PDA

View Full Version : 1927 Program Questions

aelefson
09-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Hi-
I am trying to complete a trade with my friend and to do so, we are trying to estimate the value of a few different 1927 programs. I was hoping some folks on the board might be able to help with possible estimates. Please note that these programs are not for sale. All are in niceish shape with little to no tearing or flaking, but the paper is a bit fragile.
There are 3 programs I am interested in.
1. 1927 Yankees Red Sox neatly scored with Ruth homerun (I think it was a late August or early September game)
2. 1927 Red Sox Philadelphia Athletics neatly scored with Ty Cobb having two hits
3. 1927 Red Sox vs Other Opponent

I do not think I will be able to trade for the first one but I am curious how much it goes for anyway. I could not find examples via Google, but I am not always that good at searching. I assume Ruth HR programs from 1927 are particularly desirable.
Regarding the other two, I can easily find pricing examples for early programs (pre 1920) and later (post 1930) but am having difficulty finding pricing information on 1920s programs. Any help regrding approximate values or collectibility would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

aelefson
09-28-2012, 05:24 PM
I figured I would bump this once to see if anyone can help me with approximate values. I am eager to complete a trade with my friend, but neither of us wants to take advantage of the other which is why we are hoping for some assistance.
Thanks again,
Alan

Ulidia
09-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Massive rule of thumb and over-generalisation but circa $100 value for late 1920s normal season programs but higher ($200+) for 1927 Yankees. That said, sold a Yankees home from 1927 for more than $500 before - but, I think that's an exception rather than the rule.

Old Hoss
09-29-2012, 05:12 PM
To me, the price varies considerably depending on a number of basic factors:

-Is it scored neatly, and is the scoring system used easy to follow? Is the handwriting neat and clear?
-Is it scored accurately? ie: does the scoring match what actually happened?
-What happened in that game?
-Are there any additional inscriptions that are interesting?
-How much do you value a Babe Ruth home run game, or a Ty Cobb hit game? They both did these things quite a bit :)

-Is the program itself generic, or is it stadium or date specific?
-Is there anything about the programs that make them particularly attractive, or particularly ugly?

-Then the actual condition--everything intact, nothing loose (or almost loose), clean pages (no stains/residue, etc), and so on..

Since valuation is ultimately so subjective, I can't give you any specific amount. For example, in my personal valuations, if a program is sloppily scored, scored inaccurately, or looks like it is not period scoring, the value would take a major hit. And this is even before other condition issues might be factored in.

Hope this helps a bit!
Charles

patricka
09-29-2012, 10:30 PM
1. $250
2. $75
3. $50

aelefson
09-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Thank you very much for everyone's replies. All of the games are neatly scored (and scored correctly as my they include a webpage printout of the game's box scores) which is why I thought they were so interesting. Some have condition issues (flaking) but I believe I will get one where Cobb had a hit or two and it is in nice shape (not perfect).

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Alan