PDA

View Full Version : HOF Postcard Thoughts and Observations...

jimjim
09-16-2012, 07:26 AM
Hey Everyone,

Since I just purchased a Richie Ashburn HOF postcard, it made me do some thinking. I am wondering why Kirby Puckett autographed HOF postcards are so much more expensive than Ashburn. I know there is the argument of supply vs. demand, but it just doesn't seem right to me. I know that Puckett charged about $75 per auto, so that kept collectors away to a point. But the serious collectors still paid up to complete their collection. Same with Ashburn, who was cheaper.

Ashburn only had about 2 years to sign the postcard before his untimely passing from the time they were produced in August 1995 to Sept 1997. Puckett had August 2001 to March 2006. That is over 2x as much time. Even taking into account that Puckett wasn't as accessible, I can't come up with a good reason for why Ashburn is considerably cheaper than Puckett.

Any thoughts?

MacDice
09-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Ashburn was a very willing signer TTM so he was very easy to get on almost anything for free where as Kirby was almost impossible TTM. Lou Boudreau was another one, anytime you sent something to him he would return it signed and included a signed HOF postcard. I must have around 6 of those laying around somewhere.

byrone
09-16-2012, 10:05 AM
How tough is Harry Hooper?

jimjim
09-17-2012, 06:44 AM
How tough is Harry Hooper?

I think he signed pretty easily TTM, but that was decades ago. He passed before the major collecting boom, so he is still pretty tough.

mr2686
09-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Brian, you won't have any trouble finding a signed Harry Hooper HOF Postcard, the problem is that they've gone up in price over the last couple of years. I've seen them from $200 - $400, but if you hold out you should be able to find one much much cheaper.