PDA

View Full Version : Brief Rant

4k6
09-20-2012, 11:39 PM
This seems to happen to me more often lately on eBay...

I find a slabbed/mid-grade card from my want list with nice eye appeal and snipe accordingly. I'm the underbidder, oh well. But then a week later the EXACT same card gets relisted by the high bidder as either:

A - Still graded with an inflated "Buy It Now" price

B - Cracked/raw as an auction with a photo/description contrived to convince the buyer that it's the most "breathtaking" card ever printed

It just annoys the hell outta me.

Matthew H
09-20-2012, 11:58 PM
I'm with you on that *BREATHTAKING** guy. I bought some cards from him not knowing what he was doing when I first started buying cards again... Super annoying. You'll also notice that he never loses money on cards... :rolleyes:

travrosty
09-21-2012, 01:25 AM
This seems to happen to me more often lately on eBay...

I find a slabbed/mid-grade card from my want list with nice eye appeal and snipe accordingly. I'm the underbidder, oh well. But then a week later the EXACT same card gets relisted by the high bidder as either:

A - Still graded with an inflated "Buy It Now" price

B - Cracked/raw as an auction with a photo/description contrived to convince the buyer that it's the most "breathtaking" card ever printed

It just annoys the hell outta me.

why is it annoying? you didnt win, bid more next time and you wont have to be annoyed. Obviously you bid as much as you were possibly willing to pay, so someone else was willing to pay more. there is no such things as sniping, both parties put in the maximum amount they were willing to pay, whether it was anytime during the auction, or 1 second left to bid, and his amount was more.

sportscardpete
09-21-2012, 05:09 AM
I think the "breathtaking" guy makes out with his cards..

In all seriousness the only problem I have with these types of auctions is that the scans are so good you think the card could grade higher than it actually will.

D. Bergin
09-21-2012, 10:07 AM
I think "B" would annoy me far more then "A".

People can charge whatever they like for their cards, but to deceptively offer cracked raw cards, making people think they will grade higher then they actually will is pretty scummy IMO.

markf31
09-21-2012, 10:14 AM
I think "B" would annoy me far more then "A".

People can charge whatever they like for their cards, but to deceptively offer cracked raw cards, making people think they will grade higher then they actually will is pretty scummy IMO.

This has been discussed before. I have no problem with someone cracking a card to try to sell it for more as a raw card. There are many cards that present nicer than their assigned grade...so why not. And a grade is afterall just an opinion, one person's VG could be another's VG/EX.

Now I do have a problem if they crack a trimmed or authentic grade and try to pass it off as something that it's not, that is disingenuous and scummy.

t206blogcom
09-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Well, I recently bought one of those *breathtaking* cards and it came back trimmed! So I'll hold my breath in the future.

peterose4hof
09-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Are these "breathtaking" cards coming from seller G_L_A_H ?

Matthew H
09-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Are these "breathtaking" cards coming from seller G_L_A_H ?

That's one of them, although I personally think they are all the same selller.

tbob
09-21-2012, 11:45 AM
This has been discussed before. I have no problem with someone cracking a card to try to sell it for more as a raw card. There are many cards that present nicer than their assigned grade...so why not. And a grade is afterall just an opinion, one person's VG could be another's VG/EX.

Now I do have a problem if they crack a trimmed or authentic grade and try to pass it off as something that it's not, that is disingenuous and scummy.

+1

chaddurbin
09-21-2012, 12:07 PM
i avoid auctions with "BREATHTAKING" and +++++++ after the grade and "God bless America..." in the description.