the MVP edge to Trout, too. But if he gets The TC it's too compelling a story and he's the MVP. Yes, Trout is a more versatile player than Cabrera.

I can completely agree with that. Although, Trout's been somewhat average so far this month. Average at this time of year, will definitely have a negative effect on his chances..

CMIZ5290
09-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Don't rule out craig kimbrell for the n.l. Cy young, 40 saves and an era of 1.06....pretty damn impressive.

majordanby
09-26-2012, 11:27 AM
AL MVP: Trout.
AL Cy Young: Verlander
AL ROY: Trout

NL MVP: Posey
NL Cy Young: Dickey
NL ROY: Miley

I think Trout is a better overall player this season, but wouldnt be surprised if cabrera won - largely because of the narrative around the triple crown.

cubsfan-budman
09-26-2012, 11:35 AM
If Cabrera wins the Triple Crown, I'd consider it a crime if he didn't win MVP.

Never happened in my lifetime and is a monumental achievement anyhow.

barrysloate
09-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Cabrera will have to have a hot final week to win the Triple Crown. He is one behind Hamilton in HR's, and there are several hitters just a handful of points behind him in the batting race, notably Mauer and Trout. So if he starts to feel the pressure and slumps even a little, he won't be able to do it.

Robextend
09-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Besides AL Cy Young, I agree with Barry.

AL Cy Young: David Price
AL Rookie of the Year: Mike Trout

NL MVP: Buster Posey
NL CY Young: R.A. Dickey
NL Rookie of the Year: Wade Miley

Jason
09-26-2012, 05:49 PM
M.V.P...Cabrera/Posey
Cy Young...Price/Gonzalez
Rookie Of The Year...Trout/Harper

I could be biased since I have watched the Nationals all year but you got to give it to Harper.With the N.L. C.Y Young its really a toss up between Gio and Dickey.

Jlighter
09-28-2012, 10:56 PM
I consider MVP to mean the most valuable player on their team, Miggy fits that definition perfectly.

chaddurbin
10-01-2012, 03:04 PM
I consider MVP to mean the most valuable player on their team, Miggy fits that definition perfectly.

is a guy more valuable to his team if he can only hit? or if he can hit, run, and play defense? like kevin durant is the best offensive player in the nba, but is he more valuable than lebron james who can score, pass, and play defense?

novakjr
10-01-2012, 03:26 PM
is a guy more valuable to his team if he can only hit? or if he can hit, run, and play defense? like kevin durant is the best offensive player in the nba, but is he more valuable than lebron james who can score, pass, and play defense?

don't forget be an all out douche!!!:D

barrysloate
11-13-2012, 04:43 AM
Bryce Harper got the ROY after all. Most of us missed that one.

Runscott
11-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Bryce Harper got the ROY after all. Most of us missed that one.

It's almost like all-star voting: the masses vote in the guys who get the most media attention - as such, they undoubtedly would have voted for Harper. But knowledgeable guys like you wouldn't.

novakjr
11-14-2012, 08:43 AM
I think the question asked in the first place was who "should" win the awards.

I don't think we all necessarily missed it, as opposed to, it's not really what the question was..

We all gave honest answers, and I think a few of us even specified that Bryce's hype could win him the award, despite maybe not being most deserving..

barrysloate
11-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Good point David.

Runscott
11-14-2012, 11:27 AM
you're right. If I might have offended anyone with my (what I thought was) an innocent evaluation, I'll go back and delete it.

Scott <=== back on his eggshells.

barrysloate
11-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Congrats to R.A. Dickey....he was pretty much the only reason to watch the Mets this year.