PDA

View Full Version : Becky Hedin - Memorial Fund

Leon
09-15-2012, 08:40 AM
Hey Folks
IN speaking with Barry S. we feel a thread to help raise money for Becky's funeral expenses will be a good thing to help Bill in this time of need. IF anyone feels they would like to make a donation I will be taking them in my paypal account until this Tuesday, 9-18-2012. On 9-19-2012 I will be writing Bill a check for all monies donated plus a donation from me, of course. Please send any money to my paypal account, leonl@flash.net as a gift and I will make sure all of it gets to Bill asap. I will put a card in the envelope with everyone's name that contributed. If anyone wants to send anything otherwise Bill's address is below. That being said a lump sum might be a bit easier for Bill to deal with at this point in time. I want to offer my sincere condolences to Bill and family in this time of sorrow. Bill's address is:

Bill Hedin
3 Murray Rd.
Framingham, MA 01701

sincerely,
leon

Jay Wolt
09-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Leon / Barry great idea!
Will send a payment to you this afternoon

barrysloate
09-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Hey guys- Bill is going through a really terrible time right now and I know he can use a little help from his friends. If anybody can give a little something, by sending a gift through Leon, we can all help him with the funeral expenses. Please assist in any way you can. Bill is one of the truly good guys on this board and I am sure he will be grateful for anything we can do to make things a little easier for him. Thank you in advance to everyone on Net54.

Barry

Dave1943
09-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Thanks Barry/Leon for the excellent idea. Gift forwarded to Leon.

Matthew H
09-15-2012, 09:11 AM
Great idea Leon.

Helping out, even if it's just a little bit, I know goes a long way. I've dealt with 4 deaths over the last 5 years and having to worry about cost, while trying to cope, is hard to do.

I sent Bill a little something last night, I know a few others did too. I just sent you a little bit more. I had a little money floating around Paypal, which probably would have gone to another card I don't need. I encourage everyone to check their Paypal account, you might have a similar situation.

-Matt

Pup6913
09-15-2012, 09:35 AM
$ sent Leon. I would also be willing to auction off a card or 2 for Bill. I know the board helped me very much with that type of deal when my daughter Kadence was diagnosed with Lekumemia last July. Any chances maybe we could get something like that again? Just a thought.

Wite3
09-15-2012, 09:53 AM
$ sent...

Often in OBC when tragedy like this happens we have a benefit auction. We can either raise money for Bill's expenses or he can make a donation to a non-profit. Just an idea.

Joshua

bbcard1
09-15-2012, 10:03 AM
I am on the road but will get a check out at one of my stops.

Leon
09-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Thanks to everyone for helping Bill out so far. One other thing, I got a PM concerning the fact that one of our members doesn't use Paypal but wants to contribute with our group. I am happy to help facilitate that too. If that is the case just make a check, or money order, out to me and send it to me (address below) and I will include that full amount in my check to Bill on Wed.....Please PM or email me how much you will be sending (absolutely any amount will help) and I will include your name on the card and that amount in the check I write. To keep this in the spirit of generosity I will not be putting each amount a person donates in the correspondence to Bill. Each person helping is appreciated greatly for anything they can do. We have raised close to a thousand dollars already. I will update the board with the amount being sent to Bill when I do it. I am sure this will help Bill a lot. Our board, and everyone's kindness, never ceases to amaze me. You guys are the best.

In response to a few thoughts concerning an auction for a card to help etc.....I think in this instance lets just keep it simple with a donation and get Bill the money as soon as is being suggested. With a group this size, from experience, keeping things simple usually helps. The main thing is to help our board member in need and that is precisely what these donations are doing. Those suggestions are appreciated though and I understand they are meant with the utmost respect and caring in mind.

best regards

Leon Luckey
1065 Wendy Lane
Lucas TX 75002

71buc
09-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Money sent, thanks for creating a means for the board to reach out and help.

t206blogcom
09-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Money sent via PayPal

Robextend
09-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Money sent via Paypal...thanks for coordinating this effort.

AndyG09
09-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Barry and Leon,

Thank you very much for birthing this idea to help Bill. Funds sent.

Best,

Andy

ethicsprof
09-15-2012, 11:59 AM
many thanks to barry and leon for doing this on the board's behalf.
my paypal is sent.

Barry

barrysloate
09-15-2012, 12:54 PM
I also want to thank everyone who has helped out so far. We are a very tight community and I'm proud to say that we can help each other when the need is greatest. You never know when a tragedy may strike that will turn your world unexpectedly upside down. We all know we are doing a good deed for Bill.

peterose4hof
09-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Money sent. Thanks to Leon and Barry for spearheading this effort. God bless you Bill!

BradH
09-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Bill. Money sent.

sreader3
09-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks for arranging this. PayPal sent.

Scot Reader

teetwoohsix
09-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Thank you Leon for doing this, it is very commendable of you. I will have something on the way as well. It is great when a community comes together to help another out, in a time of need. Thank you.

Sincerely, Clayton

*Edit to add- sorry Barry S.- meant to thank you as well !!!!:o:)

Big Six
09-15-2012, 06:01 PM
PayPal sent...wish it was more...Matt

gnaz01
09-15-2012, 06:16 PM
PayPal sent, Billy is a great man, have known him for 20+ years and my heart goes out to him.

19cbb
09-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Leon, money sent via PayPal.
Thanks for coordinating the Memorial Fund and here's a +1 for Wite3's benefit auction idea.

Jimmy

Rickyy
09-16-2012, 02:59 AM
Thanks for a great idea Leon and Barry!

Ricky Y

GrayGhost
09-16-2012, 05:33 AM
I just lost a second job in five months yesterday, or I would send some PP money. If you have a benefit auction or something, I would try to send some type of item, if I could, tho my stuff is all cheapie.

My main point tho is the INCREDIBLE gesture that this is. I have loved this board since the day my friend told me about it. People pulling together as one family like this is amazing. God Bless all of you and To Bill and his family, MY DEEPEST CONDOLENCES of course.

daves_resale_shop
09-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Leon,

Money sent via paypal.

Although I didn't know Bill, his shows were my first exposure the this hobby... Always put on classy events, and ultimately created the foundation for my love of the hobby.

Bill, Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.
-Dave

pcoz
09-16-2012, 07:15 AM
Leon, money sent via paypal. Thanks!

NATCARD
09-16-2012, 08:37 AM
I have been friends with Bill for over 30 years. I am very saddened to hear of his loss and know he will aprecdiate what this board is doing for him, JEFF W

Leon
09-16-2012, 08:57 AM
I haven't communicated with Bill yet but I want to thank all of our members who have donated and prayed for him. I haven't counted the number of donations yet but there are probably 80+ with a total raised, as of right now, of $4020. I will be communicating with Bill and getting the check out asap. I might send a check before Wed and do a follow up if need be. That way we can get him the help as quick as possible. Everyone has been so generous it gives me a very warm feeling for our board. Our members are truly some of the best in the hobby.

ps...For the record there will never be a public list of those who donated. I don't feel it's right to make anyone feel obligated, or pressured, and that could make someone feel that way. However, as stated, I will put each donor's name in with the card and money I (we) send. thanks

Buythatcard
09-16-2012, 09:09 AM
I don't know who Bill is but he sounds like he is well respected on this board. My donation has been sent.

My condolences to Bill and his family.

pgellis
09-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Money sent via PayPal.

My condolences to Bill and his family. He has been in my thoughts a lot this weekend. I have never met Bill in person, but have had conversations on this board with him.

ZernialFan
09-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Memorial donation sent. Condolences to Bill and his family.

barrysloate
09-16-2012, 09:51 AM
That's great news Leon. A heartfelt thanks to everyone who has stepped up to help one of our own.

Peter W Thomas
09-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Leon, Money sent by paypal from linda and I

7nohitter
09-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Over $4,000! This board, thanks to the members, is incredible. This amount of money will certainly ease some of Bill's financial stress.

Tim Kindler
09-16-2012, 03:30 PM
It's awesome to see so many people give to a fellow board member in need. Like many others, I too, am short of cash right now, and I don't have a Paypal account, but I've come up with a way that I and someone else can help Bill. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a Mike Schmidt Rookie card off Bagger's Auction on a whim, and because at that time, I had $125 play money. I paid $123. with the BP included and the card has an approximate SMR value of $200 because it is an SGC 86/7.5 NM+. I want to do my part to help Bill out, so if you want the card for $100 even; (PRIVATE MESSAGE ME FIRST) I will sell it to the first person who sends $100 to Leon's Paypal account at leonl@flash.net as a gift. Please Private Message Me BEFORE you send the Paypal Gift so I don't have more than one person donating the $100 for the Schmidt card. I hope this is an ok way to do my part to help out Bill. Once the card is sold I will let everyone know right away.

########################CARD IS SOLD!!!!!!!!! DONATION OF $100 Sent to Bill on behalf of the buyer, Matt McCarthy/Big Six, and my donation of the card for the selling price. God Bless Bill and his family during this tough, trying time.###################
Thanks,
Tim Kindler

emmygirl
09-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Hi Leon, money sent via paypal. Prayers continue for Bill and Family and friends.

wrapperguy
09-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Great gesture by all involved. Money has been sent.

GoldenAge50s
09-16-2012, 11:27 PM
This is a very kind & thoughful thing you are doing.

JEFFV96MASTERS
09-17-2012, 02:04 AM
BECKY'S OBIT (http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/metrowestdailynews/obituary.aspx?pid=159903963#fbLoggedOut)

POST / OPINION NO LONGER AVAILABLE

mrvster
09-17-2012, 05:04 AM
Leon Barry and all the rest,

This is great helping one of our own in a time of need....sending you a check:)

Peace

Johnny

soxinseven
09-17-2012, 06:46 AM
Money sent via Paypal.

Tobacco&Gum
09-17-2012, 09:42 AM
So sorry for your loss.

Donation sent.

Leon
09-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Hey Folks
Here is another quick update. I spoke with Bill on the phone a few minutes ago. He sounds as well as can be expected under the circumstances. He wants to express his heartfelt thanks and gratitude to everyone for their donations and prayers. I let him know exactly what is going on with the check(s) I will be putting in the mail for him. The first one for $4601 will go out tomorrow. I have taken those funds out of my paypal and transferred them to my bank account for Bill. Since that time we have collected about $500 more and that money, and anything else that comes in, will go out in a 2nd check in 2-3 more days. I will update the board with how many of us (it's a bit over 100 right now) donated as well as the final amount, all totaled together. I hope no one feels obligated to do anything but a prayer for Bill and his family is certainly appreciated, along with all of the donations of course. I will un-sticky this message tomorrow evening......

One other thing, as the money has come in I have not thanked everyone individually. Suffice it to say everyone's generosity is appreciated and a bit overwhelming.

mrvster
09-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Thank GOD we have someone like you to put this together:).....keep up the good work and Barry and all others involved:)....I personally don't know Bill, but can not imagine what he is going through:o.....thanks for the update..

Peace

Johnny

barrysloate
09-17-2012, 01:15 PM
I think we've all done a very good thing. Let's hope Bill can find the inner strength to deal with this.

autograf
09-17-2012, 01:59 PM
One word.....WOW....great folks around here, Huh?

Zach Wheat
09-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Leon,

Paypal donation sent. Hope in some small way our efforts help.

Z Wheat

prewarsports
09-17-2012, 03:45 PM
It is nice to see the response Leon has gotten for Bill. With all the bad that goes on in our hobby, it is a really touching thing to see that in the midst of it all, the good guys do care about each other!

God bless Bill and all those in this community who had the means and the desire to help out!

Rhys

deebro041
09-17-2012, 03:46 PM
I hope it's not too late to donate. Gift sent to Leon.
My condolences.

Leon
09-17-2012, 03:57 PM
It is nice to see the response Leon has gotten for Bill. With all the bad that goes on in our hobby, it is a really touching thing to see that in the midst of it all, the good guys do care about each other!

God bless Bill and all those in this community who had the means and the desire to help out!

Rhys

I appreciate all of the kind words but have to say it was really Barry Sloa.te's original idea on a phone call we had. I only helped facilitate it. Our board members are truly the best though. Bill is a great guy and I know this Fund and our prayers will help him a lot. I know he is extremely appreciative too. best regards

Scott L.
09-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Glad to be able to help a little.

Gift sent

Thanks.

Scott

sycks22
09-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Happy to help out. It's nice seeing a community come together.

bh3443
09-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Dear Friends,
I want to thank all of you for your thoughts, prayers and donations in my time of need. You have all touched my heart and I will never forget this.

My God, all that money will certainly help with the funeral bills and I'm truly so very happy that you wonderful friends really made a difference.

The wake and funeral are coming up: wake is Wednesday night, 5-8 and the funeral is Thursday at 10 AM. The link is in the Bill Hedin thread. I can email it to you, or you can google Rebecca Hedin Framingham, MA obituary. It's on Legacy web site forever, too.

I've been surrounded by family and friends and that has kept me busy. I've been working on ebay with some family members who are buying cards for their collections as well as helping me pick up some cards to re-sell down the road. This keeps me busy and helps me in many ways.

Cards, afterall, have always been there for us through the good times and the bad times.

Thanks again for everyones help and prayers. I never expected any financial help, but your generosity is truly appreciated and I can't thank you all enough.

Here's to better times!

Regards,
Bill Hedin

kengoldin
09-18-2012, 11:44 AM
BILL:
As i have told you privately, I am so sorry for your loss and wish you and your family the best for the future. I am so glad we re-connected after 30 (THIRTY) years and am glad i was around and able to help you in your time of need.
your friend
Ken

bh3443
09-18-2012, 11:52 AM
BILL:
As i have told you privately, I am so sorry for your loss and wish you and your family the best for the future. I am so glad we re-connected after 30 (THIRTY) years and am glad i was around and able to help you in your time of need.
your friend
Ken

Dear Ken,

Thank you my dear friend. I truly am so thankful for your help and everyones help. I have tears of joy because I truly love you all.

Becky's in Heaven with our relatives probably running the registration table at that big card show in the sky!

Ken, when the services are over and my famly is back home, I'll be calling you & others to talk. Thanks again, Bill Hedin