PDA

View Full Version : Displaying football bench

D. Broughman
09-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Do any of you have a football bench and how are you displaying it? I have a fiberglass bench cap from The Big House in Michigan. Should I hang it on the wall or fix it into a bench and use it by the barbecue grill? It is about 6 feet long. Thanks D.

CarltonHendricks
09-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Pretty cool piece...6 ft is doable...you could mount that on your wall easy enough. I woiuld recommend mounting it horizontal. To make it viable...that is to impress the viewer you'd want to go to a trophy maker, brick and mortar or online, and have about 12" wide by 6" tall brass plaque engraved that expounds on it...nothing too long...just a short explanation of what it is etc. You might want to give it's era and mention any significant teams that sat on it....Like I say try to keep it short but as interesting as you can...play with the wording till you get it right and plan out the font sizes, title, treatment etc.....then mount it centered between the 26 and 25.

You might want to get about say five framed 8" x 10" action shots and head shots of some top Michigan players that used it and hang them above it. And if there is any possibility of doing so get the bench top signed by some of those big name players.

And of course you can add to the display over time...get a game used helmet, a jersey, whatever....them move the photos below and display the hardware above it....Then once you get finished with that you can start on the goal posts :-)

David W
09-17-2012, 10:53 AM
How about turning it into a shelf mounted on the wall?

You could display Michigan memorablila on it (or for a real classy look, Ohio State memorabilia).

D. Broughman
09-18-2012, 04:16 PM
David I like your idea of using it as a shelf to display my Michigan items. I put it on two chairs and put my picture of Bo visiting the Big House for the last time (his last night), His signed book, my signed Lloyd Carr football and my signed Tom Harmon charity baseball game program. Will have to find the right brackets to hang on the wall. As for the Ohio memorabilia I am afraid it would fall down under pressure:D Thanks for the idea.