PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Bat w/ Patent # 716541 Help, please.

Thomas Morgan
09-19-2012, 08:44 PM
First post for me and am glad to be a member. Thanks, Leon. Hi all. I just acquired, I believe a late 1800's bottle bat with no trademark but has the word in scroll Patent or Patented 716541. Does anyone have any history about this particular bat? 31 inches with black paint halfway up the handle to the barrel. Thank you all in advance.

MGHPro
09-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Is it the one that was on ebay? If so, It should have an H&B logo on it, might be faded but it should be there.

Butch7999
09-19-2012, 11:16 PM
US Patent 716,541, "Bat," patent granted to John A Hillerich of Louisville Kentucky, 23 December 1902.

"...My invention relates to improvements in base-ball bats and in the process or method of producing the same, and has for its objects
to harden the surface of the bat and promote its ball-driving quality, while the full elasticity of the wood in the body of the bat is preserved;
also, to preserve the bat from checking, chipping, or splintering on its surface from exposure to the sun or weather; also, to improve the finish
and appearance of the bat by the same means which increases its above-mentioned useful qualities.

"...my invention, relating more particularly to the surfacing of the bat, is not dependent on the solidity or integral character of the same,
but may be applied in bats of sectional or hollow construction. After the bat... has been turned to the desired form the surface of the
driving part... is hardened, smoothed, and finished at the same time by the application of friction and heat... "

Welcome to the board, Thomas!

Thomas Morgan
09-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Thank you very much for the welcome and the information. A great site!

19cbb
09-22-2012, 09:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/EdRSZ.jpg