PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted from T206 collectors (well, any set builders) ...

lloydchristmas
09-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I've just discovered the thrill that is T206 collecting and wanted to get some opinions from the board residents/experts. I'm working on a somewhat fixed budget (roughly $300/month) and wanted to know what's the best way to go about working on this set? Pretty much, should I seek out the HOFers now or focus more on the commons till I get my feet wet? I've noticed that most of the HOFers can be found on eBay at any given time, but a lot of the commons, especially those with eye appeal, appear to be in the minority.

I may have answered my own question with that last sentence, but would still like to know what the group thinks.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

BearBailey
09-16-2012, 07:32 PM
I don't feel there is a right or wrong answer to this. Most importantly buy what you can when you can in the grade that you are looking for. In a set with over 500 cards and you haven't started yet, just go for it.

Rob D.
09-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Ryan,

My answer to questions like this is always to try to buy the Hall of Famers and any high-demand or short-print cards first, for the simple reason that if you end up bailing on the set, you're going to find it easier to get all or at least most of your money back with Hall of Famers than commons.

And if your budget allows it, try to avoid beaters. Although there is absolutely nothing wrong with collecting off-condition cards and many people truly enjoy them, the fact is that you'll be selling to a much smaller market if you offer rougher-looking cards.

3-2-count
09-16-2012, 07:53 PM
I would look for larger groups or lots in what condition your aiming for vs buying to many singles right out of the gate. More bang for the buck IMO. I'd be willing to bet you could post "looking for a group/lot of T206's" right now on the b/s/t and you'd have your pm box filled in a matter of hours.

Jantz
09-16-2012, 08:42 PM
+1 to what Rob D. said. Thats good advice!

One thing I would like to add is "Buy the card, not the holder"

Jantz

3-2-count
09-16-2012, 09:09 PM
"Buy the card, not the holder"

Jantz

First and foremost!! Agreed.

brianp-beme
09-16-2012, 10:31 PM
+1 to what Rob D. said. Thats good advice!

One thing I would like to add is "Buy the card, not the holder"

Jantz

And if so inclined, and I am practically horizontal when it comes to this, " Buy the card, WITHOUT the holder."

Brian

jp1216
09-17-2012, 06:35 AM
Always have an eye out for a 'deal'. Do research. Know which SLer cards etc are harder to find. Know to pickup a $50 for $20 when you see it. I built my set on a budget - it can be done. T206s aren't rare - they are everywhere! Print a checklist. Build subsets along the way. Team sets, portraits, horizontals etc...

lloydchristmas
09-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the advice thus far everyone. Coming from coin collecting in the past, I've always followed the virtue of "buy the coin (card), not the holder."

teetwoohsix
09-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Hi Ryan-

Great advice given so far. I am going for as much of the set as possible and trying to stay somewhat in a VG to V/G-EX range, and trying to get a good blend of different backs in there.

If you are going for the whole set, you will need the commons just as much as the HOF'ers & the SL'ers. The commons are more affordable, and if you can locate tough front/back combinations for commons it makes it a little more exciting buying them (for me at least). I mix it up, since I need so many still I will pick up a HOF'er here and there, and then some commons. I'll probably wait until I'm over the halfway point before I start focusing on the SL'ers.

RobD. is right-if you aren't sure about whether or not you are in it for the long haul, HOF'ers are the best bet to focus on. And, Tony gave you solid advice about picking up groups.

Good luck hunting-

Sincerely, Clayton

*edit to add- +1 to what Jantz said* "Buy the card, not the holder" :D

markf31
09-18-2012, 07:45 AM
While I'm not a t206 collector, my monster number is 0, I might one day look to start in on the set. The beauty of the set is there are so many different ways to collect it which is a huge part of it's appeal for many.

When I do start, I will probably begin with a subset and give myself small subset goals along the way. Maybe a team subset, HOF subset, a specific back subset, a rare back subset, etc.

In my mind setting smaller goals will keep your attention and keep you interested in trying to complete smaller more manageable subsets as oppsed to setting the lofty goal of 520 which can become daunting in it's scope.